Legend of Grimrock - Website, Screens

Wasn't he an autobot at one time? I thought he was the strongest.... :D

He apparently doesn't like indie games, which makes this submission an oddity. *shrug*

:lol: I think he meant "Grimrock" being an autobot - not me. :lol:

I never said that I didn't like indie games. I just don't like the stuff from Vogel, Soldak or other second rate creators. I like indie games as much as everybody, as long as I am enabled to buy them boxed.

Finding about LoG was a coincident, though.

Indeed, this looks promising---especially glad to see it also on PC versus just iOS/Mac.

It'll all come down to the gameplay systems and replayability though, so I look forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

That looks amazing! I'm loving the direction indie have been going recently.

Looks fucking sic! Definitely what I have been waiting for, Eye of the Beholder 4 with modern graphics. Now they just need to make it so we have 6 man parties.

Looks like a dream come true for me. When the indie development teams finally have the tools to start making Might and Magic / Land of Lore type of games. And when they start producing these games full steam, I would probably abandon the AAA market all together. Absolutely great news, thanks

A modern-looking blob game? Cool, interested.

Visually it's very impressive.

But gameplay is king - and it's way too early to tell. My immediate impression is over-simplification of an already simple genre - but it's based on nothing except that one character screen. It could be a work in progress.

I don't know what it is about indie games that make people jump with glee, before actually seeing them in action.

I mean, if this was from an AAA developer - people'd be screaming about how simple this looked.

In my experience, the VAST majority of indie developers are incapable of making a satisfyingly deep experience - and as such, we're left with simpler inferior versions of games we've played a hundred times before.

I must be missing something.

Right now? Simply because nobody is making that style of game anymore. It would be nice to play one again. And one that actually looks decent on top. How it will turn out- sure, that remains to be seen. But I am quite happy to cheer a new team of indie RPG developers over the starting line.

Same here.

It comes down to the simple fact that AAAs do not make these types of games anymore. So where they drop the ball, indies pick it up. There have been more and more of them being developed and released. So that is why I "jump for glee" every time I see a new game in a genre that I like.

You haven't played Undercroft/Legacy/The Quest and so on?

Lots of indie developers are going for this type of game. It's the same kind of game I'm trying to make in terms of "engine" - actually.

Maybe it's because I don't think of great games by genre, but by execution. This game looks like something they've thrown together in a few weeks in terms of design - because they knew the visual appeal would be enough.

I think that's pretty boring, personally, but to each his own.

Let's see if this will be a real game, and not another "me-too" Smartphone timewaster.

Anyone taking bets? :)

Well yeah, from what I can deduce from their blog, they have literally started their studio weeks ago, so thats not surprising? The games you name, yes I play and enjoy them on my iPhone ( ;) ). Lets see how the gameplay in this one will measure up to those titles and to the best in the genre. The exitement is for seeing such a game in development, from a team that seems to have actual game dev experience, and knows how to make decen Gfx. Not for how that game will ultimately turn out. You are as quick to jump to a negative conclusion as you complain we are in jumping to a positive one.

Currently playing Might and Magic 7 and 8 and this game seems right up that alley.
Looking forward to this, it is visually attractive (for a game that is ;) )

Well yeah, from what I can deduce from their blog, they have literally started their studio weeks ago, so thats not surprising? The games you name, yes I play and enjoy them on my iPhone ( ;) ). Lets see how the gameplay in this one will measure up to those titles and to the best in the genre. The exitement is for seeing such a game in development, from a team that seems to have actual game dev experience, and knows how to make decen Gfx. Not for how that game will ultimately turn out. You are as quick to jump to a negative conclusion as you complain we are in jumping to a positive one.

There is no conclusion as of yet.

But you're right, I'm not easy to excite with attractive screenshots - and that's probably why I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Turns out it's just optimism on your part - which means there's nothing to understand.

They certainly seem talented in terms of art - but in my experience, that just means less focus on gameplay - as they're talking about a "few months". What experience do they have developing games, though? Not sure I see that anywhere.

Games like this done in a "few months" will almost assuredly be shallow.

You can call that pessimism, I suppose. I call it experience.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

I didn't see anything about when they want to be finished?
Anyway, I just find your "experience based" assumption disengenious. It's not like your own screens betrayed any more complex gameplay, so why assume that other will skimp on it based on a screenshot, especially a team of four, just because they have nice looking screens?

I didn't see anything about when they want to be finished?
Anyway, I just find your "experience based" assumption disengenious. It's not like your own screens betrayed any more complex gameplay, so why assume that other will skimp on it based on a screenshot, especially a team of four, just because they have nice looking screens?

You need to look up the word "disingenuous". The word has a lot more to do with you than it has to do with me. It's pretty clear what's going on behind your "amiable" attitude - but I have no desire to mess with that. That's on you.

Also, what are you talking about? I'm not releasing screenshots of a commercial game as if I had something to show. My game isn't anywhere near being interesting to talk about or show off - which is why I don't. Some people have asked me about it, and so I've shown them the stage I'm at.

In any case, if you read their blog a little, you'll find they're saying they intend to finish their game in a few months.

I know you want to pretend I'm somehow claiming I'm a master of game development, just because I have a LOT of experience following the industry and the developers in it. My comments have nothing to do with my own experience with developing games - as I have next to none.

It's just putting two and two together.

You should try it sometime :)

Here's what I'm basing my "assumption" on - for your convenience:

There’s only a couple weeks (six or so) of active development behind us at the moment but we have the full intent of releasing this pretty quickly, within the next few months.

The default inventory and gear tab only shows the stats that are most frequently needed or that are useful to know when deciding what the character should equip but there’s also a separate tab for more detailed info on the characters. Currently we have four stats there + some stuff related to leveling but that whole portion of the game is still in a rather primitive state so it’s still possible that those will change. Since you have up to four characters to take care of, we are trying to strike a good balance between depth and manageability.

Back
Top Bottom