Quantcast
Your top underrated games - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Your top underrated games

Default Your top underrated games

March 29th, 2017, 09:12
So, what would you consider some of your favorite games - that other people seem to greatly dislike - or that are simply very underrated overall? Could be just your perception, but still.

Here are some of mine:

Hellgate London

This is among my favorite action RPGs - and I never felt it was treated fairly. I do concede, however, that the launch was a mess - and the confused business model didn't help things.

But, the core gameplay was fantastic - and it had a lot of novel features for its time. I think it's the first game I played with truly dynamic music that changed intensity along with the combat. Also a very intricate loot system.

The Bureau: XCom Declassified

Ok, the game isn't that good. It's not really much above average - but I had more fun with it than I expected - due to the massive criticism it received, and I completed it a few years ago. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and the unique 60s vibe the game has.

Gameplay is sort of a weaker Mass Effect 2 - which means it's passable.

But it's not as bad as people made it out to be.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Won't get into details here - as I've made my opinion clear elsewhere. But I think it's MUCH better than people are saying.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#1

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 10:18
Evil Islands
Story, characters, dialogue, all bad.
Makes up for it with great gameplay.

Dink Smallwood
I literally have no idea why I like this game, none whatsoever


Those two are standout examples for me.
Damian is online now

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,103

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 10:54
Dungeon siege 1 - Best RPG ever made! It has everything you could ever asked for but simplified to hell and you can finish it in one sitting!

If any thing need a remaster or EE, its this one!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,012

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 10:55
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
Dungeon siege 1 - Best RPG ever made! It has everything you could ever asked for but simplified to hell and you can finish it in one sitting!

If any thing need a remaster or EE, its this one!
No comment on DS1

Well, except that the engine was nice and DS2 was a million times better.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 13:21
The only game that has a score less than 5/10 but IMO deserved to get much more is IMO Raven's Cry:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ravens-cry
Questionable morality of the setting and main protagonist seemed too much for politically correct at all costs critics and mainstream audience who forgot it's a videogame. Usually compared with AC4, this game is IMO more fun than Ubisoft's boredom and unlike unoptimized AC4 it doesn't hammer your CPU. Raven's Cry belongs in specific subgenre RPG/shipbattles style with Sea Dogs games.

I bet we'll see Alpha Protocol in this thread again, but 7/10 IMO means above average and not underrated (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alpha-protocol ). IMO nothing that got a score higher than 5/10 can be called underrated.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#5

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,054

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 13:33
I have a guilty secret… I actually quite liked the NWN official campaign, at least after the opening bit in the city where you were just collecting the waterhavian creatures. Its not something I'm proud about though.

More recently, I had an absolute blast with Might and Magic X despite the mediocre reception.

Finally, Grimrock II didn't seem to be received very well (or at least didn't sell well I think?) but I thought that it was absolutely awesome. A real step forward from the first one, which was also good.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#6

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 551

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 13:34
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I have a guilty secret… I actually quite liked the NWN official campaign, at least after the opening bit in the city where you were just collecting the waterhavian creatures. Its not something I'm proud about though.

More recently, I had an absolute blast with Might and Magic X despite the mediocre reception.

Finally, Grimrock II didn't seem to be received very well, but I thought that it was absolutely awesome. A real step forward from the first one, which was also good.
I liked the NWN campaign as well

The other two had reasonably warm receptions, didn't they?
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#7

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 13:39
I seem to remembera lukewarm reception to MMX but might be wrong. Grimrock II got good reviews but I don't think it sold well, the reception amongst consumers didn't seem to be great.

Oh, I have another one - Pool of Radiance, ruins of myth drannor. It wasn't great, and the file deleting bug must have properly pissed some people off, but properly patched its a half decent dungeon crawler and a decent representation of TB D&D. I wouldn't give it a glowing review - it's ok, not great - but not as terrible as reported.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 551

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 13:40
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I seem to remembera lukewarm reception to MMX but might be wrong. Grimrock II got good reviews but I don't think it sold well, the reception amongst consumers didn't seem to be great.

Oh, I have another one - Pool of Radiance, ruins of myth drannor. It wasn't great, and the file deleting big must have properly pissed some people off, but properly patched its a half decent dungeon crawler and a decent representation of TB D&D. I wouldn't give it a glowing review - it's ok, not great - but not as terrible as reported.
Well, I really liked both MMX and Grimrock II

I did NOT like the new Pool of Radiance, though - hehe.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#9

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 13:43
Fair enough!

I'd agree with lostforever on dungeon seige as well actually. Fun enough to click and kill stuff in an undemanding lazy way…
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#10

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 551

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 14:07
Dungeon Lords- Was released as a buggy mess, but beneath the mess is a decent game.

Wizards and Warriors-Another Bradly game, also released as a buggy mess, but quite good.

Dead State- Considered by the Codex one of the worst releases of the last 3 years. Despite the lackluster presentation and way too long endgame, I really enjoyed it. It uses Age of Decadence's Torque Engine and has a similar if more simple combat system.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

#11

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,398

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 14:15
Dead State is an interesting one. I played it for a bit but found the base stuff a bit flat, kinda just drifted away from it in the end… Didn't hate it, but it definitely didn't grip me.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 551

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 14:25
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslav…ey_to_the_West

I bought this because it was dirt cheap and i enjoy post apocalyptic settings but was very quickly drawn in to the story and gameplay. The camera is a bit wonky but once you get used to it you have a great game.

Toff

Guest

#13

Posts: n/a
+1:

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:14
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Dead State is an interesting one. I played it for a bit but found the base stuff a bit flat, kinda just drifted away from it in the end… Didn't hate it, but it definitely didn't grip me.
I've been thinking about giving this a second chance, since there's a deluxe edition out.

But I had much the same reaction to it upon playing it.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#14

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:14
Originally Posted by Toff View Post
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslav…ey_to_the_West

I bought this because it was dirt cheap and i enjoy post apocalyptic settings but was very quickly drawn in to the story and gameplay. The camera is a bit wonky but once you get used to it you have a great game.
Interesting Never tried this one. Will have to check it out!
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#15

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:15
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Dungeon Lords- Was released as a buggy mess, but beneath the mess is a decent game.

Wizards and Warriors-Another Bradly game, also released as a buggy mess, but quite good.

Dead State- Considered by the Codex one of the worst releases of the last 3 years. Despite the lackluster presentation and way too long endgame, I really enjoyed it. It uses Age of Decadence's Torque Engine and has a similar if more simple combat system.
I agree about Dungeon Lords, though I have to say that after giving it a serious chance - it really ended up being worse than I hoped it would be. Still, not quite as bad as people claim.

W&W was a game I actually loved upon release, but it was too buggy for me to play it much. I've always wanted to play a fixed version.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#16

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:26
Hellgate London

This is among my favorite action RPGs - and I never felt it was treated fairly. I do concede, however, that the launch was a mess - and the confused business model didn't help things.
Its actually back. A fan group has been building a multiplayer server and I have been testing it.
--
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The Second Coming- William Butler Yeats
redman5427 is offline

redman5427

redman5427's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: its kinda frozen
Posts: 1,221

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:31
Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Its actually back. A fan group has been building a multiplayer server and I have been testing it.
I'm well aware

Looking forward to the first public and stable release!
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

Sentinel

#18

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 502

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:32
Man, if I could ever get to play Hellgate and Wizards and Warriors again on my current computer, I'd be a super happy dude. Those two games ate up a lot of my time, in a great way.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, CA
Posts: 3,569
+1:

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 16:38
double pos
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston
luj1 is offline

luj1

luj1's Avatar
SasqWatch

#20

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,940
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Your top underrated games
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:20.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch