Legend of Grimrock - Release Candidate 1

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Almost Human has hit a new milestone for Grimrock, with RC1 built during the week:
Well, the game is almost done. And amazingly, it’s still pretty entertaining even for me to wander in the hallways and fight some monsters and solve puzzles even though by this point I should already be seriously overdosed by the game. And some of our friends who have been testing the game have already played the game through twice or more! Needless to say, all of this seems very promising to us and we hope the game will find its audience when it is released in April.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and what was it specifically that I meant by the game being “almost done”? Well, we’re no longer in beta, baby! On wednesday, we built the RC1, or release candidate 1, version of the game. This means that we “freeze” the development of the game (by stopping adding new features, basically) and start concentrating entirely on getting the game as stable as possible for the release. If something pops up that absolutely needs to be added to the game, it’s quite possible that we’ll have to wait until we do an update. Among the last things we improved on the game were: additional polishing of some of the GUI elements, save/load game dialog overhaul, some improved monster animations and miscellaneous level tweaks. I know the list of changes doesn’t look that impressive or sexy at this point but we needed to move carefully so we wouldn’t introduce any new bugs.
More information.

A very charming "Eye of the Beholder" clone, judging by the gameplay video. Not sure that "charming" will be enough, though, considering EOB came out in 1989! Looks like one of the more high-quality "retro-but-better" attempts to me, though :)

It's enough charming for me to definitely try it ^^ I miss this kind of game very much; I hope it'll be good, altough I'd prefer turn based combat instead of real time, but I suppose we can't have everything, right?

Still looks amazing for a DM clone. I'm far from sure it'll be particuarly engaging to play - but I'll most likely try it out.

It would be nice if we could actually choose between real-time and TB, similar to M&M VI-IX. Probably not feasible for an indie title though…

It would be nice if we could actually choose between real-time and TB, similar to M&M VI-IX.

Then it wouldn't be a Dungeon Master clone.
Part of the appeal of this type of game is the real-time combat. It not only adds a sense of urgency but it can make combat much more interesting. For example, you might back away during a fight, close a portcullis, and try to shoot your enemy through it with arrows. Or your enemy might flee when his health is low, and you chase after him only to fall through a pit trap into a den of his brethren. Or you might find a fireball trap, in which stepping on a pressure plate launches a fireball from the end of the corridor, and use that against your enemy. Now doesn't that sound more fun than just standing there taking turns slugging each other until someone dies?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom