Baldur's Gate - Release on Nov 28th

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Trent Oster tweets that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition should be available on November 28th, two days earlier than the previously announced delayed date. This is on PC, at least - other platforms may depend on rights-holders:
We are targeting November 28 for all platforms. Since we have approvals, etc, we can't 100% control the date on iOS, Mac and Android
Interestingly, they are expecting their sales on the iPad:
We're expecting the majority of sales on the iPad.
More information.

key word here is "should." Maybe Beamdog will pull the plug at literally the last minute and say that they just want to add that extra polish. Of course, everyone will then agree that if the delay will help make a better game they will not mind the wait...

Is there any word on what the surprise will be for those that pre-ordered and have been patiently waiting?

We're expecting the majority of sales on the iPad.

Of course it will its a platform that will sell the game cheaper. Also due to GOG most people have already played the game on pc. They want to play on the iPad instead.

Still can't wait to see what is improved or it just turns out to be a gimmick.:smug:

Watched a gameplay vid and I can't really see what they enhanced. It doesn't surprise me they expect most their sales on iPad. I suspect most people who'd like to replay BG on the PC already have it. I broke it out of mothballs for another play session, but I think I'm about done with replaying games as old as Fallout and BG now. Classic computer games don't age as well as classic cars.

There's been plenty of interviews and information of what's being added / enhanced. For PC people there isn't that much new to see, at least if you've played the game heavily modded already.

I don't really understand all the hate, at least not from people who supposedly like old school RPG's. Exactly how is it bad that we might get even more Infinity Engine games again?

There's been plenty of interviews and information of what's being added / enhanced. For PC people there isn't that much new to see, at least if you've played the game heavily modded already.

I don't really understand all the hate, at least not from people who supposedly like old school RPG's. Exactly how is it bad that we might get even more Infinity Engine games again?

Well information and interviews do not show everything or what has been enhanced. We only have screenshots and descriptions of the added content to make an opinion. Playing the game will tell if it's worth the money or not.

As for more infinity games maybe. I'm not holding my breath on that. They mentioned they might make more but time will tell. At least it will bring bring the game to new gamers who never played them.

That's not what i replied to though, he said there isnt any "good info", which absolutely isnt true. I doubt there's gonna be much else in the EE than what they've already explained. However if the new content will good or not, yes that remains to be seen. For fans of BG that wants to replay it on the iPAD it's a no-brainer, imo.

I agree with what others have said here regarding getting it on PC. I'll have a Nexus (Android) tablet by the end of the year and will definitely want to get it on that platform (assuming the reviews are mostly bug free).

I don't really understand all the hate, at least not from people who supposedly like old school RPG's.

The scaling of the absolutely beautiful original background art is something that turned me right off on this project. Also the new maps, and other additions I really do not like at all. It's like they were trying to fix something that was never broken to begin with.

Exactly how is it bad that we might get even more Infinity Engine games again?

Well thankfully we have Project Eternity from an established developer who has a track record of very enjoyable cRPGs. What exactly have Beamdog done to warrant excitement of more IE games from them?

Upscaling the backgrounds is what broke it for you? Ok, sure :/ As for the additional content, they have to come up with some reason for people to grab this instead of the original. Not saying it will be good, but from a business standpoint, I understand why they felt they had to.

I would rather someone try and fail than no one to try at all. And even if PE ends up being the coolest thing ever, why shouldn't other companies also try to make their mark? You can play more than one game at a time you know :)

FWIW, a certain person that knew the original Baldur's Gate pretty damn well and ended up doing beta testing for this new edition was pretty upbeat about how things are going to turn out so long as all was situated as it should be given this last polishing delay.

So yeah, I'm expecting good things from this overall all things considered.

The scaling of the absolutely beautiful original background art is something that turned me right off on this project.

So what if we can now see more of the landscape? I personally prefer it that way. They've also said numerous times that they're going to add scroll wheel zoom, a big advantage over the mods (or the original game) where the view is locked. Also there arent any full screen images yet AFAIK. Pretty sure it's gonna look just as good as with the widescreen/hi-res mod, probably slightly better.

Well thankfully we have Project Eternity from an established developer who has a track record of very enjoyable cRPGs. What exactly have Beamdog done to warrant excitement of more IE games from them?

I'd say the old Bioware has a pretty decent track record? BeamDog = old bioware devs (Trent Oster former lead programmer for Bioware + they have some other former Bioware people there as well i believe). And yes depending on the success of this they've said there might be more IE games created.

I'd say the old Bioware has a pretty decent track record? BeamDog = old bioware devs (Trent Oster former lead programmer for Bioware + they have some other former Bioware people there as well i believe). And yes depending on the success of this they've said there might be more IE games created.

My point is Beamdog have not done anything, so I have no idea what this group is capable of (I DO know what Obsidian is capable of). Just because they are old BioWare devs doesn't mean crap. Though with this EE we shall soon see what this new group is capable of.

Personally I'm going to wait and see. It depends a lot on the price; if it isn't too high then it might be worth picking up for the PC.

Haters are going to hate. They tend to be a vocal group as they want others to join their hate-filled agenda. But I usually don't take theirs for the majority viewpoint.

My point is Beamdog have not done anything, so I have no idea what this group is capable of (I DO know what Obsidian is capable of). Just because they are old BioWare devs doesn't mean crap. Though with this EE we shall soon see what this new group is capable of.

They've done a remake of MDK2, it got good reviews (for a HD remake).

Also, Obsidians track record is far from perfect. They're also very well known for their often half-finished and always very buggy games. Still looking forward to P.E, but it's not something that i will play at release considering it's Obsidian. I'm sure it will be a good game 2-3 years after its release though, like many of their games that has to be fixed by fans.

I'm honestly pretty skeptical at this point, and I was very optimistic early on. Go back and check my comments out on this if you don't believe me.

A few things have led to this:
1. The last minute release date move. Shifty move, man. They knew it was getting pushed back, probably weeks ahead of time. Yet they were encouraging preorders just days before the move. Shifty.
2. I was very interested in what UI improvements they would make. AFAICT, the UI is damn near identical, at least to BGII.
3. The graphical "upgrades" seem to hardly be upgrades at all. I'm not sold I'll even prefer this one's looks to the classic+WS/etc.

My souring on this stuff has also made me more skeptical about the extra content. If it's as good as the other "upgrades," no thanks. I'll keep my GOG versions with mods.

Of course, I could be wrong. If reviews come out and say, "Yep, it's worth a double dip," I'll seriously consider it. Still.. 5 bucks says they'll look more like this: "It's a moderate improvement but nothing major. There's no need to double dip on PC, but it might be worth it for tablet-owning RPG-hungry gamers."

Back
Top Bottom