Quantcast
Belgium says loot boxes are gambling - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Belgium says loot boxes are gambling

Default Belgium says loot boxes are gambling

Today, 01:21
Belgium wants the EU to ban in-app purchases if you don't know what your getting. I would rather an outright ban but still better than nothing.

http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-…ffer-pcgamertw

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Today, 02:30
I think they got it just right. I don’t care about microtransactions ( knowing what you’re paying for) but random lootboxes are the devil.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

Today, 03:02
Be careful what you wish for. Is buying a card pack for Magic: The Gathering gambling?

That said, the game industry (especially mobile games aimed at kids) is in desperate need of a clean up. A lot of game companies out there seem far more interested in profitable psychology tricks than game play these days. (And, if a friendly politician can sneak in a "no checkpoint-only save systems" into the rules while the others aren't looking, so much the better. ;)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Today, 03:05
Personally, I also care about clear microtransactions, as I think games are now being designed to manipulate players into in-game purchases, rather than simply being quality entertainment that are the purchases in themselves.

But, that's not really something that can be addressed in law - I just hope that the market will reject it.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Today, 03:06
These are not the droids you are looking for.

Patent Applicant: ACTIVISION PUBLISHING

System and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games

Abstract
A system and method is provided that drives microtransactions in multiplayer video games. The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Today, 04:04
Hurrah for Belgium!

__

RPGFool

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
+1:

Today, 04:44
loading…

Its a trap! lol

Also go Hawaii!

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Today, 06:06
Eeesh, their futures as YouTube personalities look bleak. I really wish they would have done a bit more to explain HOW this counts as gambling, though. Most voters don't know.

This will be an interesting debate to watch.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Today, 11:08
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Is buying a card pack for Magic: The Gathering gambling?
No. You can exchange duplicates with a local hobo. Without paying any fee to some inhouse something, so you should ask about Steam cards next.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Belgium says loot boxes are gambling