Torment: Tides of Numenera - Update 6, Inhabiting the Bodies of Others

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
New update, new video, new stuff.
We’re generally planning for 2-3 updates per week. If you're interested in more frequent Torment news, follow us on our Facebook and tumblr pages (and @BrianFargo), which we'll update more frequently.
TL;DR: Colin talks about the Meres (video). George Ziets is on board. Some glimpses into post-death gameplay. New $2.75m Stretch Goal. New Stretch Goal idea forum.

More information.

Pledged. Not sure yet if I'll like it, but I'm intrigued enough to jump in.

I'm really happy about this effort but i try to hold a small basket. Recreating a masterpiece is a tough job. I'll just follow the way of "wait and see".

I'm a backer, but I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about some gameplay/ story elements.

Like inhabiting the bodies of others, going to a weird place when you die, being perpetually hunted… it seems like they're putting in stuff just because it's "out there". That's not a good way to approach games (and where does it end?).

I'm a backer, but I have to say I'm a bit skeptical about some gameplay/ story elements.

Like inhabiting the bodies of others, going to a weird place when you die, being perpetually hunted… it seems like they're putting in stuff just because it's "out there". That's not a good way to approach games (and where does it end?).

Hmmm, can't say I share your worries. I find all this very exiting - it's fresh, different, and yet seems to be all well placed into the story and lore of the place.

Making weird stuff stuff up is not a good way to approach a fantasy game? Heh. :)

As long as the game setting is internally consistent and doesn't just change the rules to advance the story, then I'm okay with that approach.

Making weird stuff stuff up is not a good way to approach a fantasy game? Heh. :)

making up weird shit for the sake of being weird is bad in case of games and other things.

"What does one life matter" is a hell of a question to answer decently. I'd rather not they piled on weird stuff on top of that. On the contrary, I think if you want to answer that question you have to have really banal options in the game, not "ZOMG I died and I'm now inside my own head. Feels good man"

As long as the game setting is internally consistent and doesn't just change the rules to advance the story, then I'm okay with that approach.

Couldn't agree more. And if you are breaking the laws of physics, you've got to know you're doing it and have some sort of reasoning behind it. I'm perfectly comfortable with floating islands, out of body experiences etc. as long they fit into the game world.

making up weird shit for the sake of being weird is bad in case of games and other things.

"What does one life matter" is a hell of a question to answer decently. I'd rather not they piled on weird stuff on top of that. On the contrary, I think if you want to answer that question you have to have really banal options in the game, not "ZOMG I died and I'm now inside my own head. Feels good man"

I'm interpreting the implementation in terms of the character being a type of god. In that sense I'd expect the character to have particularly unique abilities that wouldn't be available to an ordinary mortal. Hopefully the other "weird shit" is just an implementation of Monte's concept for a game setting. :)

Last edited:
I hate Monte Cook so much that I resent this entire project.

But I still backed it. I'm furious about this too.

I don't see what the problem is making a non-aspect (dieing) into an aspect of gameplay. Reloading every time you die is not an aspect of gameplay but if there is something that effects the gameplay and story related to dieing then it actually becomes a part of the game. You will probably still have the capability of reloading when you die but there will probably be a reason to actually die and go through this part of the gameplay.

And incorporating dying in the gameplay is of course one of the notable features of PS:T.

But I still backed it. I'm furious about this too.

I see what you did there

but I actually backed it because I wanted a game with a strong narrative (compared to the more traditional fantasy stuff I've backed). Just piling on weirder and weirder elements doesn't help there, although a certain degree of alienation is probably necessary if you want to go against the tropes.

I'm p. sure any reviewers who will point out that "less would have been more" will attract the vitriol of the fanboys.

I'm p. sure any reviewers who will point out that "less would have been more" will attract the vitriol of the fanboys.

I think the death mechanic is a potentially interesting idea. The take one step, save, rinse and repeat method in most single player games is something that surely could use some alternatives other than iron man modes, which tend to be too extreme. You can't ask them to innovate and then scream when they actually do something a bit differently :).

Would the reason for this hatred of yours perhaps be his use of a DRM-encrypted PDF system when selling his electronic d20 material through the DriveThruRPG.com store some years back? Or is it personal?

I think the death mechanic is a potentially interesting idea. The take one step, save, rinse and repeat method in most single player games is something that surely could use some alternatives other than iron man modes, which tend to be too extreme. You can't ask them to innovate and then scream when they actually do something a bit differently :).

Well... as has been remarked, they're not actually innovating. I'm willing to bet that if it hadn't been for PS:T, they would have gone with a regular death mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom