Factory-farming of lions - slaughter just for sports

Minks and other animals getting skinned alive for fur production,

Bit of a tangent, but is there are reason those animals are skinned alive rather than killing them first?

Not at all - but in the case of a severly endangered species like Lions, ensuring the survival of the species is the top priority, wouldn't you agree? Generally, (especially, but not only) in developing countries, protection works only if you can win the local population to support it, and it helps enormously if you can demonstrate that protection and economic benefit can go hand in hand. I am not saying that this canned hunting thing isn't distatesteful (it is, to me), but I would recommend to think twice before calling to shut it down based on emotional reasons. Where will the Lions go if you shut it down? What will happen on the land they occupied? Etc.

Sout Africa and Namibia have a lot of hunting farms (or at least used to have when we visited there a few decades ago). I know because my dad went hunting there. The ones we visited were not actively breeding wildlife, they just offered hunting trips on their land. I myself always rejected hunting, but nevertheless: If it wouldn't be profitable to have these hunting farms, the farmers would be breeding cattle, sheep or goat there, and drive the wildlife off their land as competiton for food or predators. So the hunting is ultimately protecting wildlife on private land.

I agree you need the cooperation of the locals. I just don't think killing animals to preserve them is the right way to go. I think making money by friendly and peaceful excursions, getting to know the wildlife, should be the target.

I would like to see a law that forbids hunting animals for sports, so that it'll be possible to convict people at home even when they have been abroad to do the shooting.

Pity your father doesn't feel the way you do BTW. Parents can be such a nuisance. :)

Oh I agree. That is why I mentioned that looking at the actual living conditions is important. Good treatment of animals is an ethical imperative, imho. However, we have long decided to use other living things, from plants over farm animals to wildlife for out own benefit. And it's a simple fact that the pressure of our population, even under best practice (which we are currently far from) is enormous. It's no use pining for what should be - we have to make the best out of what we can do.
If killing is the best we can do…
I don't think keeping the status quo just because it is the status quo has ever prevented human kind to change a situation and move forward. Slavery and child abuse were rather profitable too once - still are - that does not make it right, no matter how well the poor creatures were - are - treated before being used.

I know my words may sound a bit harsh, it's because I feel strongly about this subject. It's not because I wish to insult or upset you, for I really appreciate your contribution to this thread (and everybody else's BTW) and your additional explanation.
I think I do understand your reasoning, but I'm afraid we won't agree on some basics. But we do share our love for animals, that's for sure. :)

I have a dog, I know absolutely what you are speaking of. But as much as I love him, isn't it the truth that the dog is there because I wanted him, and not because he chose to come to me?
My cat was a stray cat, she came to me. :) When I was on holiday in the south of France.
I never had a pet, never wanted to have a pet, hated to have a pet - until she came meowing. I only agreed with my then boy friend to take her home after his promise we'd be co-parents: two weeks at my place, two weeks at his place, rotating. Plan was that I'd take her the first two weeks.
All she needed was two weeks: the black animal made me head over heels. O yes, she stayed at my boy friend's place all right, I didn't mind - as long as I was near to her and stayed there too. :)

Bit of a tangent, but is there are reason those animals are skinned alive rather than killing them first?
That's cheaper. Plus the hair loses quality when the animal is killed. Makes lower quality brushes.

At least, the article does not try to sell the idea that captive tigers are tigers in the wild.

It's better than them becoming extinct, I guess. I have been around big cats before. They are not cuddly in any way shape or form but just waiting to eat your face off.

Back
Top Bottom