Torment: Tides of Numenera - Tumblr Updates

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Tumblr page for Torment: Tides of Numenera has a few updates for the game. So as not to waste time lets get to it.

Monte Cook posts about the pen and paper books.
Monte Cook on the Numenera pen and paper books. This applies to our backers eligible for the books too, provided you filled in your address on our pledge management system.
Adam Heine posts on his blog about writing game dialogue.
A lot of you know I'm a multiclassed programmer/writer. Before I drafted four novels and got an agent, I had a Computer Science degree, scripted for Planescape: Torment, and completed a few dozen Project Euler problems (until they got too hard). Unfortunately, since I've been more focused on writing, my levels in programming have gone largely unused.

Until now. It turns out game dialogue is the perfect job for my class combination. It's nowhere near as complicated as writing a program to solve Sudoku, but it's got all the puzzle-solving aspects of programming that I love.

And it's not as hard as it sounds. Here, I'll show you.
More information.

Monte Cook posts about the pen and paper books.
Gimme gimme gimme! Or get to work and shuddup.

Adam Heine posts on his blog about writing game dialogue.
I'm a multiclassed programmer/writer. Before I drafted four novels and got an agent, I had a Computer Science degree, scripted for… yadda yadda yadda
Such a romantic display, a flower or two would make it a bit more fancy than it is. I suppose Adam wants to get married soon.
Cut the smalltalk and get to work! :D

How is this game going to turn out? Well, I hope. But I got a little queasy when they said you can play the whole game without combat; that doesn't make me imagine the best possible implementation of combat mechanics.

And whilst I enjoy dialogue, story etc. I do dislike those "puzzles" where some important event is only triggered when you try every possible dialogue option on a character and get to the bottom of some huge branching dialogue tree.

Will all these authors really add something or will it be too many *cooks* spoiling the broth?

Last edited:
I bet the combat will be great. You could get through Fallout 1 & 2 without combat too, did you think those had bad combat mechanics?

inXile has Monte Cook's new rule books and his blessing and support to do what's necessary to make a fun adaptation of the Numenera rules. They have writers writing and programmers programming, I don't see why one should impact the other.

Back
Top Bottom