Original Sin - Previews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Another set of previews for Divinity: Original Sin.

Co-Optimus

In its current state, Divinity Original Sin feels a lot like a mid-90s RPG. That’s both good and bad. The freedom to explore the world with which Larian Studios has provided is great, but it also feels like its brought with it many of the negatives of that era: no clear picture of what you’re supposed to be doing exactly, a progression system that doesn’t fully empower the player to tackle greater challenges, and perhaps a bit too much freedom at the start. These negatives aren’t bad in everyone’s book, of course, and this is an alpha so things could change. One thing that is definitely great is the freedom Larian gives to co-op play. Each player is empowered beyond just leveling up their character, he or she can craft that character’s personality and motivations. Player two doesn’t have to play along with everything that player one says and does.
Electric Banana think it's an RTS, but do like it

Divinity: Original Sin holds the potential to become a very exciting game, one that you can immerse yourself in. With a whole host of quests to undertake, characters to meet and buildings to explore, highlights of the alpha version are the beautiful landscapes to encounter, and the funny situations to encounter after failing to sneak into someone’s house, and be confronted with a very disgruntled woman in a bath. Divinity: Original Sin is a game to watch, as it could easily do spectacularly once complete.
Yeousch

Original Sin‘s focus is intended to be a player customized RPG experience and it is pulling it off nicely. There are some rough edges though this is expected considering we’re still in the alpha builds, but everything I’ve seen so far hints at a solid cRPG experience coming. The alpha build itself is 15-20 hours long, and Larian Studio says that’s only 1/3 of the content available.
More information.

The freedom to explore the world with which Larian Studios has provided is great, but it also feels like its brought with it many of the negatives of that era: no clear picture of what you’re supposed to be doing exactly, a progression system that doesn’t fully empower the player to tackle greater challenges, and perhaps a bit too much freedom at the start.

While I give credit to the author of the above quote for acknowledging that the above can be viewed good or bad by different people, I think it's worth commenting on in that the author's sentiment is being reflected in a good number of previews for DD:OS.

After having gone through playing Dark Souls and Demon's Souls and now currently playing Dragon's Dogma (and also taking into account the growing frenzy over the release of the impending Dark Souls 2) - and considering the success of those games (oh, and let's not forget about crowd-funding), I'm beginning to have an inkling of hope that perhaps there really is a growing segment of mainstream gamers who are tiring of being lead by the nose through games.

An adventure or RPG type game that puts you in its world and sort of lets you go as you please is truly a lot of fun, despite that you may wonder around the wrong corner and be killed. It is thrilling and the satisfaction you get when you overcome the obstacle is, well, satisfying.

I almost am starting to believe, dare I say it, that this potentially/allegedly growing segment of gamers is way out in front of internet 'reviewers and previewers' in this regard. Maybe I'll be more confident saying this in 1, 2, 3 or more years from now, depending on how things go, but maybe reviewers/previewers are at the beginning of being 'behind the times' and that instead of floating the idea that loosely structured challenges are possibly 'bad' for some instead perhaps they might say this is 'great' for many - the many who tire of being lead by the nose.

The great thing about gaming back in the 80s and 90s was that you really had to think your way through tough parts of a game, fair or unfair… I reflect on this admittedly with nostalgia… but overcoming things even like finding the right word to enter in The Wizard and the Princess - though frustrating at the time, I remember stuff like that fondly actually. And there were no clue books or internet - and if you were stuck you stayed stuck until you figured it out.

Admittedly, some 'challenges' back in those days were ridiculous. But perhaps games like Dark Souls and its popularity is a swing back in the direction of actual challenge. And perhaps developers will do a better job at getting 'challenge' right. I certainly hope so.

Back
Top Bottom