Quantcast
Fukushima reactor's radiation levels killed a cleaning robot - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Fukushima reactor's radiation levels killed a cleaning robot

Default Fukushima reactor's radiation levels killed a cleaning robot

February 11th, 2017, 03:22
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/10/…leaning-robot/

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco) wasn't kidding when it said the radiation levels inside Fukushima's nuclear reactor are the highest they've been since its meltdown in 2011. It had to pull out the robot it sent in to find the exact location of melted uranium fuel and to do preliminary cleanup inside the reactor, because it died shortly after it started its mission. Apparently, two of the machine's cameras suddenly became wonky, darkened and developed a lot of noise after merely two hours of scraping debris away. Those are all signs of extremely high radiation levels.

Best reason NOT to have nuclear energy. What a disaster.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

February 11th, 2017, 03:48
Can't agree.
It's the cleanest possible and least pollution energy production, but Fukushima is the reason not to have a reactor near nature hazard possible areas.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

February 11th, 2017, 05:19
Well, the least air and water pollution. The solid waste is a big problem, though.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

February 11th, 2017, 05:36
Japanese absolutely didn't want any nuclear after Hiroshima & Nagasaki. Taking such reactors was a non-negotiable condition to receiving some aid.

Aid from whom? Check the reactor brand names, that should give a clue.

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

February 11th, 2017, 06:41
Japan is one of the least intelligent places to build a plant.
Nuclear is the clean energy. No reason not to build them.

Wisdom

Seeker
Original Sin 2 Donor

February 11th, 2017, 07:15
Rads are bad, mmmmmkay?

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

February 11th, 2017, 13:19
Not that anyone really cares, but there are numerous cleaner methods to produce primitive ol' electricity than through nuclear explosions.

Remember Nicola Tesla? Couldn't we just pull power out of the air? What was the famous quote? "Can we put a meter on it?". General Motors or…. Some guy Morgan?

Must be a million humanity freeing patents hidden away to maintain the current balance of power. I remember there was even a kid at my school whose dad sold a patent for his engine that ran on pig shit. They all get bought up.

I heard one the other day "make all the roads out of solar panels with LEDS for dynamic markings". There's an idea?

Where does the money come from? Pull it entirely out of military spending!

Maybe I've been playing too many space 4x but this planets military investment is laughable. Futile! Not one spaceship? What are you going to do with so many land vehicles, attack yourselves?!

Alright, I'll see myself out

SirJames

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

February 11th, 2017, 13:47
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Well, the least air and water pollution. The solid waste is a big problem, though.
Exactly. That's my problem with nuclear energy. The waste products must be stored safely for years and years and years. Basically, we leave the problem to our children, and I don't think we have the right to do that.

pibbur who
--
d++a61e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; February 11th, 2017 at 14:33.

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

February 11th, 2017, 14:58
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Not that anyone really cares, but there are numerous cleaner methods to produce primitive ol' electricity than through nuclear explosions.

Remember Nicola Tesla? Couldn't we just pull power out of the air? What was the famous quote? "Can we put a meter on it?". General Motors or…. Some guy Morgan?

Must be a million humanity freeing patents hidden away to maintain the current balance of power. I remember there was even a kid at my school whose dad sold a patent for his engine that ran on pig shit. They all get bought up.

I heard one the other day "make all the roads out of solar panels with LEDS for dynamic markings". There's an idea?

Where does the money come from? Pull it entirely out of military spending!

Maybe I've been playing too many space 4x but this planets military investment is laughable. Futile! Not one spaceship? What are you going to do with so many land vehicles, attack yourselves?!

Alright, I'll see myself out
http://www.sciencealert.com/solar-ro…-than-expected

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

February 11th, 2017, 15:04
The problem was not that it was nuclear plant; the problem was the corruption of maintaining the nuclear plant. The company committed outright fraud in maintenance. Reports strongly suggest the plant would have survived the disaster (avoided meltdown) had proper maintenance been performed. Read the report. This is the problem with private business (of course govt can be just as sloppy as corporate so I guess there is no real solution to protect against endangering an entire city for a quick buck.

Originally Posted by Damian View Post
https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/10/…leaning-robot/

Best reason NOT to have nuclear energy. What a disaster.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

February 11th, 2017, 16:14
So much for Nick surviving the Glowing Sea

Greed pretty much corrupts and destroys everything. Seems to be one of the biggest sins these days with our own country leading the way.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

February 13th, 2017, 04:04
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
Exactly. That's my problem with nuclear energy. The waste products must be stored safely for years and years and years. Basically, we leave the problem to our children, and I don't think we have the right to do that.
Well if it were just a matter of keeping it safe from the elements, that wouldn't be hard. Keeping it safe from the elements AND from people looking to make cheap bombs out of the waste, though… that's rough. (Kinda sad that we have to do it, too.)

But on the plus side: no greenhouse gasses and always on. These things could make for a very nice backup to solar & wind for cloudy/still times.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Fukushima reactor's radiation levels killed a cleaning robot