Fable 2 - Molyneux: most RPGs are crap

Molyneux seems to fool everyone into believing that he alone thinks out of the box, when this is not really the case.
He's arrogant, but that's not exactly in short supply on the Internet, is it? I don't actually care much for his ideas, either. But I like that he's considering fundamental change.

There used to be a truism that what Americans really wanted was a good ten-cent cup of coffee. Then somebody started opening coffee shops offering high-quality coffee for two dollars. That didn't just happen. In fact, a lot of people thought it sounded like a crazy idea. But when it became clear that customers wanted it, competitors raced to get in on it. Today there are thousands of coffee shops like those all over the country.

IMO, this genre will change as soon as someone demonstrates that good high-quality games can be made profitability.

I was expecting this to be the usual idiotic statement that RPG combat was crap because it wasn't hard enough. Instead, he said, and he's right about this, that it's not hard enough for hard-core gamers, and it's too hard for casual gamers. (or for the reflex-challenged, like me). For me, an action RPG isn't an RPG at all, because I can't play the role of anyone competent if FPS skill is required. I welcome anything that puts the RPG back into RPG (by taking out the FPS). It's too bad that Molyneux talks a better game than he makes.

Fleisch, you echo my feelings. That's why I like TB games; tactics I'm good at, twitch, I'm not!! :)

I think there is a difference between having a streamlined intutive interface that is easy for the gamers to use in every game, be it an FPS, and RTS, an RPG or an adventure game and a 'dumbing-down' of the story, the interaction, the choices & the consequenses in a game. Too often, it happens that people think they need to 'dumb-down' the player's choice on how to advance the story, because people=dvs./publishers seem to think that is what players of games wants. And I'm sorry to inform them that they are utterly and completely wrong! Gamers want to be able to play a game, in which they help advance the story, not just watch a movie-like story unfold before their very eyes. Games are games, not interactive movies...

I have also liked the interface ofthe now old Baldur's Gate games :) The interface was logical, easy to use as well as very intuitive and didn't require you to press 100 buttons or so at the same time. Daggerfall, (at least the demo I've played) has a very horrible user interface as did the first Hitman game(s).

Back
Top Bottom