Quantcast
CCP - World of Darkness MMO Cancelled - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CCP - World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

Default CCP - World of Darkness MMO Cancelled

April 15th, 2014, 10:31
CCP Game announced on their forums that World of Darkness is now cancelled, and they have fired more staff. Here is a new press release with more information.

CCP Games Halts Development of World of Darkness MMO

CCP Games today announced that they have cancelled the World of Darkness massively multiplayer online (MMO) game project in development in their Atlanta, GA studio.

As a result of the change, 56 employees of the Atlanta studio have lost their jobs. Some team members have been offered roles on other projects inside the company, and CCP has provided severance packages and job placement assistance for those affected.

The remaining team in Atlanta will focus on games in the EVE Universe, which will mark the first time since 2006 that the entirety of CCP will be working on a single universe.

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson:

The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest Iíve ever had to make. I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years Iíve watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.

I would like to give special thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the World of Darkness MMO a reality, especially the team members affected by this decision. Their considerable contribution to CCP will not be forgotten, and we wish them well.

To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make. We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short. One day I hope we will make it up to you.

Although this was a tough decision that affects our friends and family, uniting the company behind the EVE Universe will put us in a stronger position moving forward, and we are more committed than ever to solidify EVE as the biggest gaming universe in the world.
More information.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 15th, 2014, 10:31
Of course, no word about the actual reasons.
Hm.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 15th, 2014, 10:42
Originally Posted by TheSHEEEP View Post
Of course, no word about the actual reasons.
Hm.
The obvious reason is years of wasted development, and lack of resources to continue development. They decided to just focus on Dust, and EVE Online.

If only Obsidian had the chance to make their World of Darkness RPG instead a few years ago. I fear the IP is officially dead as nothing has been made since Bloodlines.

The only bright-side of this is they might sell the IP now.
Q: So are doing to do a Microsoft and hold onto the ip indenfently or will buying it be an option. Exploring options counts as an answer. A LOT of people where looking forword to this iv got a facebook group im part of already calling for blood (i don't think their joking either)

If this is not handled correct their could be significant backlash from the wider communty. This is a sad day for gaming

A: This will be looked at over the next few months. The WoD IP is very valuable and nothings been decided at the moment.
--
"If I've ever offended you, just know that from the bottom of my heart, I really don't give a shit."

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

April 15th, 2014, 11:14
Does White Wolf still exist?
--
A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Keeper of the Watch

April 15th, 2014, 11:26
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
Does White Wolf still exist?
CCP Games bought White Wolf back in 2006.
--
"If I've ever offended you, just know that from the bottom of my heart, I really don't give a shit."
Last edited by Couchpotato; April 15th, 2014 at 13:04.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

April 15th, 2014, 13:01
A MMO that could (and should) have been a singleplayer game is now dead?
Good!

Now I only wait for death of SWTOR, ESO, Drakensang online, Jagged Alliance online and similar "let's screw up singleplayer fans".
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)

April 15th, 2014, 13:51
Probably for the best, can't imagine how it could've convincingly worked. Now, give me a proper story-based cRPG and I'll be one happy gamer.

fungus

Watchdog

April 15th, 2014, 20:03
I can't begin to explain how devastated I am by this.
As a huge fan of the Vampire The Masquerade games I have been looking forward to this project for what feels like a lifetime. Following it with passion checking for news on a near daily basis for several year. These are the worst news I've had to swallow in a very long time
--
Though the monsters lurk in the hateful marshes, I will dance on the Stygian river.
And I will be beautiful. For though I am not pure, I am honest.

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2014, 20:57
I hear you, I had been looking forward to this…but to be honest I am not extremly surprised given the lack of news and the fact that whenever we did have news it wasn't very positive.

Not that its much comfort but you can become a Vampire or a Werewolf in Elder Scrolls Online =/.
--
Steam: Galaad97

Galaad

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Galaad

April 16th, 2014, 03:24
I don't know what the plans were for this one but the MMO games coming out of late have had major issues. You either play the actual MMO part where you grind the same quest over and over for five levels then move on to the next in the list or you play the single player RPG where you have a crowd of people running around you, screwing up the atmosphere. Guild Wars 2 has been the only new game in many years (at least that I've known about) to even try to break that mold.

I'm hoping somebody buys the IP and makes some sort of Bloodlines 2.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 16th, 2014, 05:41
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
A MMO that could (and should) have been a singleplayer game is now dead?
Good!

Now I only wait for death of SWTOR, ESO, Drakensang online, Jagged Alliance online and similar "let's screw up singleplayer fans".
Damn, joxer. ICE COLD!

This is sad news. Hopefully somebody picks up and continues with the IP. It would be a waste otherwise.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » CCP - World of Darkness MMO Cancelled