Wasteland 2 - Life Beyond Release

abharsair

Grumpmaster
Chris Keenan of inXile has posted Update #58 on Kickstarter, in which he explains what the team has been up to since the release of Wasteland 2 back in September.

We’ve released three major patches since the last Kickstarter update, with over a thousand improvements to the game. The team has tackled things like major optimization passes, UI usability improvements, as well as tracking down bugs. Wasteland 2 is an incredibly large and complex game, with many moving parts, and we've been working down to the smallest details (including typos).
He also mentions that many of the development team have moved on to Torment: Tides of Numenera, but that there's still a dedicated crew working on fixing and improving Wasteland 2.

Interestingly enough, he also writes that he and some others are beginning to work on a new RPG and that they'll release news about it in the New Year.

Along with continued tuning of Wasteland 2, myself and a few others at the studio are beginning to work on another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now! It’s still quite early in the process, but we will have more news on that in the New Year.
More information.

i think ill start playing it after this patch.

Hmm it seems by these words this balance patch might not be fast. I might need to stop waiting for it and just continue my first play.

I still didn't start it. Should I do it now or wait some more for at least one patch?
I don't really care about balance, I've only heard about totally buggy area (Hollywood?) - did they fix that one yet?

I think a crappy product like Wasteland 2 cannot be turned into gold with patches. Wait and see. Maybe next year, but the problems were so many, its improbable they were able to improve..

Now I'm confused.
A crappy product? How come?

I think a crappy product like Wasteland 2 cannot be turned into gold with patches. Wait and see. Maybe next year, but the problems were so many, its improbable they were able to improve..

Hmmmm you know what they say about opinions.

Hmmmm you know what they say about opinions.
I share his opinion. A lot of reviews call WL2 a gem, some admit it's a flawed gem, I think it's just flawed, full stop. What I don't understand is the outpouring of love for the game in a time when we're (finally) flooded with quality turn-based RPGs. I think if the game was released without the history of WL1 and people didn't know Fargo was behind it, folks would see it as a mid-level meh sort of experience. It's not terrible, but "groundbreaking" or "a return to old school RPGs" it is definitely not.

groundbreaking it is not, but it is a return to old school RPG no matter how you look at it

It is heavily flawed yes I would agree; but I didn't find it to be 'crap'. I think the worse offender (beyond the quests bugs) was the mundane combat; but they could in fact improve combat with patches (both ai and options/tactics) but even fit hey don't I wouldn't call it crap and the price of entry for early adopters it was actually a good price (for those that like this type of game). for $40 I would wait for a sale; it has a lot of content but I've played more enjoyable games. There has been two recent japan games for $20 that were fantastic bang for the buck (trail in the skys and valkaryie) and shadow run (esp the director cut) was pretty good bang for the buck.
-
Hum. I think I give this game around a 6.5 or 7 when I played it (which was before the first major patch); it might be better now; valkaryie was around an 8.5 (kind of linear but fun none the less); d:eek:s was around an 8 or 8.5 (lots of fun but major flaws in the story presentation) - just for comparative so you can see my grading scale.

Mercy has hated this game from the time it was in Beta. I'm ten hours into the game and have yet to see a bug. I love it. My RPG of 2014 so far, just ahead of Might and Magic X.

It is refreshing to see open meaningful opinions expressed about this game, avoiding the stigma against saying anything negative about an old-school RPG. I am on the fence about trying WL2, but I won't need to make any decision about it for many months since there are so many other good games for me to catch up on.

it's a great game, it's everything an rpg should be. just go for it!!
much better than inquisition and I find it even better than divinity.

It is refreshing to see open meaningful opinions expressed about this game, avoiding the stigma against saying anything negative about an old-school RPG. I am on the fence about trying WL2, but I won't need to make any decision about it for many months since there are so many other good games for me to catch up on.
Of course being old school does not protect a game if it has faults. It is not the long awaited real Fallout 3 that people might have expected (including me) but it is sure as hell better that crappy new RPGs like DAI or Mass Effect 2/3.

Back
Top Bottom