Hero-U - Post-Funding Update #61

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The latest post-funding update from developer Corey Cole has information he will be starting a new kickstarter to help fund development as the game has grown to big.

We are still on target for release on Oct. 15 thanks to our talented new programming team members (see Update 60). They are rapidly filling out the game and keeping Lori and me on our toes trying to write game text fast enough to keep up with them. We still have a long way to go on development, but the light in the tunnel is no longer an oncoming train.

We plan to release a playable combat test and an updated version of the break-in house playable prototype late next month. These will lead up to a supplemental funding campaign in April-May.

When we originally ran the Kickstarter, we planned to make a much smaller and simpler game. As the campaign proceeded, it became clear that our backers wanted much more, and we promised to deliver it. Unfortunately, this is taking far more time and expense than that small game.

Even with several of our team members (including Lori and me) delaying compensation until after the game makes a profit, we have stretched our personal finances to the breaking point. We think it makes more sense to return to Kickstarter now that we have much more art and real development progress to show, rather than making a publisher deal or looking for venture funding. We also think a new Kickstarter campaign will give us a chance to reach many players who did not see the first one.
More information.

Hopefully the next KS will revitalize things, and get it finished. Wonder if they'll have a tier for backers of the previous campaign like Worlds of Magic did.

Daniel.

I'm so regretting backing this one....only one so far that I have felt this...I have backed a lot of games.

*whispers* the spirit of peter molyneux spreads

That's inaccurate in this case, as unlike his almost complete lack of skin the in the game as it were---the Coles have went dangerously close to the edge at least in the sense of mortgaging their house to try and get this thing wrangled at last now.

Moly's only semi-compatriot in terms of lack of "personal" investment among the Star Power KS'ers to chase after these projects in good faith is Lord British.

That's inaccurate in this case, as unlike his almost complete lack of skin the in the game as it were—-the Coles have went dangerously close to the edge at least in the sense of mortgaging their house to try and get this thing wrangled at last now.

Moly's only semi-compatriot in terms of lack of "personal" investment among the Star Power KS'ers to chase after these projects in good faith is Lord British.

RG has put a lot of money into Shroud so far, game is coming along to...it's not vaporware at all. Matter of fact you can get online now if you want. You want a real goat talk about Peter Schafer and double fine.

I kinda feel sad for the Coles: I loved their work at Sierra and hoped their track-record would have allowed them 'smoother sailing'. I remember getting the original Hero's Quest for my birthday as a kid. In a way, that game was my introduction to the genre of roleplaying games.

To be honest though, I didn't back the original Kickstarter-campaign: despite my experiences with the old QFG-games, Hero-U's concept didn't work for me. I might reconsider when I see the new campaign announced. It's a nasty thing when you have to take a mortgage on your house to keep funding the game's development. Plus: I have a little kid of myself now, and would love to sit down with him and play a title like this in a few years.

I kinda feel sad for the Coles: I loved their work at Sierra and hoped their track-record would have allowed them 'smoother sailing'. I remember getting the original Hero's Quest for my birthday as a kid. In a way, that game was my introduction to the genre of roleplaying games.

To be honest though, I didn't back the original Kickstarter-campaign: despite my experiences with the old QFG-games, Hero-U's concept didn't work for me. I might reconsider when I see the new campaign announced. It's a nasty thing when you have to take a mortgage on your house to keep funding the game's development. Plus: I have a little kid of myself now, and would love to sit down with him and play a title like this in a few years.

I did back...and I have noticed they seem woeful at actually managing the game....which is not to say I don't think they have skill, I just wonder if they need someone there to control the business side while they develop.

All it shows is that Kickstarter is not the breakthrough that was once promised because it doesn't garner enough revenue to pay for middle class lifestyles. I've said this over and over for years by now.

Even then, their Kickstarter was launched in the initial frenzy. Now similar projects are going to get a lot less, even Underworld struggles to meet its goal.

There were a lot of people who were put off by the initial concept that might back now. I hope there goal is 200 thousand or something like that, any more and they may struggle.

*They should do it like shadowrun Hong Kong and be sensible with any stretch goals.

Im pretty disappointed here. I backed the original kickstarter because the first Quest for Glory/Heroquest got me into gaming.. which Im still in today. But I backed their original vision... not the bigger and bigger one they have decided to follow now, which is apparently what 'I' wanted.

It isnt. Ill gladly take the smaller and simpler game.

If the end product isnt released, do I get my money back from the first kickstarter? Im confused.

No, once the funding goal is reached the money is theirs. There's refund since the money raised will already have been spent. However, I totally agree that they should have stuck with their original vision which was what the people supported. That's why I rarely fund kickstarters, at least initially.

Well I was sucked in because of the premise and the product. Which I guess is the point of the Kickstarter. I will NOT contribute to a second kickstarter so I guess Ive done my money.

So not happy.

Out of curiosity: does someone know what was added / altered while the original campaign ran? If I recall correctly, the Coles didn't reach any stretch goals. Was the design for Hero-U changed during mid-campaign?

It was changed after successful completion I believe...people seem to be very forgiving, they always have some story why they haven't completed something...like they lost their programmer one time...

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/he7qdm/line-of-defense-derek-smart—the-outspoken-developer

Look at this interview with Derek Smart starting at 5:34, he had some very wise comments about Kickstarter and how it would play out.

I don't listen to comments from Derek smart.....he has a history of over promising and never delivering. A few bad apples doesnt spoil all of kickstarter...I have way more successes then failures so far...this project the only one I founded so far that may not deliver. Pretty good for some 30 projects or so.

Derek Smart funds all his games himself and delivers on what his fanbase wants, which is more than can be said for most Kickstarter projects. He has made multiple games in the last 20 years and delivered on all of them. It's only Battlecruiser 3000 AD which went through enormous delays because he had never made such a game before, but he ended up patching it fully.

I don't see why Kickstarter should be seen in a negative light because you can place bad bets on anyone who thinks they're going to crowd fund a silly ambition.

That fact that it allows for proper studios like Harebrained Schemes and Larian to make the stuff that less mainstream audience wants is surely a great thing.

Derek Smart funds all his games himself and delivers on what his fanbase wants, which is more than can be said for most Kickstarter projects. He has made multiple games in the last 20 years and delivered on all of them. It's only Battlecruiser 3000 AD which went through enormous delays because he had never made such a game before, but he ended up patching it fully.

That's just make believe, his games have never been what he said they would be, and I wanted them to be.

This most kickstarters business is crap, it's like people focus on a few bad apples and say "See told you so!" I have Wastelands 2, Malevolence, Shadowrun returns, solforge, starlight inception, windforge, lords of xulima, conclave, dead state, edge of space, ftl, divinity, Shroud of the avatar all on steam and brought to me by kickstarter.

Sentinals of the multivers, cities of iro and hero city board games also brought to me by kickstarter.

Yes, you can say there are ones that haven't made it…but it's an investment that you should review what your backing and make good decisions. It's as much on the backer here I believe.

Back
Top Bottom