Tides of Numenera - Interview @ Eurogamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer has a new interview for Torment: Tides of Numenera where they they talk with creative lead Colin McComb who says the game might be released in 2015.

Another reason to be excited is inXile, the developer, which already delivered Wasteland 2 - a nostalgic Kickstarted game - to a very high standard. The bulk of that team now works on Torment, a force that numbers around 25-30. That's a hefty workforce for a game like this. The budget has grown too, from $4.1m as of the end of the Kickstarter campaign up to $4.8m now.

There have been a couple of delays to Torment: Tides of Numenera but the end is finally in sight. The good news is it will "definitely" - read: hopefully - be out this year, according to McComb, although it sounds like there's still an awful lot of work to do. The official date is Q4 2015, but that's "probably late 2015" in actuality. There don't appear to be any plans for an Early Access release, but those who backed the game at the appropriate level will get access to an alpha systems test ahead of the game's full launch.
More information.

Really looking forward to this. I hope they handle tactical combat better though. I don't expect JA2 level, though I sure would like it, but there are a couple things they did in Wasteland 2 that are super annoying. The main one is the cluster-fuck way combat is initiated. Goofiest thing I've ever seen in a squad combat game and if they fixed that, the combat would instantly be twice as good. Of course, I suspect they did it that way on purpose to compensate for some other problem that made combat too easy if the player didn't get cluster-fucked. I say I think they did it on purpose because nobody would play test that and think it was a good thing. Anyway, the combat is passably tactical, and fun, once you get past the cluster-fuck opening. The other thing that pisses me off isn't related to the actual combat, but rather the way the camera view gets auto-moved after every action from any character. Hello? I put the camera view where I effing wanted it! Where's my "get your steenkin mits off my camera view" checkbox? I can't believe there's no way to put the camera view under user control rather than developer control. Especially since in any kind of tight spot the camera has clipped itself behind a wall or some other obstruction, more often than not. I'm the only one who noticed this? Really?

OK, I lied! A third thing that bothers me! Too much metallic clanking and crashing along with electronic feedback and other jarring and out of place sound effects during combat.

Those are my three things they need to not do in future games. All in all, though, Wasteland 2 my fav game last year and I hope they keep up the good work. Only better :)

This:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10808&start=20

This mod is not working for me any more after the latest few patches. I wonder if game developers plan to give us any options to turn off camera auto moving around in combat through future updates or we're just stuck with it as it is. I was gonna play a bit more after the latest patch ( patch 6 ) but got annoyed very fast with having to move camera every time the new characters turn comes up.

Boggles my mind any dev would think it was OK to completely change the camera view every time something happens on screen. It's hard to even describe how annoying that is, and I can't imagine nobody ever pointed out to them maybe they better include an option to disable that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom