Sales figures for D:OS and Wasteland 2; 2014

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/3/

By most popular

Title: Divinity: Original Sin
Release: 6/30/2014
Players: 744,500
Owners: 802,315
Total Hours: 24,263,500
Developer: Larian Studios
Publisher: Larian

Wasteland 2
Release: 9/18/2014
Players: 332,354
Owners: 384,760
Total Hours: 11,076,800
Developer: inXile Entertainment
Publisher: inXile Entertainment

If you factor in the standard retail price excluding sales obviously and the amount of the steam cut (30%) then you get the profit margin for each title give or take. Shame we don't know how much they sold when the put there titles on sale.

You also have to remove backers from owners numbers to get real sales $.

Last edited:
It's interesting to go see the entire list to situate the games among the "competition".

213 Risen 3 - Titan Lords 8/12/2014 77087 85878 2619040 Piranha Bytes Deep Silver

That's even worse than expected.

It was quite clear that R3 didn't sell well, because there was no accouncement on sales numbers.
I pretty much expected R3 to do badly, due to an effect you can observe quite often: The bad or mediocre game (here: R2) sells decently. Then the backlash comes with the next game, although it's usually better than the last.
But these numbers are outright terrible.

I still haven't purchased risen 3.

Funny thing looking at the list. I don't know anymore about the top 10 games than I do the bottom 10, which is to say I don't know anything about them.

If this really represents what's "popular" then I'm way out of touch.

Risen 3 is owned by more people then TESO Steam version...

I'm not sure if that list is a good way to identify game sale numbers really.

I am most surprised about Planetary Annihilation number of owners. I didn't know it had so many.
Also the #1 Unturned, I never heard of it before LOL.

Goat Simulator sold that much copies?!
For god's sakes.
Okay it's a cheap thing and it's not DLC or some scam, even it's developer suggested to people not to buy it, LOL
Still can't believe it.

So… Some say PC gaming is dead. These numbers, not for one game but generally, tell a different story.

Glad to see the Dark Souls 2 numbers, especially those showing it as one of the most actually played (graphs on second page) Steam release this year :).
Good to see D:OS being up there as well.

I'm kind of amazed that Skyrim sold 3 million more copies since 4/4/14. I guess the good news there is that, if you believe Zenimax likes making money, that Todd Howard wasn't full of shit when he said PC sales for Skyrim were amazingly high, convinced them to refocus on the PC going forward, and that a lot of that had to do with mods.

Goat Simulator sold that much copies?!
For god's sakes.
Okay it's a cheap thing and it's not DLC or some scam, even it's developer suggested to people not to buy it, LOL
Still can't believe it.

So… Some say PC gaming is dead. These numbers, not for one game but generally, tell a different story.

From what I see F2P games rules Steam sales. Bad news for us, those games appeal "casual" players, or the PVP/competitive players who find single player only games "boring".
Also MOBA and PVP shooters players aren't gamers. They play 1 game, PERIOD. They don't even understand why the other games exist, or why other people plays them. I think the industry will move slowly towards where the money is, MMO shooters (like Destiny), MOBAs, Mobile games, F2P, etc. There's no place for "large budget/low sales/ single player games only" in the future. Indies and small studios may continue the developing, but it will be just that.

Risen 3 is owned by more people then TESO Steam version…

I'm not sure if that list is a good way to identify game sale numbers really.

I think TESO is bad example to draw that conclusion. I am fan of steam but I hardly owns any of my MMOs on steam since you don't really needs the benefits of steam for any MMOs...

Also MOBA and PVP shooters players aren't gamers. They play 1 game, PERIOD.
Not really. :)
I played LoL like crazy, but not just it. Since you get certain "first win" boost, it was more like win a match then go play something else. Unless ofc someone from my friendlist is online so we go play additional matches just to rage and troll. ;)

Never understood the appeal of PvP shooters, honestly. Why am I there? Why am I shooting? What do I gain from it in the end? PvE shooters, okay, I'm there to clean levels of badly made AI mobs :)evilgrin:), but PvP? No strategy just run/cover/shoot?
Baaaaah.

I do have friends who are into that stuff for one sole reason. They don't understand the language. Not just spoken but also subtitles can't help them.
For that reason, just like I can't enjoy many not translated japanese VNs, my friends cannot enjoy story heavy RPG.
So they play shooters. Or cow clickers. Or Candy Crush Saga. Or handheld (maybe should be called spoonfeed) MMOs as they can understand the exclamation mark system and can ignore the text.

Seems to me that the gaming industry and critics are sucking up to dyslexia. And some people are joining the posse - I got alergic to statement: "bad or no voiceover". If it's bad, turn the sound off and read the transcription! Oh, yea, I forgot some people can't read.

I think TESO is bad example to draw that conclusion. I am fan of steam but I hardly owns any of my MMOs on steam since you don't really needs the benefits of steam for any MMOs…

If TESO can have most of its sales (PC only so far) outside of Steam so can Risen, which was actually released on consoles, not just PC.

Also, Firefall is a F2P MMO and it stand at #13 on that list...

Back
Top Bottom