Larian Studios - GDC Postmortem Panel

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Another video was released on the GDC Vault today. This time we have Swen Vincke of Larian Studios giving a Postmortem Panel about his lessons he has learned.

In this talk Swen will focus on Larian's experience of successfully turning into independent and self-publishing company after 15 years of working with different publishers. Structured into into 10 simple advises to both aspiring and experienced developers, this lecture will prove that setting up your own PR, marketing, localization and even distribution is well worth the effort.
More information.

I highly recommend watching the video as Swen gives an in-depth talk about how his company messed up, and how he improved development based on those mistakes.

He also mentions our site and the Codex in the middle of the video.

I really love Swen. He's so willing to share his experiences from a business perspective and shows a clear understanding for some valuable business concepts. A lot of developers, especially small studios, could learn a ton from him. Being a game designer is a totally different skill set than running a business, and you really hamper yourself without the knowledge and willingness to learn.

So E3 or next year for a reveal of the two mystery rpgs...maybe.

I can't wait to see what they will be. Interesting that Swen is keeping an eye on the rpg competition with an eye to improving on his own product. The friendly competition between Larian, Inxile and Obsidian is sure to be a boon for rpg lovers.

Excellent speech and great insight about the business part of an independant RPG studio. Really impressive to see how risky and sketchy this business is. The level of dedication and vision of people like Swen Vincke is amazing. Some very honest and straightforward information here. Thx for sharing.

Last edited:
Agreed, wonderful speech. I am 'dying' to see these two new RPGs. Although I hope in a sequel of Divinity, I don't really care as long as they keep the same basic features: TB, Co-op, interactive environment, open world. I even like their stories and humor, actually, so not a problem for me in that department.

Keep the faith strong, Larian. And please go the Kickstarter route again, it is fun to participate.

Back
Top Bottom