Witcher 3 - Does it Live up to the Hype?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Looks amazing but I'm thinking that even with an amazing open world that you're still gonna end up with a lot of generic single player MMO style questing - go there, kill 10, return for reward, etc.

Not the end of the world - they can only create so much distinct content and the story quest itself is probably more compelling. I'd argue that Skyrim is filled with the same kind of content at heart but manages to have such an interesting world with interesting content bits that you can easily stomach that you're ultimately doing the standard kill, fetch, talk to routines. By contrast in DAI I feel like I'm playing an MMO designed for soloists with a ton of braindead solo quests (but I think that's largely because the combat is so lackluster to me).

At least in a game with active style combat, you have to pay attention and actually play instead of just watch the AI play for you like you do 95% of the time in DAI. I don't consider combat in Skyrim to be anything special but you still have to actively participate - witcher is far more robust.

So we'll see. I wasn't going to buy this since I could never really get into Witcher 2 but it's looking tougher to and tougher to pass on (or wait for the 7.50 sales).

Looks amazing but I'm thinking that even with an amazing open world that you're still gonna end up with a lot of generic single player MMO style questing - go there, kill 10, return for reward, etc.

CDPR reps were quite vocal in stating their dislike of fedex type quests. We will just have to wait and see...

CDPR reps were quite vocal in stating their dislike of fedex type quests. We will just have to wait and see…

Plus there's this journalist that played to level 7 claiming he did not see one single fedex quest. I also remember the interview with a CDR game designer claiming they tried to always make those quests (more) interesting in some way or other. Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see... it would be quite a feat.

Wow! Gamespot's site is incredibly mobile device unfriendly. I hope Google fails it…
Well I dont use a mobile device to surf the internet that much, and I'm glad some sites refuse to switch. As I find sites I used to love reading look terrible now on the PC.

Still I wont miss GameSpot that much if Google does.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Plus there's this journalist that played to level 7 claiming he did not see one single fedex quest. I also remember the interview with a CDR game designer claiming they tried to always make those quests (more) interesting in some way or other. Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see… it would be quite a feat.

I do remember reading that every quest including side quest will be more than just looking for a lost boy in the woods for no other reason that he is missing.

Hype or fact I believe CD Projekt Red will deliver. I am sure there will be ton's of things that people will be able to pick apart though so they can prove they didn't enjoy this game. If they were to enjoy it, it just wouldn't be cool and no one would pay attention them on the internet.

I really didn't like the way he mounted the horse.
The house in that one town didn't have three windows in it.

Though on a serious note I am sure there is going to be tons of new players to the Witcher games that are going to be hugely disappointed. The game has never been about spending hours to find a new magic battle axe or a clock of fire.

So if you are thinking these are things the game is about you will not like it all. Though if you are looking for a story with, while I found very hard choices in the second game then you are in for a great game.

I still hope there is a linear aspect to the game to drive the story. This is the only part of the game I am not sure how they can pull it off, if indeed it is a open world.

Well I dont use a mobile device to surf the internet that much, and I'm glad some sites refuse to switch. As I find sites I used to love reading look terrible now on the PC.

Well, that's the fault of those websites, as it's perfectly possible these days to have a website that looks well on both desktops and phones depending on the screen size you're viewing it on. :)

I do remember reading that every quest including side quest will be more than just looking for a lost boy in the woods for no other reason that he is missing.

Yeah, something about having little twists in the story or background that makes it more interesting than just completing a dull task. :) We'll see.

For the record, I just finished The Witcher 2 (Iorveth's path). :D

I finished Witcher 1 but it was difficult to persevere at the end, it was only a decent game in my view. I stopped playing Witcher 2 about halfway through after maybe 25 hours, I don't know why but it never really grabbed me. I told myself that I would just not get Witcher 3 except maybe years later on big sale.

But I am really liking what I am seeing about Witcher 3. So now I'm waffling, and will probably end up getting Witcher 3 sometime this year. I just hope I don't get buyer's remorse!

Back
Top Bottom