Wasteland 2 - GOTY Edition Character and Quirks

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
On the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter page an update was given on the contents of the GOTY edition, with more information on the interface, the overhauled character creation process, and some details of their brand-new Quirks system.

The idea of a unique defining quality for your character has been a common and well-loved one in CRPGs for many years now. Quirks have great role-playing value by letting your characters have distinct personality elements from each other, which give them a special bonus that only they have. In a party-based game, we think it's important that all your characters feel unique, and that's what quirks will let you do.

When we approached quirk design for Wasteland 2, we wanted to achieve a few different goals. It was important for us to avoid quirks that you "have to pick" in order to play your character the right way, or create quirks that are so good you'll always want to pick them on all your characters. By giving each quirk both an upside and a downside, we can make sure that they are interesting to play without becoming overpowered. This also means that quirks are optional – you can choose to go quirk-free if you want to, and you won't feel disadvantaged in doing so.

We also wanted to have quirks that go beyond your typical stat tweaks, and act as fun or unpredictable gameplay modifiers. While some of our quirks take a simpler approach, some will give you a more radical change to gameplay that might require you make careful trade-offs and considerations. Of course, giving them a unique or compelling personality-based theme also means you'll definitely want to try them out.
More information.

The quirks look nice, it's a pity it was not there since the beginning.

I'm still halfway through the game, I think I will finish now and will leave to play the GOTY edition in a few years.

Didn't they say they would add perks too? If it's only quirks, then that's disappointing.

Last edited:
I'm hoping these can be integrated into existing save, but I'm assuming they won't be. No worries, I've got no problems replaying this one at some point from the beginning, it was a great game.

Last edited:
I liked the game a lot -- but I stalled out halfway through.

I'm actually glad to have an added impetus to begin a new save.

This will work out perfect for me, as I've only played a few hrs thus far to get a feel for the game. Looking forward to the definitive edition/version to sink my time into ;)

Sounds like there are some major improvements and upgrades coming for this game, planning on playing it in the Summer time, if it's released by then.

We have perks too. Quirks are character traits you pick at game start which are optional and have gameplay modifying effects, with a benefit and a drawback of some kind. Perks are straight bonuses gained as you level-up over the course of the game. We just haven't shown those off so far. :)

Sounds great, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom