Torment: Tides of Numenera - Beta Part 2

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new Torment kickstarter update today subtitled 'Road to Beta Part 2'. It includes a music update from Mark Morgan, some lore about Circus Minor and more information about the beta.

1920x1080.jpg
Circus Minor

A Look at Circus Minor

Adam here. As we mentioned in our last update, the city of Sagus Cliffs is divided up into districts. The first one that you will come across is called Circus Minor.

Circus Minor is the vibrant heart of Sagus Cliffs, a bustling combination of festival and marketplace. When public events (or executions) are held, they always take place among the crowds and merchant stalls for all to see. Circus Minor is essentially a middle-class district, but all the classes mingle here, along with artists, performers, visitants, and other strange characters.

Circus Minor is a lively place, with merchant stalls, tents and caravans lining its streets, and banners floating in the breeze above. Greenery is more commonplace here than in the other districts.

Yet there is mystery to be found. Pieces of ancient numenera jutting out from the ground are decorated and repurposed by the inhabitants. Some serve as streetlights, others have been turned to other uses, but the original functions of all these ancient constructions are now long-forgotten. And all of these are dominated by the Clock, a giant numenera artifact towering above the district, endlessly ticking away, existing within different dimensions and time periods simultaneously.
[...]

New Music Track - Sagus Cliffs Exterior

As many of you know, we have worked with famed videogame composer Mark Morgan for several years now on both Torment as well as Wasteland 2. Mark is of course known for his soundtracks to Fallout 1 and 2, but he was also the composer for the iconic soundtrack to Planescape: Torment.

On the Beta:

As a reminder to our backers who do not have access to the Beta Test, but want to join it: we still have the Beta Test Access add-on available on the Torment web site. If you are interested, just log into your account. When you do, you will see a widget on the web site which provides links and instructions on how to add it to your account. Your Beta Test key will be made available when it goes live the week of the 17th.
More information.

This game generates so little love… I was hoping to read some comments here and people are just ignoring the news post.

I guess I too feel a bit meh about it somewhat, I really want to believe that Torment will be incredible, but for some reason I keep thinking it won't be more than a temporary pass-time at best. I guess it's PoE's fault for hoarding all the oldschool IE crew hype and not living up to it.

I think people are plenty hyped about it, it's just this update is not particularly interesting and it is still quite far away from release. It passed the 5 million funding mark just recently so it isn't doing too bad in my opinion.

Looks yummy!

This game generates so little love… I was hoping to read some comments here and people are just ignoring the news post.

you must understand this is not a big or terribly active forum … some people visit only once or twice a week

.. but for some reason I keep thinking it won't be more than a temporary pass-time at best. I guess it's PoE's fault for hoarding all the oldschool IE crew hype and not living up to it.

PoE was Obsidians B team's project from the start. It capitalized off nostalgia without really bringing anything fresh to the table. This is a different company that did Wasteland 2, which is a better RPG than PoE anyway, so we'll see

and so far there is nothing that implies Torment is being done by a younger , more inexperienced "secondary" crew inside inXile , like PoE has been

Last edited:
I think a lot of people lost interest, each update is looking more boring than the next one. I haven't found any of the original charms in any of the screens, and neither that music.

I'll be playing it, but my interest went down when they announced it would be TB instead of RTwP. I always played PS: T for the story, characters and setting, which means I am likely to just burn through the combat, so I really prefer being able to do that quickly.

I guess I too feel a bit meh about it somewhat, I really want to believe that Torment will be incredible, but for some reason I keep thinking it won't be more than a temporary pass-time at best. I guess it's PoE's fault for hoarding all the oldschool IE crew hype and not living up to it.

When you get a news post every week about a game, every day closer to release, you soon run out of things to say. Don't you worry, there'll be plenty to read closer to the time.

Same here.
I already backed this game so I don't need to gather information. In fact I even don't want to know more about games I already backed or pre-ordered as I don't want to get spoiled.

Only thing I'm really intersted in is the release date. :)

I haven't found any of the original charms in any of the screens, and neither that music.

I have a completely opposite impression...

The screens definitely have an otherworldly, tormenty, vibe to them, and I love the music

Numenera fits Torment perfectly as a setting

I'll be playing it, but my interest went down when they announced it would be TB instead of RTwP. .

Keep in mind that RTwP is turn-based in itself

I like the eccentric nature of the setting and much of the art they've presented. It remains to be seen if the game will be enjoyable.

Numenera looks like a cool , original setting alright. I'd try the PnP even regardless of Torment

Honestly, I would rather prefer different ways to circumvent combat without going to turn-based mode. Personally, I think that's more interesting than combat at all. And if stealth/persuade/... doesn't work off, finish it quickly.

I have a completely opposite impression…
Keep in mind that RTwP is turn-based in itself
Not necessarily. Jagged Alliance: Back in Action wasn't, IIRC the same is true for Pillars of Eternity.

In turn based mode there are multiple ways to resolve some encounters i.e. conversation during combat, interaction with the environment etc. The combat looks very interesting with all these dynamics if you ask me.

I'm aware of the Crisis concept. Unfortunately the thing I like even less than turn-based combat is completely turn-based action, unless I'm in good company.

Crisis isn't rocket science. It's an attempt to make combat meaningful by mixing it up with actions that would normally be played out in real-time, before it comes combat. You're simply relocating the trigger for turn-based mode to the beginning of a stage instead of linking it to one or several incidents. So in the end, I guess, the game is not just interrupting for combat, but there are whole passages or even areas that can only be solved in turn-based mode. Presumably most narrative main quest encounters. That would not only make combat turn-based, but also portions of the story line.

Next week, we will see.

Last edited:
I think crisis that have a time impact would be better played turn-based so the twitch element doesn't come into it i.e. diffusing a bomb where you have to find the appropriate tools.

Are you concerned that the concept could be overused? I probably agree with you in that it could become a little tedious if it jumps into turn based every time you trying to resolve an encounter/puzzle. I'm hoping it is just for combat or time sensitive crisis?

personally, unless all dialogue choices are "stat based" or "biography based" if you prefer, giving you personalized dialogue options based on your character, then the dialogue options are less "role-play" than the combat. most people chose the dialogue choice that they personally like the best, or what they think will give them their desired outcome. very few people, i feel, actually role play the dialogue based off their character's biographical data. for that reason, i enjoy the combat, because you can't overcome any shortcomings of your character on the battlefield. you just deal with it. it adds an element of "fate" or "destiny" to the outcome, which keeps the focus on the character as an individual, not just your vicarious enjoyment of the setting.

Are you concerned that the concept could be overused?
Not exactly. I was socialized to games with Dune 2, Command & Conquer and Wing Commander, not Battle Isle or Panzer General. It wasn't exactly Realms of Arkania that turned me to CRPGs, it actually was Baldur's Gate, and I prefer Lands of Lore over any Gold Box Game. So there is no way you could tempt me with more turn-based options (although I play some games from time to time). The misfortune in this special case is, that wasn't part of the Kickstarter description, but a sprititual successor to PsT, that was RTwP.

Back
Top Bottom