Warren Spector - On getting Necessary Evil IP back

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GameInformer With Disney getting out of the games business recently Warren Spector is concerned about recovering an old IP of his called Necessary Evil which was supposed to be a Deus Ex spiritual successor.

After the recent news of Disney Interactive Studios' discontinuation of the Infinity series, and Avalanche Software shuttering on May 10, developer Warren Spector, best known for Ion Storm's Deus Ex, is showing concern about losing rights to an IP he worked on at Junction Point Studios.

Junction Point Studios, headed by Spector, was a studio acquired by Disney Interactive. This means any game Spector created at Junction Point remains legally owned by Disney. One of the IPs, potentially among others, is Necessary Evil, a game that was planned to be a Deus Ex spiritual successor in a near-future setting. Spector wrote on Twitter, "Necessary Evil was one of the IP I signed over to Disney as part of the Junction Point acquisition." Junction Point Studios was behind the first two Epic Mickey games.
You can view the rest of his tweets below:

Hey, Disney, now that you're out of games can I have the IP I created at @JunctionPoint back? You're never going to do anything with them.
- Warren Spector (@Warren_Spector) May 14, 2016

Since Disney acquired @JunctionPoint they own my near-future action, modern day ninja & epic fantasy concepts. It'd be nice to get 'em back
- Warren Spector (@Warren_Spector) May 14, 2016
More information.

The same Disney that bought Congress so they could get the copyright period for Mickey Mouse extended? Yeah, sure...

Why is the IP important anyway, when there's been no game released on it? Change the name to "Another spiritual successor to Deus Ex" and voila.

There's probably some design and/or other work that's been done on it that he wants to use.

Back
Top Bottom