Witcher 3 - Don't expect a Witcher 4

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Eurogamer suspects that there will not be another Witcher game:

Don't expect The Witcher 4 any time soon - or maybe ever

According to CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski, the company doesn't have a next Witcher game in any kind of development. Nor is one planned.

I asked him whether the studio will leave The Witcher series for good - following the release of Witcher 3 Blood and Wine on 31st May - or return to it some day, and he said, "We honestly don't know. We don't have anything planned as of now to be honest on the next Witcher.

"As we said before, never say never [but] right now it's really Blood and Wine. This is the end. Blood and Wine is [the] closing and there won't be any Witcher any time soon - if there ever will be one. And I would really like to see how people feel about it, if they will enjoy it."

[...]
Thanks Couch!

More information.

It might be interesting to magically throw him forward into a different time period and pick up his story thenceforward. Say a gritty Victorian-like gunpowder era, but with dwarves, elves, and sorcery.

It might be interesting to magically throw him forward into a different time period and pick up his story thenceforward. Say a Victorian-like gunpowder era, but with dwarves, elves, and sorcery.
Well the following image says everything I want it to.:biggrin:

nItOe9r.png

Last edited:
There is so many things they could do with this game, it would be a shame if TW3 was the last one.

Geralt game no of course not, some other witcher character game, I think yes. They don't seem stupid as Bioware who let Jade Empire to rot.

Better to end it on a high note. And with last chapter in Toussaint, what a journey it's been… Even whole trilogies/plus of other games I've played can't compare with it.
Then when another Witcher game arrives, in about ten years or so, we can all go and visit Sacred Path in his grumpy ol' codexer nursery home, to play some Gwent and recount all of Geralt's stories. :p

I'm glad there'll be no Geralt. He's always been a protagonist hard to identify with. One has to somewhat identify to enjoy the game. In TW1 he was more or less ok, slightly worse in TW2, but in TW3 he spoilt my experience by being absolutely impossible to identify with. Not even impossible, that's the wrong word, the right way to say it would be "too disgusting to identify with". I now have very little faith CDPR is capable of making good protagonists, it's been a downhill spiral so far, and I hold no hope for quality of their future games at all.

I'm glad there'll be no Geralt. He's always been a protagonist hard to identify with. One has to somewhat identify to enjoy the game. In TW1 he was more or less ok, slightly worse in TW2, but in TW3 he spoilt my experience by being absolutely impossible to identify with. Not even impossible, that's the wrong word, the right way to say it would be "too disgusting to identify with". I now have very little faith CDPR is capable of making good protagonists, it's been a downhill spiral so far, and I hold no hope for quality of their future games at all.

Well...Cyberpunk 2077 will let us make our own characters, so...;)

Not for me and many others. I thought each game was better than the last. All in all, The Witcher trilogy are some of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I'm not sad about this announcement though. I think it would be pretty hard for them to top The Witcher 3, and I'm glad they're not going to try to milk the series. Like Bobo said… better to end it on a high note.

I'm glad there'll be no Geralt. He's always been a protagonist hard to identify with.

I think a silent protagonist is the easiest to identify with. The more my character says on his own the less it feels like me.

It's true Gerald can only be role-played in very narrow boundaries. It's more about some forks in the road you choose for him.

Nevertheless, I found him to be some of the most interesting chars in RPGs. His melancholy about being a relict in a world that moves toward modern age. And doing so with his help! He knows he makes himself obsolete and takes away the magic of the world. (Watche the CGI-trailer about his vampire fight and look at his face and what the vampire says in the beginning!)

Then his inner conflicts about the people he loves. Triss or Yennefer? I'm glad they did away with most of the fucking around of the first two games. Also his connection to Ciri is a very deep one. One you might have to read the books to fully understand.

In the end it's true, you are only a watcher of Gerald's path, but man, what a journey it was!

Thankfully this opinion is of the few not the many.

For me Geralt was one of the best characters and all 3 games were some of the most enjoyable.

Identifying with Geralt is pretty easy once you're old and bitter like some of us..

So a character "everyone can identify with"…. let'see: male or female of generally perfect age( 20-25), generally perfect height( 1.85/1.78), generally perfect voice( even toned with a slightly "raspy"/sensual touch to it), generally attractive facial features as well as generally desired psychological qualities( charismatic, determined, passionate, witty, etc).
This would be more a cardboard cut out comprised of wishful fantasies for a very general populace than an interesting character… appease to everyone and you end up with a whole lot of shallow and ultimately forgettable "nothing". The other alternative is driving around in a MMO/Bethesda WASD+press space to jump drone, lobotomized of any personality for the purpose of pretending it has your own.
Imagine if Dostoevsky's main characters were made to "appeal to everyone"…what kind of impact would anything he wrote, actually have?
I can see how a lot of people may not "like" Geralt's character, that's fine…but few (or more likely none), have as conflicted protagonist with an immense sense of history as Witcher does.

I think we already decided on what Witcher 4 must be about:
I'd be fine with a new Witcher series in 10 years or something. :)

Rise of the Witcher Order: Geralt as the only remaining Witcher revives the Witcher schools with the help of Ciri who after 20 years of reigning in Nilfgaard is fed up with politics.
You play as one of the new Witcher aspirants with full character customization.
;)

Last edited:
Geralt game no of course not, some other witcher character game, I think yes. They don't seem stupid as Bioware who let Jade Empire to rot.

Eh, never played that one. Saw romance in it on youtube. That sure was something.

Give me an example of a good protagonist in a game. Geralt is one of the best in my opinion.

You give no actuall reason why he is "too disgusting". He protects people, it is his profession (he risk his life even when he dont have to). He treat all races well. He care for his friends. Your opinion is a wrong one, sorry.

Give me an example of a good protagonist in a game. Geralt is one of the best in my opinion.

You give no actuall reason why he is "too disgusting". He protects people, it is his profession (he risk his life even when he dont have to). He treat all races well. He care for his friends. Your opinion is a wrong one, sorry.

I'm one of Geralt's fans BUT IMO Elel doesn't have to give any reasons. She just didn't like him. It's a personal feeling and it's her right. Just like mine is to disagree with her without forcing my opinion upon her.

I'm one of Geralt's fans BUT IMO Elel doesn't have to give any reasons. She just didn't like him. It's a personal feeling and it's her right. Just like mine is to disagree with her without forcing my opinion upon her.

Seems to me that we might have a Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus type of problem here. Elel didn't actually say she was expressing her personal feeling. Indeed her statement questioning whether CDPR "is capable of making good protagonists" and further questioning the "quality" of CDPR games, seemed to be making objective rather than subjective judgements.

Elel is of course entitled, and indeed welcome, to express her views, just as others are also entitled to disagree with her views. No one is forcing their opinion on anyone.

From an objective standpoint, the varied and numerous positive reviews of The Witcher games, as well as the widespread consumer support of The Witcher games, both strongly evidence the quality of CDPR work as well as CDPR's capabilities of creating a protagonist considered good by generally accepted standards.

On the other hand, its anybody's guess IMO, as to just how any of this might play out on Venus or Mars.

__

Back
Top Bottom