General News - New Chrono Trigger?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gameinformer reports that the Chrono Trigger director Takashi Tokita wants to make a new version of the classic RPG:

Chrono Trigger Director Would “Love To See” New Version

When we were in Tokyo for our Final Fantasy XV coverage, we talked to a lot of industry legends about the Final Fantasy series. One of those people was Takashi Tokita, a producer and senior manager at Square Enix. Tokita was the lead designer of Final Fantasy IV, but he was also one of the directors on another beloved RPG: Chrono Trigger. Tokita shared some behind-the-scenes info on that classic game, and talked about how he would like to see it resurface.

Chrono Trigger tops the list of Best RPGs Ever for many fans of the genre, but part of its appeal is tied to its time and place. When it released in Japan in 1995, the two biggest RPG franchises were controlled by different companies: Final Fantasy under Square, and Dragon Quest under Enix. Therefore, part of the magic of Chrono Trigger was that it was an unlikely collaboration of the best and brightest RPG talent on both sides. Tokita thinks this contributes to the idea of Chrono Trigger being considered untouchable by some fans – and even Square Enix itself. “It’s probably considered sacred since the companies merged,” he says. “It was essentially a dream mix between Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; creating or exceeding what it was in its original form is a very difficult feat.”

[...]
More information.

Thank you fo the info, Steinawarjar!

55e8422f53f322c307443aa6e8e670ab.jpg

Checked every corner of my PC… Including superold 16Gb HDD I still keep for nostalgia… Got zip.
I have no idea what is this news about.

crpgnut, can you shed some light here? :evilgrin:

This game was not released on the PC platform...

Isn't there already a "new" DS version? For which console or handheld do they want to make a new version?

I can't open the link to read about it myself, there is an error: "Sorry for the inconvenience, but there’s an error with your location." Apparently they don't like my country :)

Isn't there already a "new" DS version? For which console or handheld do they want to make a new version?

I can't open the link to read about it myself, there is an error: "Sorry for the inconvenience, but there’s an error with your location." Apparently they don't like my country :)

The only one I know of is the direct port to DS. They didn't change much in that one...just added some DS functionality. o.o

My friend said there are more side quests in the DS version, and perhaps the translation has been worked on a bit. I also thought I heard that there were more endings added, too, but I might be mistaken.

Chrono Trigger. It's going to be hard for any modern company to capture the magic that makes that game amazing, in my opinion. Not impossible, but hard. It's one of those "once in a lifetime" type things, where the stars aligned and a special bit of magic was made.

I look forward to modern attempts at a new Chrono Trigger or something resembling it. I think the time travel aspect still has oodles of potential in a new RPG world, but they have to really go back and study that game to see what made it so magical.

I mean, the atmosphere, the music, the characters - everything just has this incredible synergy with each other. All the elements work in perfect harmony somehow.

It's just a wonderful world to explore to this day. I can still stand in the world map of 600 A.D. and listen to that theme play.

Back
Top Bottom