Torment - Polish & UI Plus New Video

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new kickstarter update for Torment: Tides of Numenera brings with it a look at the UI and polish improvements being made to the game. A new beta update will be coming and there is a new video highlighting the ninth world.

Conversation Updates

The conversation screen in Torment is one of the most important parts of the game, because you will be spending so much time using it. As a result, it was critical to make it as polished and enjoyable to use as possible - a goal we have had throughout development. Without a doubt, our conversation UI has gone through more versions than any other interface element for that same reason.

First up, one of the biggest concerns we saw in the beta was that the text scrolling needed to be improved. In earlier versions, text would always appear at the bottom of the interface, which could lead to a lot of extra scrolling or manually expanding the whole conversation screen to read it. As a result, we re-designed this text behavior and engineer Matthew Davey spent many hours re-writing it.

Our revamp for conversation text scrolling now has text appear at the top of the interface rather than appearing near the bottom, so you don't find yourself scrolling nearly as much. When we need to show lots of text all at once, we also added a "Show More" button and a little down arrow indicating that there is more below. Instead of manually scrolling when there's lots of words on screen, now you can just keep hitting the Enter key, Spacebar, or clicking the button, which means that you can focus more on the contents of the conversation rather than getting pulled out of the narrative.

That said, a text box isn't in and of itself the most interesting thing, and for Torment we wanted to do something a bit more special. So, we decided to include additional notifications, audio cues and special effects while you're in conversations in order to highlight key moments.

A great example of this is the new "Item Gained" prompt. All of our items in the game are hand-designed and often written with lots of detailed lore and story elements, and so we wanted it to make it feel like a great moment when you found something interesting. Since so many of these items are given out during conversations or scripted interactions, it made sense to devote a portion of the conversation interface to them.
[...]

Things have been busy with Torment beyond just development as well. First, we've got a brand new trailer for the game introducing the Ninth World, you can see that below.

More information.

Beautiful world-class GUI! Torment supersedes W2 in all areas and I hope W2 and W3 will be quickly forgotten in favor of amazing Torment.

Beautiful world-class GUI! Torment supersedes W2 in all areas and I hope W2 and W3 will be quickly forgotten in favor of amazing Torment.

I never understood this type of thinking. Why does there have to be a competition? Why can't you hope that WL and Torment will be great games? There are so few really great games anymore. I hope that every game i play will turn out great.

I agree that Torment is looking better than WL2. But why the hell would you not want WL3 to be as good or even better than Torment???

Back
Top Bottom