Torment: Tides of Numenera - The secret great RPG of 2017?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site thinks that Torment: Tides of Numenera could be the secret great RPG of 2017:

Torment: Tides of Numenara could be the secret great RPG of 2017

The early half of 2017 is packed with tons of titles that RPG enthusiasts have their calendars circled for. Persona 5 is making perhaps the largest splash in April, Dragon Quest VIII is releasing on 3DS. You've got a new Kingdom Hearts and old Kingdom Hearts, Tales of Berseria, Platinum's take on Nier, Ni-Oh, Digimon, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and even a PC release for Disgaea 2. Phew.

But please don't sleep on Torment: Tides of Numenara. If you've got any space left. Or days on your calendar.

Perhaps you are like me and you've heard whisperings of a new game in the Torment now-franchise. Maybe you've played Planescape: Torment and you've been following the title since the initial Kickstarter campaign got funded in March 2013. (We'll forgive the estimated delivery date of December 2014) and have already made a pledge. Maybe you've played some of the stellar entries in the genre in recent years such as Larian's Divinity Original Sin, or Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity, or even the recently released Tyranny and you're looking for the next thing in line. Or maybe you have no idea at all what to think of Tides of Numenera. I'm here to help you get caught up.

[...]
More information.

Dream on.

Very likely the biggest disappointment of 2017.

Nah the disappointment is reserved for Wasteland MMO 3.

I think it will do reasonably well, especially with its core market of Planescape enthusiasts. The mass market may be less impressed but not really a game for them.

Pluses:
- I have no doubts about quest design,writing standard and overall graphics/sound
- George Ziets = win
- New interesting setting

Concerns:
- I wonder about the combat and if it will be satisfyingly crunchy
- Character models/animations look okay but not outstanding

These concerns are minor and not what the game is about for most core 'I played Planescape' people. I'm a backer so I'm biased I guess.

Based on what I've seen so far, I think it looks really good. I love the art style and the uniqueness of the setting. I also recall liking what I've seen of the combat.

That said, ELEX is still my most anticipated game of 2017.

While I was not interested in Tyranny I am very curious about this game. I have been following it and still find the concept and mechanics pretty cool as well as the story so far revealed. I also like the art style.

I'm fairly confident this will be absolutely awesome and my GOTY of 2017. I don't really see any reason as to why some people are thinking it will be bad? Unless you think characters need to be fully voiced and preferably have a cut scene whenever they talk. Our you're afraid of reading.

Setting looks fantastic, combat looks solid, and I've only heard good stuff about the writing. Trying really hard not to touch it before 1.0.

Last edited:
I'll buy that concern Kylex, but I'll take the setting over traditional High or Low Fantasy anyday.

It's a bit funny that the author of the article names several RPG's I've never heard but calls Torment "secret". But that could of course be because I frequent a forum concerned mainly with western RPG's.

Last edited:
Secret? It's quite visible imho.
The real concern I have with the setting is, that it could lead to general arbitrariness. That the world does not have any personality, because everything is "possible"
Yep, that's my concern as well.

I'll buy that concern Kylex, but I'll take the setting over traditional High or Low Fantasy anyday
My thirst for (Low to Mediocre) Fantasy is still great. I just can't get enough. :)

Planescape: Torment is my favorite game ever, which is why I have not touched the Early Access version and have barely looked at any screenshots. This is my most anticipated game, and I want to play it unspoiled when the final version is released. That said, I glanced on Steam and noticed that while there are mostly positive reviews of the Early Access version, there are also a noticeable amount of negative reviews. However, these reviews seem to be focused on things like bugs and a clunky interface...which is exactly what I would expect in a beta, Early Access games are basically betas. I am not discouraged.

Last edited:
Nah the disappointment is reserved for Wasteland MMO 3.

You know, repeating a falsehood 10,000 times doesn't make it any more true the 10,000th time than it did the first time.

Okay, I'll try with repeating it 10,001 times then.
In the meantime, feel free to add me as Steam friend. You'll get MGS5. Perhaps that makes stars shift in a way I don't have to repeat anything but instead you and everyone else will jump on any MMO addition to a sequel of a singleplayeronly game.

Persona 5 is making perhaps the largest splash in April, Dragon Quest VIII is releasing on 3DS. You've got a new Kingdom Hearts and old Kingdom Hearts, Tales of Berseria, Platinum's take on Nier, Ni-Oh, Digimon, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and even a PC release for Disgaea 2. Phew.

No mention of D: OS2? That's a far more likely "secret great RPG of 2017" candidate to me, based on how good D: OS was.

For me, ME: A and ELEX are also highly anticipated, so 2017 is looking very good (Q1 and 2, haven't even looked into Q3 and 4).

DOS' were great mechanically so in that respect it can be Torment's competitor but the writing.. ugh… when i saw my 1st quest giver is a cartoony shrimp on a beach I knew I was in for a mixed ride

I'm not that impressed with what I saw to this day, but because I don't use Early Access (it's STEAM for f*cks sake!) I did not see that much anyway.

But it is likely to be more down my alley than ELEX for example, because even if they improved their games over the years (G2 had better graphics, G3 had a usable UI, R2 had nice combat, R3 a cool setting) I don't think they will ever create something for normal chaps like me.

D:OS2 will be great, I am sure, because they did listen to what people did not like about D:OS.

It's a bit funny that the author of the article names several RPG's I've never heard but calls Torment "secret". But that could of course be because I frequent a forum concerned mainly with western RPG's.

Is other games are all JRPGs except for Horizon: Zero Dawn and rather skewed toward console. That fit with RPGSite.net from what I've seen of the place.

The really funny part is mentioning Divinity Original Sin twice in the article but making no mention of Divinity Original Sin 2.

Back
Top Bottom