Quantcast
Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG

Default Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG

January 31st, 2017, 17:44
Here is the conclusion of the votes for Best RPG in 2016 according to our visitors. The actual winning vote was skipped and we made the entry at second place, the winner, because we like to do stuff like that.

If you want to find out the results, check out the article.

More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. Winston Churchill
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

January 31st, 2017, 17:44
Here are the results of your votes.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. Winston Churchill

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

January 31st, 2017, 17:46
Interesting. The Codex GOTY result should be published soon as well, but they were quite different.

Also, surprised to see 2 action JRPGs on the Top 5. Not what I expected from you guys.

Also also, Tyranny sucks.
--
フエフエ。

felipepepe

Codex Refugee

January 31st, 2017, 17:52
Originally Posted by felipepepe View Post

Also, surprised to see 2 action JRPGs on the Top 5. Not what I expected from you guys.
You would see it makes sense if you considered the changes that happened over the last year or so with a new moderator or two pushing for JRPG's in spite of it being one of the reasons the .Dot was abandoned. And many of the old timers have moved on as well.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

January 31st, 2017, 17:53
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Here are the results of your votes.
It would have been quite a talking point to post the winner was "none" for last year. Why have that as an option then even?
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

January 31st, 2017, 17:55
Isn't it better to have JRPGs than "none"?
--
フエフエ。

felipepepe

Codex Refugee

January 31st, 2017, 17:56
DS3 and DD don't fit my traditional idea of what a JRPG is but I guess technically they are.

I voted for DS3, DX:MD and technomancer but DS3 was the only one I really enjoyed. I voted the other 2 because they were the only other games I'd played to any extent.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 31st, 2017, 18:34
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
You would see it makes sense if you considered the changes that happened over the last year or so with a new moderator or two pushing for JRPG's in spite of it being one of the reasons the .Dot was abandoned. And many of the old timers have moved on as well.
Well as you noticed these games were voted by the players. So at least a number of people here seem to have played DS3 and DD, neither of which I voted for. I also think that these titles did so well is less reflective of newfound love of jrpgs, as the rather poor quality of western rpgs this year. I don't think that Tyranny will be remembered as a classic, Grim Dawn is a very well done hack & slay, but many people hardly consider it a crpg. And that's the problem. There were plenty of decent rpgs this year, but few anyone would call exceptional.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

January 31st, 2017, 18:44
I knew those results would trigger the familiar mutterings.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

January 31st, 2017, 18:51
Originally Posted by felipepepe View Post
Interesting. The Codex GOTY result should be published soon as well, but they were quite different.

Also also, Tyranny sucks.
Forget top5 and spot just top3.
Mainstream's The grinder of all grinders is not #1 and it's all that matters - to me. I thought someone from Codex will appreciate that too, but it doesn't look like it, somehow it feels you desperately wanted it to be #1 here and we "disappointed" you.

Btw I still didn't play Tyranny nor Grim Dawn and I didn't vote on any of these top 3 games but picked other ones. Are Tyranny and Grim Dawn better than that meh product? Watchers said yes and who am I to complain! So thumb up guys.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 31st, 2017, 18:55
Kinda weird results to me, it doesn't seems to reflect the vocal minority on RPGWatch.

I'm surprised to see Grim Dawn at #2 a lot, I don't remember people talking about it around here outside the occasional news post.
--
The reapers ceased being robot Cthulhu's when Star child nuked the plot from orbit ~ Steel on Neogaf
Last edited by azarhal; January 31st, 2017 at 19:11.

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 31st, 2017, 19:00
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Kinda weird results to me, it doesn't seems to reflect the vocal minority on RPGWatch.
I suspect that of a lot of the noisy groupthink negativity towards certain studios is disregarded by many resonable people.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

January 31st, 2017, 19:05
To be honest, I'm a bit dissapointed with the results. To each his/her own, but for me it's too AAA, too ARPG and too JRPG.

I will do my own GotY… with Blackjack and hookers!

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

January 31st, 2017, 21:12
'None' was the winner btw for anyone wondering. Not so many played the games of 2016.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

January 31st, 2017, 21:27
Yes, reading what the article said about 2016, I had to chuckle at the titles of the top three - Tyranny, Grim Dawn, and Dark Souls! And then only because the actual winner was nothingness.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

January 31st, 2017, 21:37
Having none as the winner says something about last year I suppose. The list is definitely not the result I expected, but it is what people voted for.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:

January 31st, 2017, 21:47
2016 was a year of many releases and some smaller gems are among them (Ara Fell for example). But no game was really outstanding.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 31st, 2017, 22:03
I have to disagree. There were outstanding games, but we were comparing everything with… with… Diablo 3? No, not that one… DA3? Not even that. Help me, which one?

And none came even close to that spectacle. Except maybe RoTR, but that one ain't RPG. So while maybe all felt like "meh", still some are better than others and sorry but IMO there were plenty of above average titles.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 31st, 2017, 22:15
Thanks Mythros

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

January 31st, 2017, 22:17
What is Ara Fell? And I just saw that The Quest was released in 2016. That's the RPG of the year for me.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG