Torment:ToN - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a first batch of reviews for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

And with no score:

More information.

Right boxes as PC boxes? ;)
On X boxes, erm, PS boxes, not all were thrilled. I guess either the game doesn't contain tons of grindy filler ot just ain't dumb enough for them. :evilgrin:

Looks like mostly good to great reviews with a couple of average reviews. This bodes well :)

Any Watchers playing this? I'd trust impressions from regular RPG fans over professional gaming journos any day.

Right boxes as PC boxes? ;)
On X boxes, erm, PS boxes, not all were thrilled. I guess either the game doesn't contain tons of grindy filler ot just ain't dumb enough for them. :evilgrin:

It has technical issues on consoles.

Played about 30 minutes - definitely a lot more polished than when I tried awhile ago. I'm now paying a lot more attention to everything - and enjoying it so far (I did get quite far before, but I was really just messing about). I think this will be a good experience.

Reading several reviews it seems to be what I expected. A ton of reading and poor to no combat. Not saying that's bad but it's not my kind of game.

Interestingly I see 20-30 hours play time mentioned across the reviews. I wonder if I'll see the same too short not playing comments I've seen about other games here or if nostalgia will make it a nonissue.

As big a fan of PC gaming as I am, I would like to play this one on my PS4... because then I could play it together with my wife, in the living room. Are the technical issues really severe?

-----------------
A quote from that DSOGaming review: "Maybe we should count our blessings and be happy that inXile has at least stayed true to the basics of Planescape: Torment, as most fundamentals remain thankfully unchanged. One has only to visit recent chapters in similarly classic RPG families like Dungeon Siege, Fallout and Sacred to be reminded that things can go really bad when trying to keep up with modern trends in an effort to appeal to a broader target group. " Interesting. Thought review sites adored the new Fallout.

As big a fan of PC gaming as I am, I would like to play this one on my PS4… because then I could play it together with my wife, in the living room. Are the technical issues really severe?

-----------------
A quote from that DSOGaming review: "Maybe we should count our blessings and be happy that inXile has at least stayed true to the basics of Planescape: Torment, as most fundamentals remain thankfully unchanged. One has only to visit recent chapters in similarly classic RPG families like Dungeon Siege, Fallout and Sacred to be reminded that things can go really bad when trying to keep up with modern trends in an effort to appeal to a broader target group. " Interesting. Thought review sites adored the new Fallout.

From DSO review:

Despite all of the good work done with the game’s characters, lore, gameplay and artwork, it is also a game that’s mired in technical issues on PS4 and in our brief testing on Xbox One. When interacting with an object, the character may walk around randomly a little before actually focusing on it. There are constant frame rate drops and stutters which become increasingly jarring as you play.

Torment’s problems really come to a head during battles, with the game crashing four times at crucial moments during my play through. Twice the game just failed to load the next action, with one not loading up the UI after completing a quest as well as freezing my character in place, and the second in a battle where pressing “End Turn” resulted in nothing happening. Besides these significant problems the game is also beset by numerous other small and deeply annoying bugs, which when taken as a whole serve to destroy all of the hard work that’s been put in elsewhere.

Any Watchers playing this? I'd trust impressions from regular RPG fans over professional gaming journos any day.
Played the first our, I'm liking the writing style so far. It's understated and tamed but it takes itself serious enough that it's engaging. I'm getting a good vibe from the game :)

Reading several reviews it seems to be what I expected. A ton of reading and poor to no combat. Not saying that's bad but it's not my kind of game.
Jesus &*%$! Christ, WHY?!

Haven't these devs collectively been working on combat systems for a thousand effing years? What is so hard to get?

I am a backer since 2013. I waited that one. I did not play any alpha or beta to not spoil myself. My impressions after few hours of play on PC and 4 years of waiting? I am a happy guy :)

I just fired it up for 30 minutes on my work potato. I just clicked through the intro to browser character building options and see the first actual crisis (apart from the one in the intro).
I'm quite sure I'll play it. However I a bit worried if I can handle the text when playing inbthe evening when I'm tired...

Jesus &*%$! Christ, WHY?!

Haven't these devs collectively been working on combat systems for a thousand effing years? What is so hard to get?

What he means is than fights are quite rare. There is no random trash mobs or guys jumping on you because they suspect than your 'hello' could be confused with an accusation on the morale standing of their mothers.
Without mentioning you can try to avoid them. They are called 'Crisis' and they certainly are.

How would you describe it for us who still didn't buy Tyranny - because it's supposed to be a very short game?
That you can finish Torment2 in one afternoon... with less combat?

I didn't read the reviews as I didn't want to spoil myself in anyways. But as I am still within Fallout 4 and this game will still take another 50 hours or so I was wondering how long Torment actually is.
So if it's just 50h I'd just focus on torment for a while and then continue with Fallout 4. And if it's longer I'd proably play both game in parallel.

Back
Top Bottom