Witcher 3 - Revenues

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Joxer spotted some nice numbers for the Witcher series on PCGamesN:

CD Projekt Rich: Witcher 3 revenues total $250 million, trilogy sells 25 million

CD Projekt, the group that owns both famed developer CD Projekt Red and GOG, has announced their 2016 financial results and ho-boy, they’ve made some dollars and cents. Reporting a net profit of 251 million Polish Zloty (~64 million USD) for the year, they’ve released some rather nice statistics on how their most famous game series is getting along. Spoilers: very well indeed.

[...]
More information.

Shuddup and take my money.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-getting-paid-best-part-of-the-job.jpg

It sold more than Skyrim, right?

*In before crpgnut goes beserk* ;)

No, I'm pretty sure Skyrim sold significantly more, but TES in general was much better known and more mainstream than the Witcher series was leading up to TW3.

I wish they gave figures for each of the games Morbus but 25 million is a combined number. I'm sure that TW3 outsold the other 2 by a significant amount though.

No doubt TW3 was and still is the benchmark for all single player open word RPGs going forward. Knowing CDPR they will probably be the ones to raise the mark with Cyberpunk 2077.

Zloty's, Polish currency? As in, our Zloth? ( he must be popular there :p).

They were prior Witcher II, near bankruptcy, so this is quite a turn around. Hope this gives them some breathing room to release Cyberpunk without rushing it.

Last edited:
"Złoty" as in "łyżwy" Bo. Get your tongue around this one :lol:

Awesome news. With numbers like that how can they just stop the series?

They are young and ambitious DarNoor. Look what has happened to DA, ME, etc, etc...

Playing this now and enjoying it quite a bit much better than the second one which I didn't really care for and was glad to see end.

I'm probably not as big a fan of CDPR as many here but I'm still a fan and it's nice to see them do well.

The apex of open-world RPG in a traditional sense. Can't wait for them to step out of the mold.

The apex of open-world RPG in a traditional sense. Can't wait for them to step out of the mold.

I bet all Codexians had this impression while playing TW3:

Yea, the same one they get while posting something on RPGwatch.

In my opinion this is the best AAA RPG in forever.
It sold more than Skyrim, right?

Skyrim had US$1.39 billion in sales from an US$85 million development and marketing budget. That is a pretty sweet profit margin. You'd think there would be more players in the AAA cRPG market with those numbers. Maybe it's just too difficult to break in?

Hmmm, after 3 attempts I'm still yet to finish TW1 :s

The timing of this news is humorous in light of the recent IGN interview with Garriott who has some "pessimistic views" as to the future of cRPGs. He points out a lot of problems but while games like W3 still rise to prominence.

The timing of this news is humorous in light of the recent IGN interview with Garriott who has some "pessimistic views" as to the future of cRPGs. He points out a lot of problems but while games like W3 still rise to prominence.

He says something interesting in that interview that I agree with. It does seem that when the new technology comes out, the games simplify and focus on just showing off the new tech. That was sort of my experience with games over the years as new consoles came out. The first titles were generally the "Wow! Look at what this console can do!" type games, and then a little bit later the more complex games would drop. I don't know if that's a hard science or anything but I certainly noticed it growing up with the latest consoles.

Back
Top Bottom