Cyberpunk 2077 - Unconventional classes like Journalists

aries100

SasqWatch
According to Gameramt, Cyberpunk 2077, the game CD Project Red currently is working on,the game will have unconventional classes like executives, journalists etc.

Instead of traditional character types one would see in a typical science fiction game such as soldier or scientist, Cyberpunk 2077 will have classes like journalist, executive, rock star, and more..........Similar to the actual attributes they will contain, their names are a bit unorthodox, too, as the classes are Cop, Corporate, Fixer, Media, Netrunner, Nomad, Rockerboy, Solo, Techie, and Med-Tech.
As of now this game has not recieved an official release date nor has it been mentioned what platforms it wil be released on.

More information.

Class like ...executive!? I get that you can have 'classes' with a more social bent, but that seems a bit much. How will they balance such diverse skill sets (e.g. tech/combat vs many social classes) - especially when combat situations are almost certainly guaranteed? I never played the cyberpunk table top game - so maybe this is all supported there already...

Class like …executive!? I get that you can have 'classes' with a more social bent, but that seems a bit much. How will they balance such diverse skill sets (e.g. tech/combat vs many social classes) - especially when combat situations are almost certainly guaranteed? I never played the cyberpunk table top game - so maybe this is all supported there already…

Probably not as awful as it sounds. In Cyberpunk, it's a dystopian world run by ruthless corporations. "Executives" will probably just be a character background that lines up with those factions.

It sounds a bit like Traveller, where characters had careers instead of D&D-like adventuring classes.

Man, Traveller was an awesome pen and paper rpg. I like this idea of unconventional professions, it lends me hope that I can live out my dream as a shotgun-wielding chef. With mustard.

They follow the p&p rules to the letter. Each class has a unique special ability but other than that, it's pretty much a free system where only the skills and starting social connections are determined by the chosen class. The special abilities improve with the character's overall progressl. A Rockerboy can sway a small crowd with his performance at first but later as a star musician he can move a stadum full of fans to do his bidding (like, causing a riot). A cop can use his authority to influence people in interactions, a Solo has an initiative advantage when combat starts, a Nomad can call upon his pack for help, the Corporate can access the virtually limitless resources of his corporation.

The chosen role also determines how much a character earns per month if he or she chooses to work their more or less regular job. A corporate obviously earns the most whiel a Nomad earns very little.

Could see it working like this:
Char creation-> you set your stats, skills and life paths( giving bonuses, penalties, equipment, etc...like extended version of Arcanum background traits). Start of the game: player, new arrival in Night City.
"Roles" would work as rpg factions and would "blend" narrative to them...based on requirements ( stats,skills, reputation, etc)...for example, to become a cop for you need a clean record, good physical condition ( reflexes, body stat) and rank in specific skills ( firearms, intimidate/diplomacy, etc). Narrative would be more realistic, "down to earth"...here, like playing in a season of NYPD blue, starting out as a rookie, working your way up.
Class abilities, ( in this case "Authority") would be gained over it's course...as with your rank, equipment, access to specific role activities ( earning reputation/cash).

Outside of this, at it's core 2077 would play as Deus Ex plus Netrunning ( it's own playstyle: here it is an entire virtual world) and auxiliaries( wardrobe&style, crafting skills, etc).

2020 roles are very open and different from one another with one specific ability ( Nomad/Family, Cop/Authority, etc)...something like this would work well with it.

Class like …executive!? I get that you can have 'classes' with a more social bent, but that seems a bit much. How will they balance such diverse skill sets (e.g. tech/combat vs many social classes) - especially when combat situations are almost certainly guaranteed? I never played the cyberpunk table top game - so maybe this is all supported there already…

It will, but this is not a power fantasy and combat is often a last resort.
In Cyberpunk you do not go from 100 to 10000 HP's as you "level up"...more emphasis is on guile and skills, than bludgeoning your way through.
And if you make a mess here, you better hope nobody can trace it back.

From memory, the special skills are mostly combat related or oriented.
Marketing words as the approach is common.
Players are going to play PCs who apply their background to combat. GURPS had a generic way to do it. For example, a noble could tap into his noble guard asset etc, a monk could get the backup of its order.

There is little social class in that, just fancy names.

From memory, the special skills are mostly combat related or oriented.
Marketing words as the approach is common.
Players are going to play PCs who apply their background to combat. GURPS had a generic way to do it. For example, a noble could tap into his noble guard asset etc, a monk could get the backup of its order.

There is little social class in that, just fancy names.

Sorry Chien, I don't know what version of Cyberpunk you've "played" , but this are common skills from 2020 ( based on required stats, except for special abilities):

SPECIAL ABILITIES Authority (Cop), Charismatic Leadership (Rocker), Combat Sense (Solo), Credibility (Media), Family (Nomad), Interface (Netrunner), Jury Rig (Techie), Medical Tech (Medtechie), Resources (Corp), Streetdeal (Fixer),
ATTRACTIVENESS: Personal Grooming, Wardrobe & Style
BODY: Endurance, Strength Feat, Swimming
COOL/WILL: Interrogation, Intimidate, Oratory, Resist Torture/Drugs, Streetwise
EMPATHY: Human Perception, Interview, Leadership, Seduction, Social, Persuasion & Fast Talk, Perform,
INTELLIGENCE: Accounting, Anthropology, Awareness/Notice, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Composition, Diagnose Illness, Education & General Knowledge, Expert, Gamble, Geology, Hide/Evade, History, Know Language (choose between several), Library Search, Mathematics, Physics, Programming, Shadow/Track, Stock Market, System Knowledge, Teaching, Wilderness Survival, Zoology,
REFLEXES: Archery, Athletics, Brawling, Dance, Dodge & Escape, Driving, Fencing, Handgun, Heavy Weapons, Martial Arts (choose: from aikido to wrestling), Melee, Motorcycle, Operate Heavy Machinery, Pilot ( this covers several types separately from Gyro to Vect Thrust Vehicle), Rifle, Stealth, Submachinegun,
TECHNOLOGY: Aero Tech, AV Tech, Basic Tech, Cryotank Operation, Cyberdeck Deign, CyberTech, Demolitions, Disguise, Electronics, Electronic Security, First Aid, Forgery, Gyro Tech, Paint or Draw, Photo & Film, Pharmaceuticals, Pick Lock, Pick Pocket, Play Instrument, Weaponsmith,

This is all very awesome. A breath of fresh air.

When people say Journalists I think Blomkvist.

When people say Journalists I think of the scummy sensationalist headline parasites that don't report news, but instead report opinions and drivel.

I know its a flawed viewpoint but thats the way it goes. The terrorist minority wrecking it for the rest of them.

Sounds pretty cool. If the game has a lot of supplemental/non-combat skills to go along with the unique roles, it's going to be interesting.

Great guns! When they made the game set in 2077, I figured that would be used as an excuse to make everything more combat oriented like a traditional computer RPG. Character classes like rockers and journalists, though, are a lot more about politics than battles.

The classes really imply to me that we'll have control of multiple characters. I really don't see how you make a game where all those types of characters will be able to work through the game on their own.

I wonder... what if we get to control one of each type of character? If you get a traditional go-kill-the-evil-folks you take your solo or nomad. If you get a tip that somebody is going to be doing something naughty, you send in your journalist. Your suit probably finds (and funds) missions. Your fixer sells the loot. All of them getting their time in the sun - or rainy neon since this is cyberpunk. I would love that! An awful lot of folks would really hate it, too, so probably not but I can dream.

When people say Journalists I think Blomkvist.
I think the Max Headroom TV series.

Sorry Chien, I don't know what version of Cyberpunk you've "played" , but this are common skills from 2020 ( based on required stats, except for special abilities):

SPECIAL ABILITIES Authority (Cop), Charismatic Leadership (Rocker), Combat Sense (Solo), Credibility (Media), Family (Nomad), Interface (Netrunner), Jury Rig (Techie), Medical Tech (Medtechie), Resources (Corp), Streetdeal (Fixer),

Words with no content. People still at that. While providing the contradiction material.
http://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Roles
Rockerboy, leadership to be applied to the sociality of a rocker, leading a band into writing songs. No.

Corporate:

This represents the Corporate's ability to command corporation resources. It is used as a persuasion skill, based on the scale of resources requested. This could include bodyguards, weapons, vehicles, buildings, money, etc. Obviously, the more powerful the Corporate, the more he can call upon at any one time. Your level of Resources determines exactly how much you can request from the Corporation without overreaching yourself. A Resource ability rated at +2 might get you access to a Company car. An ability of +6 might allow you to use the Corporate Security Division. A Resources of +9 would allow you access to almost all levels of the Corporation, as well as the ability to requisition almost any Company resource. Ones Resource ability is based on intelligence.
Self explicit.

Little social in that.

I vaguely remember that a class could use the camera flash to blind/stun critters - wasn't that in Nethack ?

Excellent. Something different in the endless pantheon of D&D Tolkien derivative RPG's. Let's hope it opens up and revolutionizes what an RPG can be.

Last edited:
It's all about implementation and if they can make these kinds of characters work within the game world and have meaningful gameplay that supports being something like a journalist.

If it's just a class label and press A for "press senses" with a magical pen pointing you towards "clues" - then it's not going to impress.

However, on the surface it sounds good so far - and I'm keen to see what they come up with.

But it's not a game particularly high on my wanted list after what they did with Witcher 3.

Back
Top Bottom