Halcyon 6: SC - Lightspeed Edition Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Halcyon 6 will be updated to Lightspeed Edition, free for all existing owners.

Hello Commanders!

We're please to announce Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition! A community-driven, reworked, rebalanced take on the original game along with new features and content, optimized for faster progression for an action packed adventure on board your favourite starbase. Out on August 10th, this one's FREE for all our existing players of course. A big thanks to you, our backers and players for making the galaxy a better place ;)

Here's the official trailer:

And here's a summary of what's in Lightspeed Edition:

• Streamlined Campaign greatly speeds up progression and tightens the campaign to an action and adventure packed 12 hrs depending on your play style and pace
  • Streamlined All Systems for faster progression, including economy, starbase, resources, and officer levelling.
  • New Officer Progression System with 6 subclasses, 3 Prestige classes, new skill tree, and over 20+ new Prestige/Epic powers.
  • New Ship Loadout and Config screen will let you customize loadouts (and save them) for your ships just before entering combat
  • Enhanced Combat includes 25+ new alien faction space combat abilities, more combos for both players and enemies, increased faction weaknesses and resistances, and other balancing tweaks
  • New UI Overhaul designed for greater readability and usability. Many quality of life enhancements to all areas of the game, too many to list here.
  • New Difficulty Mode called Vice Admiral and slightly increased difficulty across the board
What can you do to help?

For those of you on Twitter, please help by LIKING and RETWEETING our announcement here:
https://twitter.com/Halcyon6Game/status/887002078538846208

And feel free to LIKE and SHARE our trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQ52bRgK_Y

We'll be announcing one final big sale for H6 on July 20th. Keep an eye out for that and let your friends know!

Thanks again for all your support! More coming in future updates :)

The Halcyon 6 Team
More information.

The released game had so much grinding (in my opinion) that I quit after 15 hours (supposedly it took between 20-25 hours of gameplay), but there was some charm and good core ideas to it. I might have to give it a try again some time.

Yeah I might give this one another look too after the release. I didn't last anywhere near 15 hours on my playthrough before I got bored, but I could still see some potential and I'm willing to check out the remake.

Halcyon 6 is a classic case of a dev with really strong design sense and original ideas, combined with zero balance, poor pacing, lots of holes in the interface and other issues. In short, it looked great and played good for the first couple of hours, then got flat fast. They still might deliver great things in future.

Halcyon 6 is a classic case of a dev with really strong design sense and original ideas, combined with zero balance, poor pacing, lots of holes in the interface and other issues. In short, it looked great and played good for the first couple of hours, then got flat fast. They still might deliver great things in future.

This update looks to fix the pacing, which was the biggest problem for me, and I admire them for trying to fix their game. Look at how many games with sort of quality just get abandoned when developers realize they haven't made a successful or popular game, and instead of trying to learn from their mistakes, they move on to the next one which turns out just as bad, because of similar issues. I do agree with you 100% though. This game had a lot of great things going for it, but just wasn't fun for long as originally released.

Yeah I might give this one another look too after the release. I didn't last anywhere near 15 hours on my playthrough before I got bored, but I could still see some potential and I'm willing to check out the remake.

Yeah, in my case I'm probably overly hopeful that things will improve as the game advances (classic case for me: the Final Fantasy 10 remaster, which I found pretty boring for the first 5 hours, and now after 40, I'd say is a great game, if you like jrpgs) but in the case of the original release of Halcyon 6, I realized that grinding only increased as the game advanced, and only quit when I realized how much more I'd have to grind in order to build level 5 ships.

Yeah, in my case I'm probably overly hopeful that things will improve as the game advances (classic case for me: the Final Fantasy 10 remaster, which I found pretty boring for the first 5 hours, and now after 40, I'd say is a great game, if you like jrpgs) but in the case of the original release of Halcyon 6, I realized that grinding only increased as the game advanced, and only quit when I realized how much more I'd have to grind in order to build level 5 ships.

I finished the game and don't think it lasted that long for me? Sounds like they'll address pacing in the update though. I enjoyed my runthrough, and might replay it with the new additions.

The released game had so much grinding...
I didn't buy the game on release.
If this new edition drops the design crime, please gimme a nudge.

This game is a great example of how hard it is to make a great game. As others have said, there are some good ideas and systems in this game - and I think they did a good job with the overall aesthetic too - but everything doesn't quite mesh enough to pull you into that "just one more turn/thing" mentality. Instead, things get boring fairly early into the game.

Back
Top Bottom