System Shock - E3 Developer Interview

Just to say I've "tried" Styx 2 which is made on UE4.
Count me positively surprised - it's obviously not as powerful as TW3 engine nor it feels like "fit for openworlds", but does an awsome job when it comes to closed areas. Unlike ME1 where elevator loadscreens had to hide horrible loading time, here an (rather biggish) area loads almost instantly.

Thus I have no fear the remake will look and feel right. Well… Unless they return the ancient endless trashmobs design that had to be used back in the days of limited storage. And they don't have to - whatever you kill in Styx2, stays dead permanently.

Very curious to see what they're doing with this - and I'm very happy they're not just focusing on a visual upgrade.

I wouldn't mind a 100% pure visual upgrade - but, given the choice, I would always want something new instead of just reliving the past.

Quite curious myself, the final product is eagerly anticipated by me and a few friends. It doesn't have to have new content for me, but I wouldn't exactly turn it down, either.

Definitely one of my most anticipated games for 2018(?).

I love the original System Shock, but it's finlly getting dated to the point where it's hard for me to play anymore.

You guys have pegged my thoughts exactly. +1's all around :)

Look of the game is soo "Meh!" now that they banished the awesome looking pixel based graphics. To their detriment. Created a mediocre junk, that I'll avoid.

IMO System Shock was never about looks. Ditching it just because it got some new clothes that belong in year 2017. while trying to preserve it's soul is ridiculous.

Look of the game is soo "Meh!" now that they banished the awesome looking pixel based graphics. To their detriment. Created a mediocre junk, that I'll avoid.

Not sure what game you're thinking of, but the SS remake never had anything like pixel graphics at any point.

Well, strictly speaking all game visuals are made up of pixels :)

But I think mercy is referring to that awful nostalgic "low res pixel-mode" available in that brief demo they released.

Ah ok, I don't remember that. I played the demo, but I never noticed an option to change the graphics in that way.

I'm pretty sure it's something I wouldn't care for though. :)

Ah ok, I don't remember that. I played the demo, but I never noticed an option to change the graphics in that way.

I'm pretty sure it's something I wouldn't care for though. :)

Well, the original demo had it as mandatory IIRC - but they updated it with a later version where they removed it. But they kept the old version available, so you could pick your own mode for the visuals.

Personally, I FAR preferred the updated version.

Are they still updating the demo? It's been 5-6 months since the last time I tried it. I wonder if they have a new one. I haven't really been following the development all that closely.

Are they still updating the demo? It's been 5-6 months since the last time I tried it. I wonder if they have a new one. I haven't really been following the development all that closely.

No, AFAIK they only made that one update.

They switched engine to UE4 soon after, so I wouldn't expect another update for the demo.

Back
Top Bottom