Quantcast
Divinity: Original Sin II - Voice Acting Confirmed - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Voice Acting Confirmed

Default Divinity: Original Sin II - Voice Acting Confirmed

August 3rd, 2017, 13:09
Larian tweeted this tidbit recently. Voice acting is a go for Divinity Original Sin II.

Last week we were in the UK recording voice actors and doing mocap! It's HAPPENING AHHH!
— Larian Studios (@larianstudios) August 2, 2017
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 13:20
I wonder what the mocap is for?

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

August 3rd, 2017, 13:21
Umm so is this coming in a later patch? Seems kind of VERY late for a September 14th release to be doing that now, no?
Not that I was planning to play before the EE anyway but will people get only 70% of the game on release again?

Moriendor

Spielkind

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 3rd, 2017, 13:55
I thought they weren't voice acting because of the amount of text. D:OS had very uneven voice acting. I thought most of the companions weren't well done, but some of the main npcs were. I personally think voice acting is something better done right or not at all.
Last edited by forgottenlor; August 3rd, 2017 at 15:36.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

August 3rd, 2017, 14:39
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
I thought they weren't voice acting because of the amount of text. D:OS had very unever voice acting. I thought most of the companions weren't well done, but some of the main npcs were. I personally thing voice acting is something better done right or not at all.
Its probably not full voice acted but partial like the first go round of Divinity: Original Sin. It will be interesting to see the final result.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

August 3rd, 2017, 18:01
Interesting. I myself don't particularly mind voice acting as long as it's limited. I'm more invested in characters when the majority of their persona is left up to imagination, which I believe can be conveyed well through text.

Having said that, however, I am a big fan of rather hammy characters, and when that's expressed through voice acting it's an absolute treat.
--
~Watching since 2007~
Last edited by Ragnaris; August 3rd, 2017 at 23:28.

Ragnaris

Watchdog

+1:

August 3rd, 2017, 22:46
A waste of time and resources.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

August 4th, 2017, 09:37
Not at all. Voices can add quite a bit to game. Anyway 6 more weeks….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 4th, 2017, 10:35
I was planning on playing this on day 1, but this made me somewhat uneasy. Shouldn't this sort of thing have been completed some time ago?

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

August 4th, 2017, 10:57
I just read the text and am not going to wait for an NPC to finish talking. I break it off an move on. Voice acting is overrated and often unneeded in the way I play my games.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 4th, 2017, 11:09
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I just read the text and am not going to wait for an NPC to finish talking. I break it off an move on. Voice acting is overrated and often unneeded in the way I play my games.
Having important lines here and there voice-acted, just so the player gets a sense of what voice that character is intended to have, isn't a bad idea. Also, atmospheric voice/banter is good. But I'll never understand how there are apparently players out there who actually sit around and just wait for a voice actor to read off the lines during dialogue. I guess it's the same crowd who opts for audio books in a situation where they could just be reading the actual book instead. Oh wait, that's nobody.

Stingray

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 4th, 2017, 11:44
Maybe I play my games like I read books. I just imagine their voices
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
+1:

August 4th, 2017, 11:47
I actually prefer partial voicing the most - this way, you get clear picture of what the devs intended for each characters to sound like, then apply your imagination of how lines are said!
--
Favourite 5 RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale I, The Aielund Saga, Stardew Valley, The Witcher 3

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

August 4th, 2017, 12:34
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Having important lines here and there voice-acted, just so the player gets a sense of what voice that character is intended to have, isn't a bad idea.
That's up to debate. Many prefer abstraction to simulation myself included.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston
Last edited by luj1; August 4th, 2017 at 12:46.

luj1

SasqWatch

August 4th, 2017, 12:35
Sure, I could see it going either way. Leaving it completely up to the imagination is fine as well.

But voice-acting everything is just a giant waste of time and actually annoying.

Stingray

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 4th, 2017, 12:58
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Speak for yourself.

I enjoy good voiceover that fits a character. By that I don't mean only japanese exaggerated moans and whatnot, dubs if done properly can also be good. An example where dub is horrible compared to original is Valkyria Chronicles. Through the game I just couldn't believe how original VO is so superior to dub. An example where dub seems great is just released on Steam Trials of Cold Steel, this dub finally doesn't feel like some random people are reading text completely uninterested in it.

In my case, sometimes an actor can make a character believable. As if ones and zeros are actually alive. For example if Claudia Black wasn't behind Morrigan there is a good chance I wouldn't care about her at all.
Sometimes, voiceover is so unique I just can't get enough of it. An example is "being on heavy drugs" Jensen.

Voiceover and text is not the same thing. I always play games with subtitles turned on. When voiceover sucks, but writing is still good, I'll skip to the next line of text before yucky voiceover ends just like Myrthos. But this is not something I always do.

Voiceover IMO is not overrated. What's overrated sometimes are games with good voiceover. The best example is GTA5. It's mediocre racing sim with horrible controls overrated because of one of best voiceovers ever.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

August 4th, 2017, 16:22
Depends on the game for me. I could not imagine a Witcher 3, a TES or a PB game without proper VO while I can live with more limited VO in games like D:OS, PoE etc.

I also skip most dialogues before the line is finished but it depends a little on how much the game grabs me. If I really enjoy the game and the writing is good then I might try to take it all in and might even listen to every line in full. This can also be very relaxing. Just stay awhile and listen

On the other hand if the game is "only" pretty decent, the writing OK-ish etc. then I will probably skip a lot of VO, especially if it is side quest NPCs with nothing much of value to say.
I will only listen to the full lines at pivotal moments of the story or any other important dialogue.

I like that they are going to have VO in D:OS 2 and would not consider it a waste of resources. They have put some pretty unique characters in the game and VO might add quite a bit of flavor to their personalities.
A quick Larian game example: Remember (I'm sure everyone does who has played the game, right? ) the crazy rhyming mage Bellegar from Divinity DKS? That character would have (IMHO) only been half the fun without the VO.

Moriendor

Spielkind

August 4th, 2017, 16:34
There have only been a small handful of games where I enjoyed the voice acting: Fallout, Baldur's Gate & series, Jagged Alliance 2. It was sparse, you never felt like it was dragging on and you wanted to skip it, and the key word was "acting". Fewer lines, better delivery, and of course, it was well written. Haven't seen anything like that this century.

screeg

floating head

August 5th, 2017, 01:11
I turn ALL sounds OFF when I play, so I couldn't care less about VO's!!
--
If God said it, then that settles it!!

[email protected]

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 5th, 2017, 02:01
From what I played of D:OS, some of the VA was fine, but Larian made some very questionable casting decisions. Madora's fake American Southern accent was just unbearable.

Anyway I don't care about VA. All I want to know is if the gameplay has been improved. If it's still endless trash mobs, random generic loot, and talking inanimate objects, I'll pass.
--
Currently Playing: Expeditions: Viking
, NWN

daveyd

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Voice Acting Confirmed