Quantcast
General News - A Starflight Remake in the Works? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - A Starflight Remake in the Works?

Default General News - A Starflight Remake in the Works?

August 12th, 2017, 00:13
OnlySP thinks a remake of the space adventure Starflight is in the works - based on a tweet by Brian Fargo:

Enigmatic Tweet Hints at Remake of 1986’s Starflight

On August 8, InXile CEO Brian Fargo sent out a tweet that may pique the interest of gamers, teasing a possible remake of the classic 1986 EA title Starflight.

While Fargo’s tweet indicates that InXile is not developing the purported remake, it serves as a strong implication that someone else is.

Old-school gamers may remember Starflight, an adventure role-playing game once available for the IBM PC, Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Macintosh, and Sega Genesis. Set in the year 4620, the game’s plot revolves around a starship captain exploring the reaches of the galaxy. The non-linear game allowed players to choose their own path through the story, making it one of the earliest sandbox games ever released.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 12th, 2017, 00:13
If inXile's filthy lamer paws aren't anywhere near the development, there is hope!!

mercy

Keeper of the Watch

August 12th, 2017, 04:15
I played hundreds of hours of Starflight back in the day on an 8086 no less. Also on a C64.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

August 12th, 2017, 05:45
I used to play the Sega Genesis version.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

August 12th, 2017, 09:18
I loved upgrading and outfitting my starship and levelling up my crew. The whole resource economy was interesting in that you had to work to find the optimum buy/sell of each thing you wanted on planets or at starbase. Conversing with aliens and exploring/uncovering the mystery was the most fun thing. Combat was not very developed and quite basic.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

+1:

August 12th, 2017, 12:16
Someone made another Masters of Orion too, and that didn't go swimmingly. Just because it was once a great game series doesn't mean that the next one will be up to the same level when it's done with a new team and after so long, so I'll keep my excitement down until there's gameplay videos out there.

Avantre

Watchdog

August 12th, 2017, 12:20
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
If inXile's filthy lamer paws aren't anywhere near the development, there is hope!!
He said "not us". Luckily!
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

August 12th, 2017, 13:09
I think I only played Starflight 2 but it was a great game once you got into it. Don't think I finished it but I got pretty far and I would like a remake.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

August 12th, 2017, 14:20
The Sega Genesis port of the original Starflight was excellent, I heard, and got the seal of approval from fans of the computer version. As for myself, I first attempted Starflight on my old Commodore 64 in the late 1980s/early 90s. I found it compelling and wanted to finish it but my disk was corrupt. Then I attempted it again about 4 years ago on the Amiga (which I heard is another excellent port, mainly because it has full mouse support). For some reason, it just didn't grab me so I stopped. But the game play mechanics of Starflight intrigue me, as does Star Control 2 (its followup). I even considered returning to No Man's Sky because I saw someone raving about it as a modern successor to Starflight with the latest patches and updates.

JackOfOwls

Watchdog

August 12th, 2017, 15:06
Huh. I missed the Sega Genesis version of this. Time to fire up an emulator on my tablet.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

August 12th, 2017, 16:23
There was an interesting article I read about starflight and why it had to come out on the IBM machines at the time due to memory allocations.

I would be really interested in a remake.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 12th, 2017, 17:15
I played this a ton on my commy, I'd buy an updated version that would work on my current computer in a heartbeat.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 13th, 2017, 19:12
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Why ????
inXile could do something great !

On the side, funny to read my little @dagonslair tweet on a mainstream website :-)

the_dagon

Watcher

August 14th, 2017, 15:45
Amiga version, represent!

Some of the worst DRM ever. Codewheel every time you dock

SirJames

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

August 14th, 2017, 16:35
Please forgive me for a slightly off topic post, but this thread has sent me on something of a journey. I thought I'd played Starflight, but when I looked it up on Google I didn't recognise it at all. The game I remembered had a different graphic style and overhead view of exploring space stations etc - I remember it being an awesome sandbox rpg/adventure/trading SIM for its time. So did some further googling and tracked it down - it was called Space Rogue, and it still looks pretty great for a game released on the c64 in 1989. Then I noticed it had been made by Paul Neurath of Ultima Underworld and System Shock 2 fame, who is also working on the new Underworld game. It's like a half faded picture just started making sense. anyway, sorry for the divergence, I just had to share that!

Back on topic, it sounds like the kind of thing if be interested in if it was done right.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

August 14th, 2017, 18:32
Neat, Pongo. Have to make mental notes of all these games. So many games and not enough time to play them all!

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

+1:

August 14th, 2017, 19:47
Space Rogue was awesome!

Starflight was awesome!

Me and my buddy would play it on his 286. There was this guy, (Humna humna?) everytime he showed up we shouted "fart head!" He always had something good for us and called us "good pal buddie".

I can't remember if we completed Starflight, but we started Starflight 2 and didn't get too far before I went off to college or somesuch.

Space Rogue I got close to the end but didn't finish. I don't think I could play it again today. I think its considered a pre-runner to Wing Commander.

Either way, these two games represent the Sci-Fi RPG where you upgrade your ship instead of levelling up your character. These are more RPG than your typical Space Trader game.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

+1:

August 15th, 2017, 14:23
One of those games I never got to play back in the day. I'm sure I would have loved it to bits.

NewDArt

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » General News - A Starflight Remake in the Works?