Quantcast
RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Viking Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Viking Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Viking Review

September 25th, 2017, 10:52
Purpleblob sent us a review of Logic Artists' Expeditions: Viking and found some good and some lesser good.

Upon completing Expeditions: Viking, I sighed with the rush of mixed feelings. It was a fun journey, enough to revisit the game for the second time which is something I rarely do. Yet, it didn't provide me with the sense of delight and satisfaction I usually feel upon completing games I love. Certainly, Viking has many interesting qualities that caught my attention during the early game. However, my initial glee was replaced by disappointment the deeper I got in as the game fails to flesh out its implemented features and leaves one with the feeling it could have really benefited from some extra development time to address its flaws.

The game begins at a feast held in honour of your father, the late Thegn of your clan. His rule left the clan in a vulnerable position, and it's left to you to uphold your family's honour by strengthening the clan, and cementing your position as the new Thegn. You set your eyes upon the land across the sea, hoping to bring back whatever is necessary to improve both your clan's military power, and its prosperity.

Whether you decide to achieve this through bloody invasions or by using a diplomatic approach to establish trade and secure an alliance with the Anglo-Saxons or Celts, there is only one year left until the next Althing. Should you fail in your expedition, you will be made an exile by the King and lose everything you hold dear.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 10:52
Thanks Purpleblob!
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

September 25th, 2017, 13:04
Superb review.
Can't add nor argue anything.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 13:18
Thanks, joxer Despite my criticism, I hope people will try out Viking, it is still a fun game!
--
Favourite 5 RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale I, The Aielund Saga, Stardew Valley, The Witcher 3

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:

September 25th, 2017, 13:39
I don't know, after your review, I think Vikings will go farther down my buy list. A 3 star review does not happen much on this site. The reasons you stated is why I have held out on buying this game for this long.

I love the viking era and a game like this would usually be an instabuy. I named my one dog Rollo for Woden's sake He's an Icelandic Sheepdog. The ones the vikings used as watchdogs.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 13:43
I think I'm quite harsh on the rating than others I gave 4/5 for both Stardew Valley and The Aielund Saga, and I personally LOVE both games. But looking at RPGWatch rating system, I still think 3/5 is the right score for Viking.
--
Favourite 5 RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale I, The Aielund Saga, Stardew Valley, The Witcher 3

purpleblob

Princess

+1:

September 25th, 2017, 13:54
For the record, a score of 3 means:
A score of 3/5 indicates a good game held back by obvious technical or design issues that limit the appeal. Games that score 3/5 will often split opinion, depending on how strongly the player perceives the flaws.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

September 25th, 2017, 14:10
Thanks, excellent review. Sounds like some more time to flesh out stuff and polish the game a bit could have made a big difference.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 25th, 2017, 14:12
Thanks, purpleblob!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 15:06
when is the expansion coming ? december?

edit. nevermind. its just constant patches. gonna give it another year till its polished
Last edited by borcanu; September 25th, 2017 at 15:36.

borcanu

muist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 15:37
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I don't know, after your review, I think Vikings will go farther down my buy list. A 3 star review does not happen much on this site. The reasons you stated is why I have held out on buying this game for this long.

I love the viking era and a game like this would usually be an instabuy. I named my one dog Rollo for Woden's sake He's an Icelandic Sheepdog. The ones the vikings used as watchdogs.
I only played the first chapter, when I did the preview, and think that was worth playing (the first 12 hours or so) I think they balanced that part of the game well. From what I hear after that it goes downhill and becomes too easy. Its too bad with the bugs though. I know a ton of them were reported by the beta testers, but the second chapter was only available for testing shortly before release, and if it had as many bugs as the beginning, its no wonder that they couldn't get them all out. That said though, like an Obsidian game, this game's bugs and shortfalls have a lot to do with it being very ambitious. Make no mistake, E:V is a western CRPG with lots of features, its got complicated character and party building, a good story with dialogue trees, and its not linear. There aren't many games like this being made nowadays.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 15:48
I agree with forgottenlor. If they kept up with the quality of first chapter of the game, would have been one of my favourites but unfortunately they've bitten off more than they could chew
--

purpleblob

Princess

September 25th, 2017, 20:29
Thanks for the review!

Battles get very repetitive too and this is especially due to the lack of enemy variety.
This is probably one reason why there are so few historical cRPGs around. Mundane tactical combat simulation gets old quickly, at least prior to the 20th century.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 20:52
Great review, @purpleblob! Well done
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

September 25th, 2017, 21:08
Excellent review, @purpleblob, you took the words right out of my mouth !
--
"You may be a doctor. But I'm THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say."

beldurax

Old RPG Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

September 26th, 2017, 00:39
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
For the record, a score of 3 means:
Might be worth adding this to the review … Makes it more informative in my opinion.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:

September 26th, 2017, 01:26
I only played the release version and I only skim read the review, but I agree with the points and the verdict. Balance was horrible (and apparently after the patch it's still bad), lots of the quests aren't really satisfying /badly implemented, resources feel somewhat pointless, exploration of the zone maps felt boring and looting all the crates was annoying, and the timer wasn't implemented well either. Instead the game felt rough and unpolished.

Of course not all is bad. I liked the story telling for the most part as well as the setting, graphics and music, even though it volume was broken back then at some places.

So all in all I gave the game a "neutral" rating, which is probably around the 3/5 given here.

I'd defenitely recommend Expeditions Conquistador over Viking.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Vision
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

September 26th, 2017, 06:35
I haven't experienced initial release but from what I've read the game is much better received now. I would recommend people to revisit Viking once the higher difficult setting + iron made mode is implemented.

I was hoping that my review gave an impression the game is fun and worth the time, just fell short of its potential. I hope people don't focus too much on the score, its very subjective matter.

Anyway, all feedback is appreciated
--

purpleblob

Princess

+1:

September 26th, 2017, 06:54
I think I would have given it a 2/5, though for almost exactly the same reasons as @purpleblob gave - so just a matter of taste there.

I see her seeing the same pattern as I saw: things start out great then die on the vine. In the early parts of the game when you're gathering the NPC party members, they've got great personalities. Then you get them in the party and they turn into a generic bag of skills. Camping was a fun, new thing in the early game but then you get enough party members to easily cover all the jobs and it turns into tedium. Combat is fun and challenging but then you get all the skills and it turns into the same battles over and over.

I didn't even finish the game. I was so underwhelmed by Ketill's personal quest that I stopped completely.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 26th, 2017, 09:57
And still no linux version - which the previous game had. With the ever-increasing number of games coming to linux as well, I really only make rare exceptions to buy Windows-only games.

Like D:OS 2, a worthy exception! And one I expect to be ported to linux as well at some point - D:OS 1 was as well, after all. And it is the same engine.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Viking Review