Vaporum - Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Vaporum - Review

Default Vaporum - Review

October 7th, 2017, 19:36
Chalgyr reviewed the dungeon crawler Vaporum:

Vaporum - PC Review

Vaporum treads into territory that I have personally seen very little of. While I love the Dungeon Crawling style I think to this point I have only ever explored Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox by myself without party members by my side. Taking things a step further, youll have to be quick on your toes because Vaporum while being designed as that robust old school Wizardry styled adventure that we all love, is also designed to be experienced in real-time.
[…]
Any fan of the Dungeon Crawling experience will find plenty to love here with the mix of the old schooled ideas and the new ones. Adding real-time elements to an experience that for so long as been turned based was brilliant and it works. While Im not sure if the concepts that Vaporum introduce will become widely used in the future, I may have found myself with a new classic to hold others to a new standard.

Score: 8.5/10
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

October 7th, 2017, 19:36
This game looks pretty good but as far as the review goes, has this guy never played Grimrock?! Or at least heard of it?!

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

October 7th, 2017, 22:20
This game is faster than Grimrock. It's almost a pseudo-FPS in a weird way. Requires faster reflexes and quick thinking as the combat can get really intense at times.

It's a really neat game. It's much better than I was expecting when I played the beta. It really came out of nowhere.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 7th, 2017, 22:22
Hearing that is more frantic than Grimrock isn't a good feature. Now I'm even less inclined to check this one out.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 7th, 2017, 22:56
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Hearing that is more frantic than Grimrock isn't a good feature. Now I'm even less inclined to check this one out.
It's faster because you're only controlling 1 character as opposed to 4. I'll probably check it out but it won't be for awhile.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 7th, 2017, 23:23
Based on what I've seen you play before I think you'd like it @JDR13.

The battles can be really challenging, and you have to carefully manage your Repair Kits over time. I like it a lot but then again I also don't need every game to be slow or turn-based.

That said I would also recommend a Steam Controller for playing it, not just because I'm a big fan of the Steam Controller but because it makes strafing and turning more intuitive (to me, YMMV.) But quick example, using Left Bumper + Right Bumper for strafing. That's a big improvement IMO.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

October 10th, 2017, 00:42
I'm definitely not interested in a game more "twitchy" or fast paced than Grimrock. That description makes me want to do a hard pass on this one. (Pseudo-FPS in my RPGs isn't something I look for, the last type of game I enjoyed in that genre was Mass Effect. I passed on ME3.)

ElderGnome

Gnome of the World

Location: High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern US
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Vaporum - Review