Quantcast
RPGWatch Feature - Monster's Den: Godfall Review - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Monster's Den: Godfall Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - Monster's Den: Godfall Review

November 15th, 2017, 10:56
In 2015 Monster's Den: Godfall was Kickstarted by 761 people. Now the results of the labor of a single man is available and Forgottenlor crawled through its dungeons to see how good a dungeon crawler it is and surfaced again with some reservations.

Excellent combat, varied loot, and interesting character building are essential parts of a successful dungeon crawler. But those factors alone don't make a great dungeon crawler. The dungeon itself is an important part of the equation. Great dungeon crawlers take players to mysterious and unusual places, where its never clear what is around the next corner. They also offer the player a break now and again from combat. Whether its clever puzzles, enviormental hazards, scrolls full of lore, strange fountains to drink from, a story of sorts (though this is never central to a dungeon crawler), or varied locations, it is essential that a dungeon crawler mixes things up to keep combat from becoming too repetitive. Monster's Den: Godfall is an impressive one man project. Its also a fairly low priced indie dungeon crawler, and while it does many things well, in the end it forgets the “dungeon” in “dungeon crawler.”
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 10:56
Thanks Forgottenlor.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 14:05
Thanks for reviewing this. It's on my Steam wishlist. After reading this review it may stay there a little longer. Exploring is always one of my favorite activities in these type of games.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 16:05
I played the free versions of monster's den and the release version looks nearly identical to the past games. I just don't see a need to pay for something I've already played for free. I did paypal the author $5 back in the day of his freebies. This is a supremely simple game with decent battle tactics. That's about it; or it was in the free days at least.
@forgottenlor seemed to match my general expectations.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 16:22
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
Thanks for reviewing this. It's on my Steam wishlist. After reading this review it may stay there a little longer. Exploring is always one of my favorite activities in these type of games.
I make mine your words, @Hastar: the game is also on my wishlist and it probably will stay there a bit more,

As always, thanks for the great review @forgottenlor
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 19:03
Thanks for the good review… might be worth picking up on sale at some point.

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 19:52
Thanks for the review! Gonna pick it up at some point. I liked to play it on Kongregate back in the days, so it should be a nice time-waster for inbetween.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 15th, 2017, 20:32
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
While I can enjoy fairly linear games with limited exploration (Like Final Fantasy X or Dragon Age 2), but games with next to 0 exploration or boring exploration are also a major downer for me. I like finding new and interesting things as a game evolves and when that's missing I often can't be motivated to continue.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 16th, 2017, 06:34
I played this for about two hours today, and I'd disagree about no exploration in this game. If you stick to the generic quests ya, you won't see much, but just go exploring the big map and you'll run into lots of fun stuff. I got my nose bloodied but good once or twice!

I'll be playing more tomorrow!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

November 16th, 2017, 15:21
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I played this for about two hours today, and I'd disagree about no exploration in this game. If you stick to the generic quests ya, you won't see much, but just go exploring the big map and you'll run into lots of fun stuff. I got my nose bloodied but good once or twice!

I'll be playing more tomorrow!
There are random encounters on the map and some of them are quite challenging, but I always got random treasure in return. I didn't find this very rewarding once I figured this out. Perhaps you'll find something interesting on the world map I missed. If so I'd be interested to know! I did find some unique monsters on the world map, though.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

November 16th, 2017, 15:36
Thanks, forgottenlor!

Never been a big fan of dungeon crawlers, and it doesn't sound like this is the game that's going to change my mind on that.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Monster's Den: Godfall Review