Quantcast
Stardew Valley - Has Sold 3.5 Million on PC - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Stardew Valley - Has Sold 3.5 Million on PC

Default Stardew Valley - Has Sold 3.5 Million on PC

January 22nd, 2018, 13:58
DSOGaming reports that Stardew Valley has sold 3.5 million copies on Steam.

Now while Superdata did not reveal the exact number of sold copies, we can take a look at Steamspy in order to get an idea of how many the PC sales actually are. And according to Steamspy’s data, the Steam version has sold 3.5 million copies.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 16:03
Damn. So many people like a game my 7 year old plays sometimes.
I guess too many manchildren nowadays.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 16:12
Well ignoring that last comment…

Good for the dev, he worked hard to make a game he loves and is continuing to update. This is also available on consoles so I think he has sold even more then that.
--
If you don't stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front.

rune_74

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

January 22nd, 2018, 16:42
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
The game is low stress and has a large number of effectively implemented gameplay systems. You can farm, mine, build, craft, engage in the community socially and buy and sell. You can engage in whichever system you want when you want. The four seasons are there to mix up the game play every 7-8 hours or so.
There are so many games that are all combat or all puzzles or whatever, and many of these demand you make quick decisions or don't allow you to quit when you want, few of them give yo so many choices. Don't get me wrong, I like these types of games too, but Stardew Valley sold well not only because its an easy game to play, but because of its variation and its pacing.
Even if its not your style in terms of themes and graphics, there is a lot to be learned here about how to make a successful game.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 16:53
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
Stardew Valley sold well not only because its an easy game to play, but because of its variation and its pacing.
Can't agree more.
The game starts as farmville but soon opens a wide variety of activities - I spent perhaps 1% of time on actual farming in SV, while 99% of time I was doing everything else offered in the game.

What also helped? Everyone refuses to believe me because I guss it's too hard to ask on Steam forums if it's true.
EA screwed Sims fans with Sims4. That game sold well, but it was an utter disappointment, not to mention it's expansions are all trash. Stardew Valley filled that void, it's not as fancy as Sims 3, but sure is more fun than Sims 4.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 17:13
If this game actually has zero combat in it, well, those are impressive sales numbers. I lived on a farm as a child, so I kind of understand the appeal, but at the same time I also hunted and slayed things =p

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 17:23
Even if its not your style in terms of themes and graphics, there is a lot to be learned here about how to make a successful game.
This is not my style of game, but I always appreciate great design. It's also awesome to see one man upstage AAA companies with 8-digit budgets.

screeg

floating head

January 22nd, 2018, 17:23
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
If this game actually has zero combat in it, well, those are impressive sales numbers. I lived on a farm as a child, so I kind of understand the appeal, but at the same time I also hunted and slayed things =p
I am sure you didn't spent most of your time trying to acquire presents to give to different people in the village or go into local mines to get resources (or so I am told you can do).

Archangel

SasqWatch

January 22nd, 2018, 17:40
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Not zero combat, there is a mine inhabited by creatures that you explore and gather resources for in, slowly opening up deeper areas with better resources and more dangerous creatures. It's not a big part of the game, but it would also be hard (but not impossible) to ignore it completely.

fadedc

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 19:10
Love this game. So much love has gone into it, its my go to game whenever I feel stessed - just let your animals lose on the farm and watch them wander about while listening to the game's fabulous bgm.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale I, The Aielund Saga, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

January 22nd, 2018, 19:19
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Your 7 year old is a manchild?
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 19:42
This is one of those games I react to much like I react to JRPGs.

I know it's loved by a lot of people - but there's absolutely nothing about it that I find appealing, personally.

I just have to assume it's one of those things you either get or don't get - and I clearly don't.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

January 22nd, 2018, 21:50
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Your 7 year old is a manchild?
dont take that bait!
--
i dont like bioware games

turian

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 22:00
That's some nice sales. Good to see a PC game sell so well. When I like to relax I play Battle Brothers and kill things. Not killing things angers up my blood Maybe I should try Stardew Valley for serenity.

Woden said nay I must slay again.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 22:07
The game is low stress and has a large number of effectively implemented gameplay systems. You can farm, mine, build, craft, engage in the community socially and buy and sell. You can engage in whichever system you want when you want. The four seasons are there to mix up the game play every 7-8 hours or so.
There are so many games that are all combat or all puzzles or whatever, and many of these demand you make quick decisions or don't allow you to quit when you want, few of them give yo so many choices. Don't get me wrong, I like these types of games too, but Stardew Valley sold well not only because its an easy game to play, but because of its variation and its pacing.
I just can't agree more. To me, that was as refreshing as a cold glass of wfresh water on a very hot sunny day.

I'm so much bored of these "manly" combat-driven games these days. I just don't want to be constantly pulled into an Testosterone / Adrenaline bath all of the time.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 22nd, 2018, 22:14
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I just have to assume it's one of those things you either get or don't get - and I clearly don't.
That is because you are a robot.
Squints suspiciously at DArt. Step over here and take this humanity test
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

January 22nd, 2018, 22:18
Quite possibly

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 22:42
okey !
A tremendous a piece of Stardew Valley fascination is the way it summons the sentimentality of Natsume's Harvest Moon.

webroot

Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2018, 23:20
The developer must have done almost all things right. Okay, I have to check this game out.

mercy

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

January 23rd, 2018, 01:05
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
take this humanity test
Bad test.

--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Stardew Valley - Has Sold 3.5 Million on PC