RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2017 - Most Promising RPG

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Following the results of the Best RPG of 2017 we now bring you the games our voters and editors feel are the most promising, and we probably look forward to most, in 2018. Check it out here.

More information.

Here are the results....

I can live with that, its basically how I voted my top 4

I'm completely burned out on blobbers, so Bard's Tale IV would need to be really fantastic to make me want to play it. But I am looking forward to the first two, and hopefully something else will come along.

I admit I struggle like crazy to find passion for POE. Its just not there. Regardless of how much I support what they are doing. Its just missing... something...

I agree. really didn't enjoy it; though I did like whitemarch a lot better than the base game. Oh well we shall see what becomes of what with the new games. I am a bit surprise by the lack of interest in a few of the other titles by both gamers and editors.

I admit I struggle like crazy to find passion for POE. Its just not there. Regardless of how much I support what they are doing. Its just missing… something…

I can't remember if I voted for Vampyr, but after watching some of their video webseries, I'm awaiting that game more than Kingdom Come now. Deadfire was my #1 and still is.

Also, Trails of Cold Steel II was announced post poll and release in a few weeks. I'm sure a few people around here would have voted for that.

Gamers' Choice and Editors' Third Place: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

…hmmm?

Edit: oh, I see now; confusing at first glance!

Last edited:
I've helped fund 6 of those and am looking forward to the other 4 as well.

2018 is going to be a great year!!!! :biggrin:

Assuming they all come out this year.....

Hard to believe PoE 2 would be #1 after the disappointment that was PoE 1.

Editors' Choices seem much smarter ;)

I think I voted:

1. PoE 2
2. Kingdom come deliverance
3. Underworld ascendant.

I actually forgot that upcoming Pathfinder game, so I'm just really happy that it was noticed by other watchers! As for the Bard's tale sequel, well blobbers don't excite me that much.

My top choice was Avernum III, but Pillars was second.
I'm not sure about the Bards Tale. I like me some blobber but the talking head party members were a bit off-putting in the last video I saw. Could be good though.
I'm hoping that and the other games I'm currently neutral about (like underworld) turn out to be awesome. 2018 definitely has the potential to be a great year for RPGs.

Greedfall is the one I'm looking forward to but I'm not surprised it didn't make the list. Games made by Spiders Studios are something of an acquired taste.

I can't remember excatly how I voted but it might very well have been the same top 3 in my list. It's difficult to say because the whole top 10 list includes a number of games that I rate pretty much on the same level.

Lots to look forward to this year.:)

Bard's Tale IV for me, I have been waiting like forever... Then Underworld Ascendant, I want the classic games back - just with updated graphics and interfaces.

I'm excited for the upcoming year. Though none of these games has me as excited as Knights of the Chalice 2. If it ever gets released.

I spent a lot of time with the Bard Tale games in the 80's so I have high hopes for the new one.

If it actually gets released this year, Mount and Blade 2 will most likely be my favorite. Loved the first one.

Bards Tale four is my biggest hope for this year. I'd gladly replace that with Knights of the Chalice two, except the latter seems more vapourware than anything else, at least at this point.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is my top anticipated game, followed by Bard's Tale IV

Hard to believe PoE 2 would be #1 after the disappointment that was PoE 1.

Editors' Choices seem much smarter ;)

To me the PoE nay-sayers are a noisy minority. Not everybody agrees with you that PoE was a disappointment; quite the opposite in fact. Even the Editors had it at #3, rather than off the list entirely. I'm rather looking forward to PoE2, particularly with all the enhancements and lessons learned.

If you can look past the wannabe D&D mechanics, chaotic combat, and horrible launch issues, PoE 1 was indeed a wonderful game. I enjoyed it a heckuva lot more than D:OS2 - but only w/ the expansions and a year of patches.

So, PoE 2 is definitely my #1 for 2018 (although Bard's Tale holds promise if inXile don't suck the life out of it).

Back
Top Bottom