• Somewhat excited

Votes: 39 41.1%
  • Oh yes!

Votes: 31 32.6%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Are you excited about what new games will come to us in 2018? Assuming we actually know for certain what games will be released obviously.

I think there is a healthy variety of games coming which is sure to interest most of us.

Games like Battletech, Copper Dreams, Phoenix Point and Pathfinder: Kingmaker have me very interested.

Besides those there are a whole lot of action rpgs that also look good like Mount and Blade 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Vampyr off the top of my head.

These are the games I don't expect to release this year but I'm still curious about
-Wasteland 3, System Shock Reboot and Underworld Ascendant.

There are no games that make me tippy tap in expectation like there were for 2017, but there's a healthy amount of games I want to play.

I voted somewhat. First we have to see what games actually come out in 2018. The schedule of games look good for 2018. This month I have hope for Kingdom Come.

I'm more excited about that one under the radar game or mod that always seems to sneak up on me. Battle Brothers was the game last year.

The MMO I have high hopes for is Pantheon but I don't see it being released this year. Would love to play a game like EQ again. Thank God for single player crpg's because the MMO market has been awful the last 10 years.

Since I prefer single-character games, I'm not jazzed on 2018. There's not a whole lot coming out that is open-world and single character. I'll probably stay on my Survival kick for 2018. RPGs can wait another year or two. TES will come out eventually.

Since I prefer single-character games, I'm not jazzed on 2018. There's not a whole lot coming out that is open-world and single character. I'll probably stay on my Survival kick for 2018. RPGs can wait another year or two. TES will come out eventually.

What survival game would you recommend? I'm thinking of trying one.

I'm excited. The games i have been waiting for the longest are going to be released this year. The main one being Kingdom Come. Between last year and this year, there has been a good run of really good RPG's.

I'm feeling depressed so can't be excited about anything currently.

819028-grouchy_large.jpg

Sorry to hear that, Joxer. Might be the time of the year, mate. I'm definitely in a bit of a funk.

As for the games, the big hope for me is the potential of Kingmaker, though I'm keeping expectations in check. When I heard about it, I looked into some of the source books, and though the rule system is solid, the materials on the world and the history didn't do it for me at all. The world is kind of broken up into distinct regions that serve every part of the fantasy market, in a fairly cheesy way

With the NHL trying to shake down the IOC for insurance money, this year's olympics don't seem at all interesting.

Except ski jumping - that's always great entertainment.

I really enjoy The Long Dark. There are several modes of play for this one. The basic survival game, where you just try to live as long as possible. Challenge mode, where you have to accomplish certain goals. Finally, there is Story mode which has you play Will McKenzie. Will is a bush pilot who crashes his plane while carrying his estranged wife, who is a doctor. This version is not yet complete. You can play the first two chapters, which will probably take around 40 hours or so.

Subnautica is the other game most recommended, but I haven't tackled that one yet. I've played Salt instead, which was a lot of fun too.

Of course, if you want to mix zombies in with survival, then you can't go wrong with 7 Days to Die.

The Forest is survival vs cannibals. They've taken your son and he was alive when they took him. Will they just kill/eat him or will they fatten him up for a while?!

Lots of good choices. TLD has some role playing elements where you can pick feats, but you must have finished a few survival games to unlock said feats.

The big negative with most indie survival games; maybe all of them, is that they're not completely finished. In most cases, the devs are still pretty active. In a few cases, they just dropped it after a couple years in early access.

I have to say I'm super excited for Battletech and Kingmaker. Let's hope they can deliver and I'm set for 2018.

There will also be many cool small indiegames, so I'm not worried I will get on top of my backlog.

I've been playing Conan Exiles, I love the crafting, building and combat, I particularly enjoy kidnapping and training thralls to fight for you and to train ones with particular skills to enhance your equipment. Its not for everyone (read steam reviews) but I am really enjoying it, I have only played single player and PVE mode so can't comment on PVP.

I've been playing Conan Exiles, I love the crafting, building and combat, I particularly enjoy kidnapping and training thralls to fight for you and to train ones with particular skills to enhance your equipment. Its not for everyone (read steam reviews) but I am really enjoying it, I have only played single player and PVE mode so can't comment on PVP.

I have tried this one when it was out but I felt a bit underwhelmed by the content at least in Single player. Did they go on developing the game since then?

I really enjoy The Long Dark. There are several modes of play for this one. The basic survival game, where you just try to live as long as possible. Challenge mode, where you have to accomplish certain goals. Finally, there is Story mode which has you play Will McKenzie. Will is a bush pilot who crashes his plane while carrying his estranged wife, who is a doctor. This version is not yet complete. You can play the first two chapters, which will probably take around 40 hours or so.

Subnautica is the other game most recommended, but I haven't tackled that one yet. I've played Salt instead, which was a lot of fun too.

Of course, if you want to mix zombies in with survival, then you can't go wrong with 7 Days to Die.

The Forest is survival vs cannibals. They've taken your son and he was alive when they took him. Will they just kill/eat him or will they fatten him up for a while?!

Lots of good choices. TLD has some role playing elements where you can pick feats, but you must have finished a few survival games to unlock said feats.

The big negative with most indie survival games; maybe all of them, is that they're not completely finished. In most cases, the devs are still pretty active. In a few cases, they just dropped it after a couple years in early access.

Thank you, I am not into zombie myself, but I will certainly try Salt.

On regard of what you said about the games not finished this is why I have mentioned Subnautica. The game is now finished and out of EA and it is a joy to play. I have a very good equipment available I could craft and I am not going below 500m without checking around like a mouse in a cat den.

I have tried this one when it was out but I felt a bit underwhelmed by the content at least in Single player. Did they go on developing the game since then?

I never played it when it was first released due to it being in early access and the neg reviews it was getting, but have kept an eye on it and felt the time was right after reading some positive reviews, there are still bugs, glitches and crashes but it is still in EA. The Devs are always active and its due to be fully released in May, they are promising to have it bug free by April as they are writing the disc versions and they have to be perfect for release.
From what i've read and the in-game conversations there seems to be a far bit of content and story, every time I venture out of my base I discover new places, tribes and animals, not sure how far I will get single player as I think there are some areas that will need to be co-op. overall enjoying it.

Thanks for the suggestions on survival games. There seems to be something for everyone. The Long Dark and Subnautica both look good. I love Conan so I will be looking at that in May.

Back
Top Bottom