|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - 2 Titles before Elder Scrolls 6

Default Bethesda Softworks - 2 Titles before Elder Scrolls 6

February 9th, 2018, 13:17
Gamerant reported on a question put to Pete Hines about when to expect the next Elder Scrolls title.

Responding to questions about the release date of the next Elder Scrolls title, Pete Hines, the vice president of Bethesda Softworks, has reconfirmed that the studio’s development team has two major games planned before the release of the Elder Scrolls 6.

Hines first stated as much during an interview at E3 in June of last year, when he was asked by the interviewer about Bethesda’s plans for the Elder Scrolls series. He responded to the question by stating that the next Elder Scrolls was not yet in development, as Bethesda had two major titles in development that would release before the studio set to work on the next entry in the Elder Scrolls series.
[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 13:28
Dammit. I was hoping for a surprise release sometime in the not too distant future - judging by this article that's very unlikely.

I guess one of the two upcoming games is Starfield, although I've not seen any information about that project in ages.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 14:06
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I guess one of the two upcoming games is Starfield, although I've not seen any information about that project in ages.
I thought Starfield was just a red herring. Is there any evidence the game is actually being made?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 14:09
Yeah I'm not sure to be honest. I remember the name knocking around, but I don't remember seeing any updates in ages.

Pongo

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 14:40
All we have about Starfield is Bethesda trademarking the name for video games.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

February 9th, 2018, 14:59
Whatever starfield is the second title is most definetly ESO2.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 15:23
Bethesda didn't work on the first ESO, why would they work on the 2nd? Well, unless you meant as a publisher. That would work. I find it best to just ignore Bethesda until they release a TES/Fallout game. The rest of their stuff is meaningless.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 16:44
Not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to let a series grow fallow for a while then come back to it with fresh eyes.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+1:

February 9th, 2018, 16:53
…and a fresh engine.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 17:31
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Whatever starfield is the second title is most definetly ESO2.
Unless you have a reference, I doubt that. Why would they do that - competing against themselves?

Yes, there are Everquest 1 and 2, but other than that I haven't seen any (many?) ver. 2's of MMO's.

pibbur who is sure that there are watchers who may correct him if he's wrong.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 17:54
Originally Posted by ripper View Post
…and a fresh engine.
this!
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 18:05
That'll be Lootout 5 and Starfield MTX : The Disclaimer Void…

fatknacker50

Sentinel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 18:08
Whatever…
If they keep going the same direction in their games like Fallout 4, forget about it.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 18:24
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Whatever…
If they keep going the same direction in their games like Fallout 4, forget about it.
Yep, FO4 was the first FO game I didn't finish. Just lost interest…I enjoyed Skyrim to a point, but the loss of mechanical depth like spell crafting, stats merging etc put me off. I guess it will only get worse, but I live in hope.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 19:08
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Bethesda didn't work on the first ESO, why would they work on the 2nd? Well, unless you meant as a publisher. That would work. I find it best to just ignore Bethesda until they release a TES/Fallout game. The rest of their stuff is meaningless.
You mean the stuff they publish? For my money, FO4 wasn't a promising sign re. Bethesda's RPG development, but they're one of the best publishers in the industry right now. They have a stable of AAA titles with incredible potential - arguably the best "immersive sim" (Prey), the best pure shooter (Doom), the best story-driven shooter (Wolfenstein), and one of the best survival horror games (Evil Within). I've been strongly critical of Bethesda for years, but I'm really impressed with the quality and selectivity of their publishing.

suibhne

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 19:50
Originally Posted by suibhne View Post
You mean the stuff they publish? For my money, FO4 wasn't a promising sign re. Bethesda's RPG development, but they're one of the best publishers in the industry right now. They have a stable of AAA titles with incredible potential - arguably the best "immersive sim" (Prey), the best pure shooter (Doom), the best story-driven shooter (Wolfenstein), and one of the best survival horror games (Evil Within). I've been strongly critical of Bethesda for years, but I'm really impressed with the quality and selectivity of their publishing.
I think you have a good point. We don't have to love everything they produce, but they do at least create "whole" games in the traditional style. Prey is a good example - it is essentially the sort of game I want to see made. Not necessarily in the details, but in its nature.

The Evil Within is not a very compelling franchise, IMO, but if they happened to have a better survival horror IP, like Dead Space, I think they would actually be making the sort of sequels we might hope to see.

Even in their attempts to further monetise their games (which seems an inescapable part of the industry now), I find the Creation Club to be a far lesser evil than other implementations of microtransactions. They're far from perfect, but I'd much rather deal with them than many of the big publishers.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
+1:

February 9th, 2018, 20:01
Originally Posted by suibhne View Post
Right, Bethesda as a developer I ignore unless it is TES/Fallout. As a publisher, they seem to have a pretty nice stable of developers.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

February 9th, 2018, 22:01
This is good news for those guys who are converting Morrowind and Oblivion to Skyrim engine. They still have time to release them before the next TeS title release.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 22:21
They are waiting for the ESO milking to run dry.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

February 9th, 2018, 22:33
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I think you have a good point. We don't have to love everything they produce, but they do at least create "whole" games in the traditional style. Prey is a good example - it is essentially the sort of game I want to see made. Not necessarily in the details, but in its nature.
Should Bethesda, as the publisher, get credit for creating Prey though? Same with Wolfenstein, Doom, etc.

I guess they played a part by funding(?) those titles, but I don't think any devs from Bethesda actually worked on them.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - 2 Titles before Elder Scrolls 6