|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingdom Come - Review Roundup

Default Kingdom Come - Review Roundup

February 13th, 2018, 14:31
Kingdom Come: Deliverance has been released and the reviews have started coming out.

GameWatcher 8 / 10.0

Hardcore Gamer 3.5 / 5.0

PCGamer - 84%

PCGamesN - Review in Progress

GameSpew 90%

GameRevolution - 4.5/5
More information.
Last edited by Silver; February 17th, 2018 at 05:53.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

February 13th, 2018, 19:07
So apparently the take-away is it is a bug-fest atm. I'm in no hurry with this one, so I'm happy to wait another 6 to 12 months before I take a stab.

Also, the save system seems to be very annoying. Not that I have anything against making your decisions meaningful and counter save-scumming, but nowadays I need a quicksave button because I rarely can afford to play as long as I want to.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 13th, 2018, 19:43
One of the more popular youtube game reviewers also didn't really like this game. I thought his review was pretty in-depth. If you are excited about the game, then definitely don't watch this video…he points out numerous issues, some minor, and some major, with the game. Lots of little annoying issues and bugs and one of the major issues is a huge turn-off, at least for me. (near empty, static type gameworld)

video link (youtube) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZfoz7UVr0
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

February 13th, 2018, 21:00
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
So apparently the take-away is it is a bug-fest atm. I'm in no hurry with this one, so I'm happy to wait another 6 to 12 months before I take a stab.

Also, the save system seems to be very annoying. Not that I have anything against making your decisions meaningful and counter save-scumming, but nowadays I need a quicksave button because I rarely can afford to play as long as I want to.
There is already mod to make saving possible without limits

Ah, PC gaming.

Paul

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

February 13th, 2018, 21:06
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
near empty, static type gameworld
Nooooo!
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

February 13th, 2018, 21:15
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Nooooo!
My thoughts precisely…
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

zahratustra

SasqWatch

February 13th, 2018, 21:35
This looking a bit half-baked. They took on more than they could deal with, I'd say.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
+1:

February 13th, 2018, 21:45
Yeah, looks to me that they've spent most of the time and effort on making the game look gorgeous and on the combat system.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

zahratustra

SasqWatch

February 14th, 2018, 00:24
I don’t know looks real promising to me. Needs patching though
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

February 14th, 2018, 00:50
It looks to me like one of those games where the release day is really the beginning of the unofficial beta. I think the 20gb day-one patch says quite a lot about the actual state of development. I hope it does well enough that they can continue working on it, and maybe it will become a significantly better game.

EDIT: I think what's causing a lot of bad blood, is the combination of releasing with significant technical issues that break quests and crash the game, and having a highly restricted save system. I think that was a very bad move.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Last edited by Ripper; February 14th, 2018 at 01:05.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

February 14th, 2018, 01:21
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I think the 20gb day-one patch says quite a lot about the actual state of development.
Actually, that patch size is because the CryEngine is crap when it comes to updating files. Changing a single file in a .pak means having to update and re-download the .pak in the patch. The game has 14 .pak larger than 1gb (some near 2gb) and only 3 under 200mb…
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 14th, 2018, 02:11
Yeah - bit off more than they can chew, at least initially. No biggy to me, as long as they take the time to fix them. And, given that the pre-order was topping the sales chart on Steam even world-wide, I expect they will.

P.S. Interesting article on PC Gamer about the size of game files: https://www.pcgamer.com/how-game-siz…t-even-bigger/
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2018, 02:22
The development information always looked like it was a tech demo more than anything else.

I am looking for a little more gameplay and story.

Does look beautiful though!

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

February 14th, 2018, 03:20
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Actually, that patch size is because the CryEngine is crap when it comes to updating files. Changing a single file in a .pak means having to update and re-download the .pak in the patch. The game has 14 .pak larger than 1gb (some near 2gb) and only 3 under 200mb…
Updating entire paks unnecessarily may well be part of the problem, but I don't believe this is the fault of Cryengine, and nor is it insurmountable. Almost every game engine uses archives of some type, and it's absolutely possible to delta patch them. Pak files are just zip archives, and I doubt very much they are impossible to patch in this way.

Patching can be a tricky business, and studios often have to build tools to do it efficiently. The crude and hugely inefficient method they are using here is, IMO, testament to one more thing they haven't yet got in order.
--

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

February 14th, 2018, 04:22
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Updating entire paks unnecessarily may well be part of the problem, but I don't believe this is the fault of Cryengine, and nor is it insurmountable. Almost every game engine uses archives of some type, and it's absolutely possible to delta patch them. Pak files are just zip archives, and I doubt very much they are impossible to patch in this way.

Patching can be a tricky business, and studios often have to build tools to do it efficiently. The crude and hugely inefficient method they are using here is, IMO, testament to one more thing they haven't yet got in order.
Star Citizen had the same issue (dev's explanation). Took them until 3.0 and rewriting most of the CryEngine (+ ditching it for Lumberyard) to get delta patching in and that is using their own application to download updates and launch the game. Steam and GOG have their own limitations in regard to changed files on top of that.
--
Mission Impossible: clean that overgrown backlog. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 14th, 2018, 05:50
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Star Citizen had the same issue (dev's explanation). Took them until 3.0 and rewriting most of the CryEngine (+ ditching it for Lumberyard) to get delta patching in and that is using their own application to download updates and launch the game. Steam and GOG have their own limitations in regard to changed files on top of that.
There's a few things to bear in mind, though, and I don't think we can conclude it's the same issue.

Firstly, it appears that Star Citizen was attempting to create some sort of torrent-based updating scheme, and that may have all sorts of implications for the way they needed to structure their archives. I don't think we can conclude from that enterprise that Cryengine itself is uniquely problematic in using PAK archives. Unreal and Unity use them too. It is true that if you insist on using encryption and compression at the archive level (which perhaps RSI does), you make it impossible to delta patch straightforwardly, but that would be true of any engine. That's why Steam tells you not to do it when you upload a game to their platform. If you upload paks as straightforward archives, Steam has no problem delta patching them in a reasonably efficient way, using its own chunking delta system.

Then the guy from Deepsilver has this to say about the massive Kingdom Come patch:

“So, let me stop the rumor mill dead in its tracks before everyone continues jumping to conclusions. The way that I’ve been told that the engine works, is it takes the entire game and separates the PKG or ISO into 2GB archives. If during a patch you so much as alter a 1KB text file within any of these 2GB archives, then you need to reupload the ENTIRE 2GB portion. That beings said, this is a major patch that improves overarching mechanics throughout the game, so it touches almost all of these 2GB archives in the entire game build. Essentially you are having to redownload the game to replace the existing files. It shouldn’t stack them and inflate on your harddrive, but rather replace the previously downloaded build files.
This is nonsense, and the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. "The way the engine works" does not "separate the PKG or ISO into 2GB archives." The devs must decide how to efficiently package assets into PAK archives in a sane way, organised into different types of data, at whatever sizes make most sense. That's how every modern engine works.

IMO, if you're pushing a 20gb patch, one of two things is true - either you've actually made huge changes right across the game, or you've made a mess of the way you've packaged up your assets. I don’t buy the idea of blaming Cryengine at all.
--
Last edited by Ripper; February 14th, 2018 at 06:00.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

February 14th, 2018, 06:27
Really hope it's not an empty world…i.mean this thing was in development what 4+ years? What the heck did they spend all that time on? From looking at the map the world doesn't look that big so I was expecting a quite detailed interesting world to move around in.

Saxon1974

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

February 14th, 2018, 07:18
Originally Posted by Saxon1974 View Post
Really hope it's not an empty world…i.mean this thing was in development what 4+ years? What the heck did they spend all that time on? From looking at the map the world doesn't look that big so I was expecting a quite detailed interesting world to move around in.
The complaints about "empty" world come from people who are used to encountering bandits and dungeons every 30 meters like in Skyrim. Here the world uses much more realistic scale, it is not empty, it just uses different design philosophy than bethesda games.

Paul

Sentinel

February 14th, 2018, 07:50
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Here the world uses much more realistic scale, it is not empty, it just uses different design philosophy than bethesda games.
That sounds encouraging.
I'm a backer, so I'll give it a try myself anyway after a few patches.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

February 14th, 2018, 09:34
It's certainly going to get points for the Landscape Screenshot Factor. A lot of my friends on Steam are posting screenshots.

The forested area I saw looked really nice. Too bad there wouldn't be some Forest Troll or something jumping out at you, though.

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Kingdom Come - Review Roundup