Call of Cthulhu - Main Path Will Take 12-15 Hours

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
@Wccftech Call of Cthulhu's main path will take 12-15 hours.

Cyanide’s Romain Wiart, Lead Level Designer on Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game, was interviewed in the latest Official PlayStation Magazine UK (March 2018, issue 146). He described the in-game sanity mechanic and how it feeds into the game’s length while adding that the main path should take between twelve and fifteen hours to complete.

"It’s very simple. As in the novel or in the pen-and-paper RPG, your sanity will go down, so this will be the case in the game. So, the only control you have over it is a little gap of ‘sanity’. The better you manage it by making the right choices, the higher your sanity will be, you will remain in control of your will at the end of the game, so it will mainly affect the ending, whether you will have some choices or not and whether you will experience things or not. That’s how it works. At the end of the game you have several endings, but if your insanity grows you have less endings, less options because your character can’t make rational choices.

[...]
More information.

I guess some people will enjoy that. But not me. I'd rather play a character who keeps their wits about them.

I guess some people will enjoy that. But not me. I'd rather play a character who keeps their wits about them.

That's a key attribute to the PnP game, RJ. Its part of the whole experience of playing it, knowing full well you are massively underpowered the whole game, with no leveling up and anything you gain typically comes with severe consequences - starting with your sanity.

Its just best if you didn't know...

I guess some people will enjoy that. But not me.
Me neither.

I'd rather play a character who keeps their wits about them.
I'd rather play a game not IGNcriticscentered. A game where they can't finish the main story in half an hour.

How is the insanity score here handled differently from CoC: DCotE? It's been ages since I played, but I remember sanity (or lack thereof) adding to the immersion (although I think sanity loss was only temporary).
Having played the PnP version of CoC, sanity is something you have to worry about constantly, so if this game is a direct adaptation of the rules, then that's probably fine (I enjoyed those sessions). It was cool to sacrifice your sanity for terrible arcane powers and go bat-shit crazy (although perhaps not as cool for your ex-party members that you vaporized etc)

But 12-15 hours sounds very short :-/

It's being described as a "survival-horror RPG". 12-15 hours is probably around average for most games in the survival horror genre. If they're able to maintain a high level of intensity throughout the experience, I'll be satisfied.

Average and most, sure. How about calling those practically intros what they really are: forgettable maneywaste.

See, I don't remember Clive Barker's Undying lasting only a dozen of hours.

It's being described as a "survival-horror RPG". 12-15 hours is probably around average for most games in the survival horror genre. If they're able to maintain a high level of intensity throughout the experience, I'll be satisfied.

I agree. I assume that 12-15 is for pretty quick run through the game + cutscenes etc. But its mainly exploration and investigation game so many ppl will play much longer if you will carefully explore and use skills etc.

There will be also different solutions to tasks and maybe also few side quests.

And there is solid number of non-combat skills (investigation, lock picking, forensic, nose for hidden things etc.) compared to other modern RPGs that have mostly combat skills. See skills at 2:34 in this video…
https://youtu.be/dcIL-2Kq64U?t=2m34s

Back
Top Bottom