|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Warhammer 40K: Gladius - Reviews

Default Warhammer 40K: Gladius - Reviews

July 10th, 2018, 05:40
GameWatcher and Wccftech have reviewed 4x strategy game Warhammer 40K: Gladius.

Over the course of the years, more Warhammer 40,000 games that we can count have been released on PC and consoles, each one offering a different take on the world created by Games Workshop. Among the many strategy games based on the franchise, none are 4X strategy games, and it was up to developer Proxy Studios to release the first one, Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War. The team managed to deliver a solid title that can satisfy both Warhammer 40,000 and 4X strategy games fans.

[…]
[…]

A strategy title in the molds of Sid Meier’s Civilization, the game takes place in the original world of Gladius Prime, where Space Marines, Imperial Guards, Orks, and Necrons battle each other and the world’s wildlife in a bid to dominate the planet. The factions themselves are quite distinct and asymmetrical, possessing unique buildings, units, and technologies. Space Marines, for example, can only have a single city in the form of a Fortress-Chapel dropped from orbit, while Necrons must colonise Necron Ruins and Guardsmen can settle just about anywhere. It creates for an interesting mix of mechanics that fosters replayability and experimentation.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 08:22
I have a really hard time imagining a WH40K game with a Civ-like structure.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 08:25
as expected, another crap game from slitherine.

1 good, 9 misses.

CRD

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 08:43
It looks and plays like a re-skinned Pandora: First Contact, and that game was inspired by Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. So I might buy this on a a sale someday.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/2…First_Contact/

Yep same publisher Slitherine Ltd and developer Proxy Studios.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/4…Relics_of_War/
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 08:44
It definitely needs to be better than Pandora for me to be interested.

But let me know if it's any good!

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 18:37
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It looks and plays like a re-skinned Pandora: First Contact, and that game was inspired by Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. So I might buy this on a a sale someday.
There was a post on the steam forums I think about this that I read some days ago, comparing gameplay mechanics between Pandora and this - and it illustrated quite nicely that this game seems actually very different in quite few respects. Whether that's good or bad is yet to be seen but I thought Pandora was only ok with some rough edges, so hoping they can improve things overall.

My one personal misgiving is that this game is entirely combat-focused for victories. There are no other paths to victory in it and it has no diplomacy of any kind. Still, that might not be an issue if the combat is really good…

SSIGuy

An Islander Returned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 04:50
Originally Posted by SSIGuy View Post
There was a post on the steam forums I think about this that I read some days ago, comparing gameplay mechanics between Pandora and this - and it illustrated quite nicely that this game seems actually very different in quite few respects. Whether that's good or bad is yet to be seen but I thought Pandora was only ok with some rough edges, so hoping they can improve things overall.
Good I was worried because both games looked the same, and might have other similarities. So if this game ever goes on sale for under $25 instead of $40 I might buy it.
Originally Posted by SSIGuy View Post
My one personal misgiving is that this game is entirely combat-focused for victories. There are no other paths to victory in it and it has no diplomacy of any kind. Still, that might not be an issue if the combat is really good…
Makes sense as each faction in Warhammer 40K basically hate each other especially the terrans who hate all XENOS. Though in the fantasy version they interact more diplomatic.
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Warhammer 40K: Gladius - Reviews