|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hero-U - Released

Default Hero-U - Released

July 10th, 2018, 21:25
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is now available on Steam and GOG:

Game Keys Coming Soon

We have a slight delay in providing game keys to non-Beta (under $50) backers for a few reasons:

• I'm giving people more time to answer the Steam vs. GOG key survey
  • We're waiting for Valve to give the final game build their stamp of approval
  • I came up about 300 Steam keys short, waiting for more keys
  • The keys won't work until Valve approves the build anyway
Please have patience. I expect I can send the keys out tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest. But it isn't currently under my control.

Beta backers - You already have a Steam key. The game has been updated to the launch version. I plan to provide GOG keys to upper-tier ("Alpha") backers, and on request to any Beta backer. I wasn't able to survey you because I sent out surveys in 2013. Send email to support at hero-u dot net if you want a GOG key and already have a Steam beta key.

You should receive an email notification from BackerKit when your game key is assigned. Then you can go to https://hero-u-adventure-role-playin…igital_rewards to download all of your digital content.

Currently this consists of either a Steam or a GOG.com key, the technical manual, and the student handbook. If you remember the added booklet in each Quest for Glory game, the student handbook is that sort of fun, but also useful, document. It contains maps of the school, information about the professors and staff, and silly stuff.

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 21:25
https://steamcommunity.com/app/37544…1877526470525/
This is probably the only game made in the last 10 years with instant gameovers (including by choosing a wrong dialog option) and no autosave.
wtf.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
+1:

July 10th, 2018, 22:11
Are people too lazy to save the game themselves?

DarNoor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 22:22
Been playing it for a few hours. It's good but like I suspected I don't care for the time constraints. I don't feel like exploring and checking stuff because of the limited time between activities.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 22:46
Originally Posted by DarNoor View Post
Are people too lazy to save the game themselves?
Simple answer yes it's called the convenience factor. Just like how remote controls became part of TV usage. People always become lazy given an easier option.
--
"Proud to Be a Small Minded Poorly Educated Republican. Trump 2020."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Trumpy Bear

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 23:08
That is hilarious. I mean, it takes, what, ten seconds tops to save a game? Digging ditches is difficult work, game saving not so much.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 23:17
Don't be lame. Find something legit to whine about.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
https://steamcommunity.com/app/37544…1877526470525/

wtf.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

July 10th, 2018, 23:37
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
limited time between activities.
Can you please explain it more precisely? I want to buy it, but now I'm confused.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 10th, 2018, 23:48
Can you please explain it more precisely? I want to buy it, but now I'm confused.
Same here: If a game doesn't let me explore because of time constraints it goes out the window (or off the wishlist).

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 00:52
Each day is on a timer. You wont have time to do everything on any given day.

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic

July 11th, 2018, 01:05
What's the penalty if the timer expires ?

Originally Posted by Silver Coin View Post
Each day is on a timer. You wont have time to do everything on any given day.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 01:48
Originally Posted by you View Post
What's the penalty if the timer expires ?
Only penalty for me so far is oversleeping if staying out too late which affects others perception of you. If you get hurt by drats etc, as in they knock all my health off, I get a picture of being sent to the paladin healer and then I am back in my room hours later. If it is past 12am when you go to sleep you will be yawning in class.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

July 11th, 2018, 01:53
Standard day:
You participate in class - after it is 2pm.

you have between 2pm and 5pm to do training or whatever you want. At 5pm the dinner bell will sound (but if the clock hits 6pm and you are not there you will be sent there automatically)

After dinner you can do certain dangerous activities. Curfew is 10pm and you will want to watch out for a certain teacher prowling the halls. If staying out past 12am it will affect your tiredness levels.

*Tiredness has not been a big factor for me at all so far but we will see.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 02:23
Thanks !

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Only penalty for me so far is oversleeping if staying out too late which affects others perception of you. If you get hurt by drats etc, as in they knock all my health off, I get a picture of being sent to the paladin healer and then I am back in my room hours later. If it is past 12am when you go to sleep you will be yawning in class.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 03:14
Sounds fun! Thank You all for the tasty infobits. Waiting for patches however.

mercy

SasqWatch

July 11th, 2018, 08:34
Last update said there will be a patch soon for minor stuff like typos but it sounds like they did a good job q/a

Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Sounds fun! Thank You all for the tasty infobits. Waiting for patches however.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 14:45
I understand people want to be able to explore without any time pressure, but time management is an important part of the game design. It is not designed to let you do everything in a single play-through. There are schedules and events for both you and the other characters, and you can't be everywhere at once. You choose your path through the game, and then you replay it making different decisions. I personally really like this design.

I am really happy to see how well this game turned out. It may have been made on a tight budget, but the developers delivered something which is ambitious and unique, and in my opinion, deeply enjoyable. As far as I am concerned, this is a worthy successor to the Quest For Glory series.

KayAU

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 15:00
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Standard day:
You participate in class - after it is 2pm.

you have between 2pm and 5pm to do training or whatever you want. At 5pm the dinner bell will sound (but if the clock hits 6pm and you are not there you will be sent there automatically)

After dinner you can do certain dangerous activities. Curfew is 10pm and you will want to watch out for a certain teacher prowling the halls. If staying out past 12am it will affect your tiredness levels.

*Tiredness has not been a big factor for me at all so far but we will see.
Thanks for this, if I understood it correctly it's a sort of mix between ToCS socializing system and Stardew Valley passing out.

Sounds good, will definetly buy it later and play immediately.
And criticize everything.
Originally Posted by KayAU View Post
It is not designed to let you do everything in a single play-through.
Perhaps. But perhaps there is a "puzzle solution" that makes it possible. Can't wait to check it myself, because apparently:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/37544…07382032322987
There are several days during the game when you are free do to as you choose all day long except for supper and bedtime. The breaks allow you to kind of "catch up" on things as you need or want to. This last playthrough, I had finished all the quests about 5 days before endgame and my stats were nearly up to 100% on all skills, so it can be done.
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; July 11th, 2018 at 15:37.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 15:52
Originally Posted by KayAU View Post
I understand people want to be able to explore without any time pressure, but time management is an important part of the game design. It is not designed to let you do everything in a single play-through. There are schedules and events for both you and the other characters, and you can't be everywhere at once. You choose your path through the game, and then you replay it making different decisions. I personally really like this design.

I am really happy to see how well this game turned out. It may have been made on a tight budget, but the developers delivered something which is ambitious and unique, and in my opinion, deeply enjoyable. As far as I am concerned, this is a worthy successor to the Quest For Glory series.
That's a problem for people like me who don't replay games. What the game doesn't show me in one playthrough is lost, so that's why I like to do everything I can and see everything there is to see in the game without time constraints.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

July 11th, 2018, 16:23
Pretty nice of them to give backers both a functional good old games and steam key. That alone is a big plus in my book, I look forward to checking this one out in a few more weeks or months.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hero-U - Released