|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shining Resonance Refrain - Released

Default Shining Resonance Refrain - Released

July 11th, 2018, 09:27
Shining Resonance Refrain has been released onto Steam to positive reviews.

loading…

ABOUT THIS GAME

Play as Yuma Ilvern and stop the Empire from exploiting the power of the ancient dragons, including the soul of the Shining Dragon within you. With the help of your friends, realize your destiny, save Astoria, and unleash the strength you've always had locked away.

In the original game, previously released only in Japan, Imperial Princess Excella was an unplayable character, but in the new "Refrain Mode" in Shining Resonance Refrain, both she and Dragonslayer Jinas can be added as party members for a new experience - just be sure to save this for your second playthrough to avoid any spoilers! As an added bonus, all of the extra cosmetic items and side quests are included in this remaster.

Dragons were long thought to be extinct, and because Yuma holds the ability to transform into the Shining Dragon, he was taken as a captive of the Empire. With the help of the Dragoneers, Sonia, princess of Astoria, pleads with Yuma to aid them in their fight to save their land from the Empire's dominion. Typically timid, will Yuma find the courage to realize the strength he has within him?
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 10:44
Anyone played it? Any comments on gameplay and story ?
-
anyway fanatical has it for $10 off (39.99 instead of 49.99).

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 14:24
Pisspoor graphics with mindless combat and easy trashmobs with bosses you need to grind2win.

But also with harem/reverseharem oriented affection system, omg, hooray! I'm buying definetly. Just not at that price.
I mean, 50€? It looks far worse than Yakuza 0 where the port comes at half of that sum and even if it looked better, SRR is a grinder. I'm not paying that much for grind-o-rama.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 15:37
I'll Refrain from buying this game, thanks for the heads-up!

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 15:55
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I'll Refrain from buying this game, thanks for the heads-up!
If you base your purchase decisions on joxer's comments your list of games will be shortened considerably to games that have nice hair graphics.

As for this game, I should be receiving it today so I'll see how it is. It's twitch based so it has that against it, but we'll see.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

July 11th, 2018, 16:22
Hearing that this product is twitch based is all it will take to keep me far away from it. Thanks for the warning!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 17:08
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
If you base your purchase decisions on joxer's comments your list of games will be shortened considerably to games that have nice hair graphics.
LOL no.

Anyone who base buying on my comments will considerably shorten list of games with atrocious k+m controls.
And besides, unlike him I'm definetly buying this one. Assuming k+m is acceptable.

Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
It's twitch based so it has that against it, but we'll see.
Well then, you know I can't care less about glorified importance of "gameplay" so in my case the cons is necessity of grind to beat bosses, not the grind "style". But, as I wrote above, there is team building of a sort which, if done well, could mitigate the damage caused by the second job.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

July 11th, 2018, 17:28
I don't mind a fun grind. It is just when the grind is tedious that I yawn.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 18:27
The Shining Force series was a series I enjoyed back in the 90's. (I think 1 & 2 are available on Steam as part of the SEGA classic packs, you'd have to use a Saturn emulator for 3… and a fan translation patch to play all of it).

Unfortunately all the recent Shining games seem more geared towards twitch action and SEGA doesn't appear to have any interest in making a Shining Force 4.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

July 11th, 2018, 20:47
I just finished Shining Force the first yesterday, jumped right into the second game and enjoying them both all over again. Great games and I'm not sure if we'll see their like ever again.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2018, 01:58
0:57 I will not be performing in a B.A.N.D.

LootSeeker

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 2nd, 2018, 15:43
A review from wccftech:
https://www.dsogaming.com/special/re…and-tedious-2/
Imprecise, clunky combat
Moronic, maddening AI
Bad enemy level scaling
So much backtracking
Uninspired level design
Low-polygon, dated visuals
No auto-saving at all
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

August 3rd, 2018, 02:46
I just finished it a week or so ago. Not recommended, so many 'what were they thinking?' game decisions. I didn't feel the combat was imprecise or clunky, but yes, the AI was moronic, your companions would stand idle a few seconds between actions for no apparent reason. As for the backtracking, definitely yes, there is one 'home' (the city) and you'll have to run forth (not back you can teleport back to the city) to every location you need to go to. Visuals were ok, but then I'm not a graphics whore, it looked fine to me. And yes, no autosaving but it's not really an issue, there are save points scattered in the map and you're usually less than a minute away from one.

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

August 3rd, 2018, 03:54
I don't even get the whole autosaving thing myself, I've always used my own system for saving and I'm not certain why anyone would rely on the game to save your progress for you. That is of course assuming it has a free "save wherever you want to", and checkpoints count to me if you can reuse them. I usually run three to five saves at various points in any game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shining Resonance Refrain - Released