|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Monster Hunter: World - Review @ RPG Site

Default Monster Hunter: World - Review @ RPG Site

August 7th, 2018, 20:42
RPG Site checked out the PC version of Monster Hunter: World:

Monster Hunter: World PC Review

Earlier this year Monster Hunter: World hit the PS4 and Xbox One to mass acclaim from critics and fans alike, becoming the highest selling game in Capcom's 40+ year run in the games industry. A PC version was promised from the start, but it didn't materialize into something you could actually play until today.

We reviewed Monster Hunter: World back when the console version launched, all of the game's various systems and gameplay mechanics are already broken down there so it's advised to read that review first. For the PC focused review, we are just looking at the quality of the PC port, so let's take a look at what's under the hood.

[…]

Monster Hunter: World is a staggeringly interesting game, with a breadth of content and plenty complex mechanical options, it's a perfect fit for the PC gaming enthusiasts that like like to lose themselves in a game for months at a time. The port may have come a good tick after the console versions, but the wait was largely worth it. While the slight performance issues and crashing are a disappointment, Capcom has already committed to fixing these problems. If you have been eagerly awaiting this version of the game, don't let some slight technical issues hold yold back from picking it up.

Score: 8/10
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 20:42
"The somewhat aging MT Framework engine still manages to wow at times, especially with the detailed animation work on the monsters as they leap and tumble about during combat."

Umm… I think this "MT Framework" is just a bit of code to distribute CPU load between cores/threads. It's not the game engine. ANYWAY!

This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 20 hours
!!!

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 20:59
I was just looking at this game because a prominent YouTube games reviewer just reviewed it and gave it a good review. No steam reviews are up yet, releasing in a day or so there.

The negative reviews I looked at on Amazon say it is a game that is very repetitive and grindy, and takes a ton of time. The monster fights can sometimes last for 40 minutes plus, apparently.

That said, other people obviously love it, and leave 5 star enthusiastic reviews.

I dunno, but this might be a game you will either love or hate, depending on your personal preferences, play style, and tastes.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 21:47
40-minute boss fights? Good Lord. No, thanks.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 22:02
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
40-minute boss fights? Good Lord. No, thanks.
Yeah, sounds like dragons dogma where bosses would have multiple heath bars and you'd hack on them for what felt like forever.

I'm still on the fence with this game though, which is weird for me. I can usually tell if I'm going to buy a game or not based on very little information.

I hear stuff like repetitive gameplay and 40 min. boss fights and think no. Then I hear stuff like great combat system and DS difficulty and think sure, why not.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 22:24
It's a very well crafted and fun game, but the grind killed me.
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 22:32
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Yeah, sounds like dragons dogma where bosses would have multiple heath bars and you'd hack on them for what felt like forever.

I'm still on the fence with this game though, which is weird for me. I can usually tell if I'm going to buy a game or not based on very little information.

I hear stuff like repetitive gameplay and 40 min. boss fights and think no. Then I hear stuff like great combat system and DS difficulty and think sure, why not.
This makes me remember I still have to finish Dragon's Dogma.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 7th, 2018, 22:33
Yikes, named fights taking forty minutes or so would simply kill the entire game for me. That sounds like the opposite of fun.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 7th, 2018, 22:52
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Yikes, named fights taking forty minutes or so would simply kill the entire game for me. That sounds like the opposite of fun.
How long do you think it should take to kill THIS?!

You know, you can climb on the monsters?

SirJames

SasqWatch

August 7th, 2018, 23:02
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
How long do you think it should take to kill THIS?!

You know, you can climb on the monsters?
Hmm..climb the monsters back and use your giant bastard sword, and shove it in the Brain /Neck. If that fails cast your strongest magic possible & kiss your ass goodbye.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

August 7th, 2018, 23:14
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Hmm..climb the monsters back and use your giant bastard sword, and shove it in the Brain /Neck. If that fails cast your strongest magic possible & kiss your ass goodbye.
I think I heard that it's better to use cutting weapons, like greatswords, on the tail and using blunt weapons, which do more knock-out damage, on the head.

There's no magic, though, but there are lots of ranged weapon options!

SirJames

SasqWatch

August 7th, 2018, 23:32
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I was just looking at this game because a prominent YouTube games reviewer just reviewed it and gave it a good review. No steam reviews are up yet, releasing in a day or so there.

The negative reviews I looked at on Amazon say it is a game that is very repetitive and grindy, and takes a ton of time. The monster fights can sometimes last for 40 minutes plus, apparently.

That said, other people obviously love it, and leave 5 star enthusiastic reviews.

I dunno, but this might be a game you will either love or hate, depending on your personal preferences, play style, and tastes.
If you're talking about ACG's review, he also noted in it that the grind is real. But, he qualified that by saying the game makes the grind payoff.

As for 40 minute boss fights; as I understand it, you are doing more than just trying to kill the thing. You also want to hack bits off for upgrades, etc. Anyway, how long did it take to kill some of the souls bosses? If you count repeated attempts, probably a good while.

Seems like an interesting game, but I'm still holding out for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Hak'n'Slash

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 8th, 2018, 00:19
I can live with an occasional 40 minute boss fight if it is intereesting but it sounds like the pc controls are shit. Most quality fps use the mouse to do more than move the camera but all it does in this foobar implementation is move the camera????????

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

August 8th, 2018, 00:59
Originally Posted by Hak'n'Slash View Post
If you're talking about ACG's review, he also noted in it that the grind is real. But, he qualified that by saying the game makes the grind payoff.

As for 40 minute boss fights; as I understand it, you are doing more than just trying to kill the thing. You also want to hack bits off for upgrades, etc. Anyway, how long did it take to kill some of the souls bosses? If you count repeated attempts, probably a good while.

Seems like an interesting game, but I'm still holding out for Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Yes, that is the youtube review I was referring to.

As for long boss fights, personally I would only be able to deal with it if they had a save anywhere system. If the save system is not able to save at any time in the combat, as it should on the PC, that would be very frustrating to me. I can see scenarios where I almost have the boss monster dead, and then lose just short of the goal. And then have to redo the entire fight? No freakin' way. But that's me.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

August 8th, 2018, 04:17
Forget a sword against a beastie like that, I'd prefer a Tiger tank with current armaments. At least it would be a fairer battle!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 8th, 2018, 05:11
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
I can see scenarios where I almost have the boss monster dead, and then lose just short of the goal. And then have to redo the entire fight?
To be fair, that often seems to happen with me in boss fights, especially in JRPGs. I guess I suck.
I guess it's even worse if you have to deal with the possibility of that routinely in a game.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 8th, 2018, 10:16
40 minutes of single-Boss grinding?

That's even more asian "let's-work-for-the-sake-of-work-and-honor" than I thought

That would be a biiiiiiig no no for me

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 8th, 2018, 10:20
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
40 minutes of single-Boss grinding?

That's even more asian "let's-work-for-the-sake-of-work-and-honor" than I thought

That would be a biiiiiiig no no for me
WoW also has this.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

August 8th, 2018, 10:22
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
WoW also has this.
Yes as optional content.

In this case, the option would seem to be play MHW or don't play MHW

I can play WoW without grinding a single boss for 40 minutes.

Not that I want to, as I'm sick of WoW.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

August 8th, 2018, 11:08
The Gamespot review was a little encouraging.

If the narrative is strong - I might reconsider. Of course, I can't stand JRPG storytelling for the most part, so it would have to be reasonably "Westernized".

I'll need more feedback on that one.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Monster Hunter: World - Review @ RPG Site