RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Shadows Awakening Preview - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Shadows Awakening Preview

Default RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Shadows Awakening Preview

August 30th, 2018, 11:28
Shadows: Awakening was ready for release when it was shown at Gamescom and it will actually be released in one day. Here are my findingds from the presentation.

Shadows Awakening takes place in two realms. The earthly realm (or real world) and the shadows realm. You can switch constantly at any time from one to the other, the character you have in the real world and your shadow demon in the shadows realm. Combat in Shadows Awakening is real-time. Enemies that are in the real world exist also in the shadows realm. However you cannot harm them in the shadows realm, but you can cast spells on them. These spells will not harm them, but the effect will persist in the real world. So if you would cast a spell that stuns an enemy in the shadows realm and switch back that enemy would be stunned in the real world as well and you can easily attack it there. It works also the other way around. If you are caught in a web in the real world, you can switch to the shadows realm and move to a different location there, after which you can switch back to the real world and find yourself moved to that same location in the real world. Similarly, when a path is blocked in the real world, you might find a passage in the shadows realm.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 11:28
There was also a preview key available for a 5 hour session that would have allowed to give a bit more details, but unfortunately I never received one, despite contacting various source. So you have to do with this
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 12:29
Are you saying that this is free if you own Shadows: Heretic Kingdom?

I might get Shadows: Heretic Kingdom if thats the game as this sort of looks like mindless fun
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#3

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 12:51
The devs have answered my question on steam.

Anyway you can buy Shadows: Heretic Kingdom from game.co.uk for 7 and should in theory get the new game free so I took punt and bought it. Lets see if it works!

Anyway I read somewhere that Shadows Awakening plays lot like the original Dungeon Siege (best game evar!) hence my interest in this!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 12:52
This looks interesting, though I understand that each of the two games included are only ~15 hours long.

But I'll keep an eye out.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:05
As far as I understood it the total game is just 15 hours, depending on how you play it. Then you have the different endings and the two other heroes, that have a different story and different quest, so if you want to do all three of them you are looking at 45 hours or so.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#6

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:09
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
As far as I understood it the total game is just 15 hours, depending on how you play it. Then you have the different endings and the two other heroes, that have a different story and different quest, so if you want to do all three of them you are looking at 45 hours or so.
I could be wrong, but as far as I understood what I just read, this game is really "Book I and Book II" - where Heretic Kingdom was only Book I. I believe each of those books are ~15 hours long.

If the combined length is only 15 hours for each playthrough, that's even worse. That said, I almost never replay games - so maybe it's different for others.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#7

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:16
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
I could be wrong, but as far as I understood what I just read, this game is really "Book I and Book II" - where Heretic Kingdom was only Book I. I believe each of those books are ~15 hours long.

If the combined length is only 15 hours for each playthrough, that's even worse. That said, I almost never replay games - so maybe it's different for others.
Same here, I don't replay games with different classes etc and to me if the combined length is only 15 hours, then its not even worth it for 7.

having said that, most people 15 hours translates to 20 hours for me but still…
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:18
It is at about 1:15 in the video, "The main story takes about 15 hours to accomplish", with approximately the same amount of side content, so it all depends on how you play it. If you are a completionist, it is apparently close to 30 hours
However only a part of those 15-30 hours will be different on a second or third play and only happens if you select another hero to start with as that hero has its own story and quests.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#9

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:21
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
It is at about 1:15 in the video, "The main story takes about 15 hours to accomplish", with approximately the same amount of side content, so it all depends on how you play it. If you are a completionist, it is apparently close to 30 hours
However only a part of those 15-30 hours will be different on a second or third play and only happens if you select another hero to start with as that hero has its own story and quests.
Oh, I meant the playtime for both main quest and side content (I always do as much as I can) - so it's probably 30 hours for me

Which is ok, I guess. I'll have to wait and see, but the screenshots look pretty good.

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#10

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:21
I can see in the article how that might be confusing, so I modified the text somewhat.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde
Myrthos is offline

Myrthos

Myrthos's Avatar
Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

#11

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:27
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
Oh, I meant the playtime for both main quest and side content (I always do as much as I can) - so it's probably 30 hours for me

Which is ok, I guess. I'll have to wait and see, but the screenshots look pretty good.
30 hours for both main and said quest in single play through is what I am also getting from steam discussions as well. I am happy with 30 hours for this kind of game anyway and given that I only need to pay 7 (fingers crossed!)
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#12

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:31
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
30 hours for both main and said quest in single play through is what I am also getting from steam discussions as well. I am happy with 30 hours for this kind of game anyway and given that I only need to pay 7 (fingers crossed!)
For me, length is very much about the kind of game it is. It's hard getting a read on this one, so I'll just have to try it - or hear more about it

If it's more like Diablo - then a shorter campaign is fine.

If it's a big and expansive CRPG - then it might not be enough for me

Darth Tagnan

Guest

#13

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:38
Not a fan of ARPGs but this looks interesting. But 40€ for 30 hours at max is too expensive imho.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw


Currently playing: -
Morrandir is offline

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#14

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,181
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:39
Originally Posted by Darth Tagnan View Post
For me, length is very much about the kind of game it is. It's hard getting a read on this one, so I'll just have to try it - or hear more about it

If it's more like Diablo - then a shorter campaign is fine.

If it's a big and expansive CRPG - then it might not be enough for me
Yes I agree. The impression I am getting is that its more of a Dungeon siege/Diablo clone so 30 hours is more than enough for me since these kind of games can get very repetitive very quickly. They are just mindless fun when you are in the mood for serious stuff.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 13:40
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Not a fan of ARPGs but this looks interesting. But 40 for 30 hours at max is too expensive imho.
Amazon has Shadows: Heretic Kingdom for about 7 as well so you can get this game buy buying Shadows: Heretic Kingdom. I would not even give this a second look at 40 euro!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#16

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 14:19
Owners of the previous game already have this game and it is an open beta on steam.
--
I do not know if there is a cut off date; meaning if you buy the old game today you can still get the new game. It would be good business sense if new buyers of the old game do not get the new game for obvious reasons.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#17

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 6,758
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 14:49
Originally Posted by you View Post
Owners of the previous game already have this game and it is an open beta on steam.
--
I do not know if there is a cut off date; meaning if you buy the old game today you can still get the new game. It would be good business sense if new buyers of the old game do not get the new game for obvious reasons.
This is a good point and I have asked this in steam forums but no answer yet. However, the dev has not said anything about cut off date either so its bit up in the air!
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#18

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 15:02
I've owned this game forever. If there is new content, I'm having trouble seeing it. It looks like the same game I played two years ago. It definitely isn't worth 40 anything. It's a much, much lesser game than Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. If you can pick it up for $15 or less, then I think it has enough fun to cover that. Think of this as of a single chapter Titan Quest or Grim Dawn where it ends after Chapter Two. That's this game. Plenty of fun for $15. Plus it's fun to hear Dr. Who narrating.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 7,510
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Default 

August 30th, 2018, 15:10
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I've owned this game forever. If there is new content, I'm having trouble seeing it. It looks like the same game I played two years ago. It definitely isn't worth 40 anything. It's a much, much lesser game than Kult: Heretic Kingdoms. If you can pick it up for $15 or less, then I think it has enough fun to cover that. Think of this as of a single chapter Titan Quest or Grim Dawn where it ends after Chapter Two. That's this game. Plenty of fun for $15. Plus it's fun to hear Dr. Who narrating.
The new game get released tomorrow so you might see it then.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

lostforever's Avatar
SasqWatch

#20

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Shadows Awakening Preview
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:16.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch