RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Sinking City Preview - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Sinking City Preview

Default RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Sinking City Preview

September 3rd, 2018, 14:13
I saw two lovecraft inspired games at Gamescom and The Sinking City was one of them.

Frogwares, who are developing The Sinking City, might be better known for their series of Sherlock Holmes games, of which they made several in the past. It is this type of investigation game that they wanted to port to the world of Lovecraft. The focus of the game is therefore on the story, taking place in an open world, where you are looking for evidence, talk to witnesses, cross-reference the evidence, solve puzzles and solve crimes, with some combat thrown in as well.
The game takes place in the partially flooded city of Oakmont, which has several public facilities, such as: city hall, the hospital, the police station, the library, etc. In these places you can cross-reference the evidence you have collected with the archives in these public facilities.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
+1:

September 3rd, 2018, 14:13
Time for another week of Gamescom articles. Here is the first one for this week.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:

September 3rd, 2018, 14:25
You say puzzles? Gimme!

Well… If they don't leave k+m controls in pisspoor state, of course.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)

September 3rd, 2018, 14:33
Looks like fun, though after having watched the video I think the game might be a bit too scary for my overly sensitive nerves.
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

September 3rd, 2018, 16:59
I like some of the ideas but the controls seem really klunky. Were they better when actually playing ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

September 3rd, 2018, 19:35
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Looks like fun, though after having watched the video I think the game might be a bit too scary for my overly sensitive nerves.
Play it in a well lit room I remember having quite a few shocks in CoCCotE…but that made the experience amazing. I also tend to leap off my seat when something comes lunging at me…which is why I'd never really enjoy truly immersive horror games :-o I'd be a bundle of nerves

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
+1:

September 3rd, 2018, 20:29
Originally Posted by you View Post
I like some of the ideas but the controls seem really klunky. Were they better when actually playing ?
With the controller the controls were OK. I wouldn’t describe them as clunky. I don’t know how it works with a keyboard unfortunately.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

September 3rd, 2018, 21:29
I played one of Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games, one of the newer ones but not the newest. I don't recall having a problem with m+kb. I do recall thinking it had a nice little mechanic for making connections between evidence gathered and figuring stuff out during dialogue. They also nailed the atmosphere, in general, for Sherlock Holmes.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch @ Gamescom - The Sinking City Preview