Legends of Amberland - Announced

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Kordanor pointed us to the announcement of the old-skool RPG Legends of Amberland.

The game is a classic western RPG inspired by the games from the 90s. Basically, it’s the kind of game I personally find missing nowadays. Light, fairy tale, epic, heroic and slightly humorous. One that does not take tons of hours to complete or require endless grind to progress. Something that caters to players like me who don’t have 40 hours to beat one game but still like to play and have a sort of nostalgia for the way games were made in the old days.

It was inspired by Dungeon Master, Eye of The Beholder 2, Might & Magic 3-5, Crystals of Arborea (a not so well known prequel to Ishar series), GoldBox series (Champions of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, etc).

Core design choices:
1) Classic, 90 degree rotation, FPP, turn-based, tile movement RPG.
2) Party-based (7 party members assembled upon start).
3) Open world with a big overworld to explore.
4) Fast paced combat. Quick travel. Easy inventory management. No grind.
5) Light, fairy tale like fantasy, epic story about heroes on a noble quest.

Mechanics:
Mechanically it’s 100% turn based (so you can go and make tea in the middle of a fight) with grid movement and 90 degree rotation. All this very fast paced, both combat and travel is really fast. The goal was to cut down the boring parts and flesh out the fun parts. Also, there is no loading screen when changing locations or other slowdowns.
Overall, the mechanics are pretty traditional and straightforward with modern additions like equipment encumbrance system.

More information.

Looking very much forward to this game. Hopefully he also can squeeze in a sufficiently interesting story.
Nontheless i would have liked to see a gridbased combat mode as in the Amber*-games (thought the "amberland"-part from the name was a hint to that) or for example as in "Lords of Xulima".

Also, because it really reminds me of MM3 the most, please dont forget those "monster generators" (like the goblin hut). Until you destroy them, monster respawn in the area, so it was really something (fun) to manage to destroy those.

Games like this give me a headache. My eyes keep trying to bring the blurriness into focus. I love the idea though.

Nice graphics and UI. He FKD Up the combat however. Needs more feedback, monster cries, etc.. so the player experiences satisfaction. It wouldn't hurt to increase the grittiness level as well, so players suddenly become careful, where they sneak around.

Looks good to me, reminds me of Might & Magic

Nice graphics and UI. He FKD Up the combat however. Needs more feedback, monster cries, etc.. so the player experiences satisfaction. It wouldn't hurt to increase the grittiness level as well, so players suddenly become careful, where they sneak around.

Imho that's actually what polish is for. ^^
I have no idea how far away the game is from release, but considering that this is the first video of the game and the second time they/he actually posted something on the site, I guess it's still pretty early and lots of time to improve stuff. :)

Looks like M&M 3-5, which are fun games, but very simplistic. I don't have the desire to play games that simplistic anymore.

Back
Top Bottom