|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Dungeon of Naheulbeuk Preview

Default RPGWatch Feature - Dungeon of Naheulbeuk Preview

September 10th, 2018, 13:47
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is a well known IP in France, but not so well known in the rest of the world. I had the game presented to me at gamescom to find out more and to write something about it.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is a parody on the likes of Dungeons & Dragons, Lord of the Rings and others. It features a band of travelers that are very inexperienced and have no names. They are only known by their class or race.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos is a new story in this series and is made in cooperation with the owner of the license. It is an RPG with turn-based combat and is fully voiced, which is good as there is a lot of banter between the party members, where they are bickering and disagreeing with each other most of the time. All the dialogues have the intention to be humorous, although I do think that some things were funnier than others. I didn't roll on the floor of laughter, but I did smile occasionally.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)

September 10th, 2018, 13:47
This is the last Gamescom article I have prepared.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

September 10th, 2018, 14:24
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
Congrats on kicking arse coverage wise.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

September 10th, 2018, 15:15
You're doing the gods' work, Myrthos, as usual.

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

September 10th, 2018, 16:47
If the game is well done it might be fantastic but if it is badly done it will suck
-
Not really enough presented to tell one way or the other.
Last edited by Gorath; October 18th, 2018 at 18:42.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

September 10th, 2018, 18:48
the IP and the game as well, are about not taking stuff, like this game and it’s characters, seriously. Whether or not that is well done, I can’t say yet. There are a number of things that can make people not like this game. If the humor isn’t spot on for you personal, I can imagine that the constant banter between the characters gets on your nerves.
That the characters are stereotypes, might also result in the characters not having much depth.
What I did not put in the article, because I didn’t notice it when watching the presentation, but noticed it when listening to the recording, is that the voice acting appears to be off for one or two characters. It sounded a bit too emotionless. That could be a disturbing factor for some, but it could also be just me.

I guess in France people will buy it just because it is a game in the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk universe. Outside of France I don’t think the IP alone is a reason to buy the game.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

September 12th, 2018, 16:17
The last? But you had more studios in your schedule, right? What about Mutant Year Zero, Pathfinder, CP 2077?
--
----------------------------------------------------------------
New videos of RPGs/story-driven games (+ENG subtitles):
https://www.youtube.com/user/Rastm4N/videos

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

September 13th, 2018, 00:15
You must have missed the messages about that. I couldn’t get an appointment for Pathfinder as the right persons were not responding to me in any way and form. I screwed up my calendar somehow and swapped Thursday afternoon with Wednesday. The result was that I missed Mutant Year Zero and was unable to make a new appointment as they were full.
I have the Cyberpunk article ready, but there is no point. There is nothing new it adds beyond what the video and the voiceover in the video mentioned. It is basically the same information.
--

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:

September 25th, 2018, 20:11
I guess in France people will buy it just because it is a game in the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk universe. Outside of France I donít think the IP alone is a reason to buy the game.
Le Donjon de Naheulbeuk is pretty famous over here in french-speaking canada, too ;-)

vanedor

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 11:12
Some cool stuff coming out of France recently like this and the Mutant Year Zero game.

edit: oops I misspoke. Mutant Year Zero is from Sweden. Dunno why I thought it was french, I guess it just had that vibe about it.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 12:55
The best thing coming out of France this year is Call of Cthulhu

Copper Coin

Outspoken D&D critic

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 14:14
I could see confusing the Swiss with the French but ….

Still some interesting games.

Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Some cool stuff coming out of France recently like this and the Mutant Year Zero game.

edit: oops I misspoke. Mutant Year Zero is from Sweden. Dunno why I thought it was french, I guess it just had that vibe about it.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 16:00
This isn't a series that I'm familiar with at all, but the premise sounds interesting and likely something that I'd take a chance on.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 16:22
Looks good to me. Only thing I didn't like from the description is that you can't heal between fights. I have a healer, I probably have potions, why would a bleeding character not get patched up in between?

wolfing

Dalek SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 23rd, 2018, 16:52
That actually looks somewhat interesting. A well executed parody can be excellent. A poorly executed one is.. not.

Maylander

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Maylander
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Dungeon of Naheulbeuk Preview